What does the future hold for Imps?

As is evident over the past few years we've seen a dramatic drop in activity on our forums (though that has been a continuous downward trend since 2011). This is in part due to the general decline of the English speaking community on Dofus but more significantly from changing trends in how we as players interact with the game and it's communities. Since 2015 Discord has clearly been the biggest challenger, taking over the role of large multi-server communities, guilds, events etc. The graph below from my ACP shows the extent of this:

Screenshot 2021-05-23 at 01.06.27.png

In the short-medium term there is absolutely no logistical need for Imps to be taken offline; but the community is running on empty. I feel I'm approaching a crossroads of what the future will hold for the site. Imps has rarely if ever 'advertised' itself as a place to be in-game or on the official forums and therefore relied solely on word of mouth to attract new users. As old timers have slowly quit and left, those mouths have left too. 

Though we have not gained many new users over the years, this (perhaps stupidly) gives me hope in theory that there is an untapped generation of players who could be attracted to our forums; but how can that be made a reality? I strongly believe that as far as functionality, spirit and good looks we have far more to offer than the official forums ever had... I mean they don't even have facepalm reactions over there? 

A few years ago we released the 'clubs' feature, but this was silently retracted shortly after for various... reasons. Today I've decided to rerelease this as 'Guild Forums' which can be accessed via the hotbar. There is a dedicated thread on that topic here. But tl;dr "The Guild Forums feature allows users to create personal spaces within the Imps Village site allowing you to manage your own forum communities for guilds and/or alliances."

I'm hopeful with uptake from a couple of guilds/alliances this may springboard some activity back into our forums from both brand new and former members. So my ask of you is to read the linked post above and consider whether this could add value to your guild/alliance. If the answer is anything between "yes" and "hmmmmm maybe? idk?" give it a try (or ask your guild leader if they'd be interested), share the link amongst your guildies and be part of #GrowImps2021.

I've also braved the official forums with a similar post here, though I admit I have no idea whether shilling external forums is allowed :rolleyes:

But ultimately the question I have is what else can we do going forward. Is there still a realistic place for Imps Village in the Dofus community and what could be done (both as a community and from my side) to grow?

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Kikn | Blank ⚪

I’m no longer an active user but I still stalk Imps from time to time and the users decline has always been noticeable and slightly depressing but it’s actually very understandable.

I remember I joined Imps back then because unlike the official dofus forums there were lots of pro players I looked up to on Imps, lots of advanced info, tips, guides, explanations for both PvM and PvP were available, and the community seemed to be actually involved in the gameplay (I mean people would rather discuss how to beat the hardcore dungeon than mindlessly complaining about everything like on the official forums), so for me Imps consisted of elite players making Imps a unique unrivaled elite forum and I wanted to join that circle. Imps community was also more lenient to different kinds of jokes and memes which suited my mindset more than official forums where everything would be either censored or receive a backlash from the offended people (and I don’t mean highly offensive jokes, just some simple jokes like calling a player bad because of the exo ring which lacks prospecting, etc.)

Now I feel there’s no reason to use the forums anymore, many of those elite players have quit the game and left the forums, those who didn’t quit dofus yet have nobody to share their awesome feats to anymore, and even the achievements (dung/quests) no longer hold any true value anymore (I think it’s partially because if you don’t play the game you can’t relate to it, partially because the game mechanics are the same e.g. just dung/quest/ornament/dreams grind over and over even with “newer” contents). Imps is also no longer a source of new updated and detailed info or guides both because of the users decline and the appearance of many newer information sites like dofensive.

Discord is indeed more used by players and even dofus reddit seems popular nowadays, I doubt I can personally help Imps with anything and have no suggestions. I don’t think there’s any severe problem with Imps, I just feel there’s no longer any incentive to use any forums at all (including guild forums) nowadays, even the official dofus forums are inactive as hell and survives only because it’s still the official forums and a source of official dofus news. It’s still mostly infected with inexperienced players and/or full-time complainers.

I do agree Imps is quite advanced in terms of functionality, I love profile customizations, unique user signature, relative freedom with posts/comments (in terms of formatting and censorship), sadly the lack of community nowadays reduces the value of those features.

Protecting Imps from recent spam attacks just for it to continue being inactive is sure depressing but absolutely not a fault of the admins, any forums are dependent on its community. In the end I’d still want to wish good luck to the admins with the Imps forums no matter which direction will be taken.

• Like 3

6qNldD0.png

Spoiler

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

bkhYCWb.png

XWF3kJF.png

Spoiler

:^))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

JMnAphG.png

I'll be blunt and I'm sure that I'll piss off a few old-timers but I'd rather get this off my chest, even if it is a call in the void.

Impsvillage never tried to be something that it wasn't and that made me love the site very much. I'd be humbled about my own efforts whenever an elite player would flash us their top tier inventory or achievement and it always made me strive for more. As the years rolled by, the forum began dying for a slew of aforementioned reasons, the main of which most likely was a lack of advertising- though doing so for a fan-made forum is tricky for any game, especially if official ones exist. The advent of Discord and Reddit's popularity sealed the case.

Though if I'm honest, the extremely tightly-knit community deterred me- as well as others I'm sure- from engaging too much with content at the time. Threads would start off innocently one way and end up being a meme-fest of recycled inner-circle jokes with a select group of users. This not only deviated from the purpose of most threads, but it also cemented an 'us' versus 'the other nobodies' theme that was hard to shake off. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this, nor was this a potent enough reason for Impsvillage's eventual collapse, but it always repelled me from being as active as I wished to be here.

In any case, I honestly believe that this forum has run its course. As hard as that is to digest, I doubt that some guild features will magically resuscitate, nor do I think you believe that. Impsvillage served it purpose, it created great memories and connected people together but I truly believe that sometimes... you just have to move on.

Thank you for your efforts, Kikn.

• Like 2

Its not the forum its the game that most people lost interest of... sadly...

What was that 2011 -> 2012 activity jump?  Dofus 2.0 ?

Edited by winged-one

Eniripsa Winged-one Pandawa Hubabuba Enutrof  Uncommon Rogue Cra Maiklnait
~*All professions 200*~

1 hour ago, winged-one said:

Its not the forum its the game that most people lost interest of... sadly...

What was that 2011 -> 2012 activity jump?  Dofus 2.0 ?

Good question. I think 2.0 was earlier than that?

It’s a jump from 1,400 monthly posts in March 2011 to 8,400 in August 2011. My guess is that data pre-2012 is under reported rather than a true spike. Might be something to do with 2006-2011 archivegate we had in 2013.

Kikn | Blank ⚪

As much as I loved to stalk Imps over the past 10 years, forums in general are dead af. Just migrate over to Discord, get some top players to involve with it and voila. It's just easier for everyone to use Discord (no additional accounts, easier to be involved and faster). Discord is essentially a forum marketplace. Think of it like the old Netflix (Imps) where they rented DVD's and the new one (Discord). Every guild has their Discord channels nowadays, Guild Forums will be obsolete. Gotta keep up with the times.

I've always liked Imps, not always an active user but still come here for information if nothing else.  I think forums are better for that personally and coming back to the game it feels like there is a general lack of English guides to things.  Sometimes I come back here just to make sure it's still here.  Thank you admins!

• Like 1

2012: Frigost III. Exp bonus. Six new endgame sets. Alliances (?). Öh. And more. 

Tldr;

The_Golden_One mentioned something that caught my eyes and I could relate to. Most likely because I was guilty, without really giving it a thought. It's often hard to adapt to an established community. Impsvillage has its own culture and all of us have been here for more then a decade. The atmosphere was somewhat rough compared to OF. Nothing compared to discord or reddit (latest works like piss imo). My endeavor with Ankama is no secret, even if it has changed. They killed the game at the same time as the community was aging. I remember looking in my former full friendslist to see nobody online. Before I left for retro, we had witnessed our guild and then our alliance with other guilds slowly die. In what used to be the biggest guilds on Rushu, we had about 10-15 actives combined. Several thousands of members and friends who had quit over 10 years. Ankama didn't listen. 

Then retro of course. This is declining as well, except from the extreme core of player's who refuse to throw in the towel. 

I'm still certain it would be possible to shake this place back to life, but this topic alone makes it harder. It's a confirmation more than an appeal imo. Impsvillage is a library. 

Short version: Ankama don't care. People got older and quit. Forums isn't popular. Libraries are interesting. You really read the long version first, didn't you? 

This is an awful function:

Screenshot_20210526_203516.jpg

• Like 2

The historical significance of IV is unrivalled! It's a shame Microsoft didn't manage to acquire Discord with their recent bid as I'm sure they'd have killed Discord eventually and Imps would be more popular again. 😉

There's only so much incompetence you can take, Ankama have managed to alienate so many of their older players who would still enjoy the game today, but they can't look past how much of an awful company they are and it ruins it for them. They consistently manage to make the game a pain to play with lacklustre management and poor decisions. I tried to come back on Ilyzaelle and I managed to get quite far into it, but I ended up quitting again due to above reasons. 

I think you'd predominantly get your new/old player coming back traffic from Ilyzaelle and unfortunately pretty much all of them know about websites such as Dofensive, DPLN, JeuxOnline etc and are more than happy to translate as they're used to interacting with French players.

• Like 2

i6UKAYi.gif

On 5/26/2021 at 7:36 PM, Youbutsu said:

This is an awful function:

It's there as database searches can be server intensive, but I've just significantly reduced the time restriction 🙂.

• Like 1

Kikn | Blank ⚪

On 5/27/2021 at 10:11 PM, Kikn said:

It's there as database searches can be server intensive, but I've just significantly reduced the time restriction 🙂.

Yeah, it was the time restriction I was referring to. Glad you got it 👍.

Don't ever worry about cost if that is the case. There are many people who'd donate to keep this up. Nobody wants their hands dirty anymore. I say you should just let it go to sleep alongside with the game. Both will always keep their charm either way. We wont get new players, only returnees. As always and unfortunate, a declining bunch. Rough estimation is only one fifth of our discord are active (100~ : 500~). No idea how it is at other networks, but experience tells me it's about the same everywhere.

I'll stay until either me or Dofus dies. Over €7 000 paid in subscriptions over the years. My stomach almost turns when I put that in writing, yet I know I'll double it and I'd also do it all over if I could.

You've officially become a Yosemite-Stan. Congratulations 🤟.

rip this forum was alot of fun with goult topics, drama threads, pvp screenshots, pvm achievements... but as others stated. it looks like the vast majority of players went to Reddit/ Discord Echo server(They post pvp screenshots here too now)/ Dofus server. (idk why it went to other thread

)

Edited by Uthman

Up to 4 (700x400) images, up to 4 URLs, up to 6 lines with an approximate total size of 700x400 for the entire signature.

I've always loved imps for pvm screenshot flex and quest help whether it was a guide or organizing people for some stupid requirements.

With imps dying past few years all I have left is grinding my alts and using google translate with dofuspourlesnoobs.

I've joined Echo Discord recently, but I don't like it. Discord is great for a small community or talking with friends, but I feel lost on highly paced chat.

I really like the forum structure and pagination, so I don't have to scroll forever if I was away for a bit.

This forum always felt like it's been run by 20-30 active people.

It's not impossible to do nowadays, but it's going to require some work.

I'll try to think what we could do in the upcoming weeks.

Kinda my fault too, been checking out the forum, but having seen nobody posting for months I didn't post as well.

Are you doing the same or it's just me?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The official Dofus Discord is where you go for help with quests /achievements.

Echo discord is where you go for a small portion of the echo community beware though plenty of trolls and doesnt represent entire echo as plenty havent joined it. there is an echo portal pos discord as well too.

Up to 4 (700x400) images, up to 4 URLs, up to 6 lines with an approximate total size of 700x400 for the entire signature.

Came back to the game a few weeks ago and was at a lost seeing most of my friendlist gone, OG guilds (pre 2.0 ones) being either gone or under different leadership. As a community hub Imps has always been a placed I liked to lurk and see how the community reacted to various events. As Ankama killed the large scale community events and the leaving of major figures of community management it's only normal to see a decline of forum usage from my point of view.

As a medium, forums are a dying form of communication, the instantaneous and more short interactions based mediums like Discord better reflect the current mindset of the "new" generation with its ease of use and versatility. On the FR side, JOL isn't seeing much activity either so this isn't something specific to the ENG Dofus community but rather forums as a medium I think. I prefer well separated and medium paced discussions based communities as it's easier to follow and participate in interesting topics and it's sadly something that is lacking in many Discord servers. Haven't looked yet at the Echo Discord but the "official" Dofus one isn't really intuitive to navigate.

I doubt introducing guild/alliances forums could bring back meaningful activity to Imps but I really appreciate the effort as setting up and maintaining forums/websites for offline interactions was always a daunting task for some of us but when handled well the payoff can be really rewarding and I'm sure some guildleaders out there would be interested.

Hey @Kikn is there a way to modernize current post editor? Maybe to include some html?

I'm working on new panda 3 dungs and it looks painful to write it all using current editor

edit: ye idk how to do this now

<p style="font-size:8px">test</p>

Edited by Horxy
1 hour ago, Horxy said:

Hey @Kikn is there a way to modernize current post editor? Maybe to include some html?

I'm working on new panda 3 dungs and it looks painful to write it all using current editor

edit: ye idk how to do this now

What kind of features is it you're looking for specifically? Support for BB code was actually very recently dropped, but for the most part all the functionality that offered is available within the current editor.

HTML formatting is disabled for users as it can be used maliciously beyond the intended use case - which is dangerous. 

Kikn | Blank ⚪