• Orange
  • Banana
  • Imps Green
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Dovahkiin

Higher GHz or more cores for Dofus?

I found a decent little i5 laptop at a good price that has a dual core processor clocking at 2.5ghz-3.2ghz turbo boost.

My question is will that laptop do well at replacing my i7 quad core processor laptop that runs at 1.6ghz-2.2ghz? At least for the time being, the i5 is just something I found in the area as a temporary replacement.

I wasn't sure if Dofus itself prefers to use up cores/threads rather than actual clock speeds. I've only ever run on my i7, so I'd hate to get this i5 and find out running six accounts is really sluggish, even on creature mode.

Edit: Ram installed on both laptops is 6gigs of ddr3.

Edited by Dovahkiin

What's wrong with your current laptop? Anything with any less than a quad-core CPU in it now is starting to become obselete, and DDR4 RAM has been standard for quite a while now. I don't know what Dofus prefers, but I'd probably still recommend going slightly higher if you can, especially after just reading this (after a quick search) https://www.dofus.com/en/forum/4-problems-solutions/332771-how-do-you-make-dofus-run-smoothly, where someone is complaining about bad performance with an 8-core CPU @ 4GHz. You obviously don't need to go that crazy, but a slightly more up-to-date quad-core would probably benefit you. Doesn't necessarily have to be an i7, though they can (do?) have hyperthreading.

Mind you, your previous i7 probably wasn't that high end either? If your budget is this limited, and you might not be able to find much better, and your previous laptop is no longer working, you could go for it, but I don't know how it will impact Dofus' performance.

As for games other than Dofus, which are certainly optimized to take advantage of multiple cores/threads, the extra cores can make a substantial difference.

Hope this helped, even if I couldn't be very specific to Dofus 🙂

Edit: CPU cache amount and speed is also something to consider when choosing a CPU, as well as its support for other technologies you may or may not need (e.g. virtualization)

You probably also want more than 6GB RAM, too.

Edited by Sommanker

Clock speed.

This is running on 8 chars. Since everything is rendered with the CPU it's getting taxed pretty hard.

Usually clock speed wins when it comes to dofus, but it seems it does make use of the extra cores.

Also RAM is equally important, I start with 500MB per client but after an hour it usually climbs up to 700 - 800MB.

cpu.gif

• Like 1

Does more ram equal more that will be used? Mine tend to start out at 700-800mb each.

Anyway, thank you for the responses, I ended up finding a 2.2-2.6ghz I7 HP Probook for $50. It's smaller and doesn't have a back lit keyboard but I tested 6 accounts on creature mode and I can move all 6 quickly with no lag, so that's all that matters to me at the moment.

i think the guy sold me this laptop so cheap because it came with no hard drive and when I booted it up for some reason windows didn't have any drivers loaded up on it at all. No Ethernet or wireless drivers. That was annoying, so I had just went over to the HP site and grabbed everything I thought I would need for the Ethernet  compatibility and out them onto an external 1tb. Then placed them onto the desktop on the HP and then loaded them up. That's the first time I've ever seen a laptop not get at least the ether net drivers on a clean OS boot. 

Even with the slightly lower Ghz, and 2 less cores, Dofus doesn't seem to suffer too much, probaby because this HP also has two added gigs of ram than the Dell had that I was using.bench.png.96750ebf8cf65d840a1dcd71c6d24033.png

Thanks again o/

19 hours ago, Sommanker said:

What's wrong with your current laptop? Anything with any less than a quad-core CPU in it now is starting to become obselete, and DDR4 RAM has been standard for quite a while now. I don't know what Dofus prefers, but I'd probably still recommend going slightly higher if you can, especially after just reading this (after a quick search) https://www.dofus.com/en/forum/4-problems-solutions/332771-how-do-you-make-dofus-run-smoothly, where someone is complaining about bad performance with an 8-core CPU @ 4GHz. You obviously don't need to go that crazy, but a slightly more up-to-date quad-core would probably benefit you. Doesn't necessarily have to be an i7, though they can (do?) have hyperthreading.

Just for clarity, the issues in the thread you linked were related to a client performance regression. The client does not usually perform that poorly, and there was a fix for that specific issue pushed within a couple days.

I noticed OP has already gotten a laptop for it, but for anyone else viewing this, More CPU cores, More clock speed, More RAM (in that order) when prioritizing performance for Dofus. This could change at some point, so if you are viewing this in the future, verify that is still accurate.

• Like 1

Don't get smth like a 2Ghz CPU with 8 threads, its bad for dofus. You need decent GHz as well.

Also, running windows there is a (new) option in the settings to render AIR stuff by GPU. I dont have that in linux and i assume iOS doesnt have it either. Just telling.

Good luck.

Edited by winged-one

image.png.cfe4405ce761f31ecee097e008fae579.png

After 2hours+ 

• Palm 1

Iv got a question

Would IPC be more important to dofus? since in my experience dofus doesn't really care about multicore processors, just really fast ones.

Also would there be performance issues because of dofus being wrote as 32bit and your running a 64bit system?

3 hours ago, RadioactivePoison said:

Iv got a question

Would IPC be more important to dofus? since in my experience dofus doesn't really care about multicore processors, just really fast ones.

Also would there be performance issues because of dofus being wrote as 32bit and your running a 64bit system?

IPC is the amount of instructions that can be done within one cycle. So of course any game would benefit of a higher IPC or core clock. Dofus favours higher core clock but is still multithreaded (see gif few posts above).

And no there won't be any performance issues running a 32-bit application on a 64-bit system. The WOW64 converter is highly optimized and you won't notice any performance loss.

• Like 1

After a few hours with multiple accounts turned on, RAM usage jumps up as Veldin showed. Usually when it becomes harder to play, I just log them all off and turn on a fresh client.