• Orange
  • Banana
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Kyek

Passing the crown

Howdy Imps!

For those who don't know me, hi! I'm Kyek. I created Imps Village in 2006 (12 years ago! Holy crap), and have been funding and maintaining it ever since.

Running this place has been pretty amazing for me. I was an active contributor here for years, even after my Dofus-playing days fizzled out. In the past handful of years, though, my role has been solely paying the bills and keeping the server hardware running.  ...with a brief stint to team up with Garne to create the badass forum theme ;-). Regardless, Imps and the friendships and memories I've made here will always be near and dear to my heart. There are still threads here that can still make me laugh so hard I cry, and there are real-life marriages that have happened solely because this place existed and encouraged people to connect. That's awesome.

But the nuts and bolts of it is, Imps deserves more attention than I can give it. Over time, we've seen the 'active user' list at the bottom of the site move from 200+ at any given time of day to, at times, single digits. I've also come to realize that, if Imps should ever fall offline, I'm not at a place in my life where I could be confident I'd be able to drop enough obligations to bring it back up. Which, as anyone who's ever run a server can tell you, that's not an "if", that's a "when". It forced a decision I was putting off making: Should I shut Imps down so that it can go out peacefully, giving the community time to save anything important? Or, should I find someone that this community can trust to not only keep Imps running financially and technically, but also give it the time it deserves to build the community back up?

I am incredibly pleased to report that the moderator Rob (Kikn) has taken up the mantle. Rob is super capable and excited to take this on, and I'm thrilled he's the one doing it. Not only is this a guy who has loved this place for years, he's also a long-time high-level staff member who's already been entrusted with the care of your account information. On the technical side, while it is always advisable to have secure passwords that you change occasionally, your passwords are salted and hashed (call it "encrypted" if that's greek to you) and no ownership change can ever expose that information. In fact, one of Rob's goals once the site transitions to him is to get Imps running on SSL (https) so your logins are more secure. You are in great hands.

Rob will post with his own thoughts and deliver more information about the timing, but we're looking to have a brief downtime tomorrow (Thursday March 15) to shift everything over to his name.

For my own part, I'll keep my account here and may pop in from time to time just to see how Imps is doing :). Regardless though, thanks for making this the incredible ride that it was. If you'd like to get in touch outside Imps, you can find me on Twitter and LinkedIn.

Here's to a bright future!

Kyek

• Like 19

Don't feel any pressure @Rob. Of course you'll get this forum active and flourishing again together with the remaining awesome crew (yes, even you @Kiba - despite all them hard feelings from 70 years ago). With the recent topic from Kyek I felt I wanted to log on and post.

I joined this place back when TS ran it not quite as successful as @Kyek. In the beginning it was filled with drama and e-penises (way worse then it was a while ago), but Kyek saw a golden opportunity to do something really good with this forum and he succeeded (I don't remember how it went, but I remember Time-Shaper being an ass about it). Some of you have been around as long as I have. It was thanks to this forum that the community evolved and the authors behind Wiki got information to contribute with the most. The Superlative Exemplar spirit leaked through this forum as well. Hats off for you Kyek.

Imps Village has had it's ups and downs the 12 years I've been apart of it and I've contributed to both. The past years I've been less and less active here due to various reasons, one being the younger audience and the more aggressive format on topics and posts, another reason being me stepping away from Dofus 2.x to Dofus 1.29 which is finished and doesn't attract much attention from the current player base . Yes, I was and am an attention whore.

I don't remember when or how I came across Rob but I've known him for quite some years now. He's the most badass troll I've ever met in this game. With troll I mean intelligent puns and making points by comparing issues to one another. I've also gotten to experience the serious side of him and his honest will to make the international community better. He doesn't care for bullshit, he's dedicated, honest and he wishes good for the good. It hurts to compliment him, because I know that he knows that I know. I don't use discord as you'd like me to, I don't use this forum as much as you want me to, we practically disbanded Blank (our guild) and we play on different servers. However, I sincerely have respect for you as a person and wish you the best of luck. You're the perfect guy to take on this task.

A sincere good luck to the both of you.

I also want to add that I found a nice surprise when trying to tag "@Kikn".

/Dan

• Like 6

This was super kind Dan, thanks :). Man, what a run it's been. It's great to see some of the original crew still around, though :).

What drama there was way back when. I didn't bother diving into IV history with my farewell post, but I wonder how many people remember TimeShaper's old forum, Amakna Square. And the fact that he dumped it one day and Quivitar picked it up and brought me on to help manage it. Then we had to cut ties with the old forum completely because TS abused his access and turned into a hellscape, and that's when IV was born. Wonder how Myriad is doing these days :)

This is such a bittersweet thing because so many of us literally grew up together. I wouldn't have admitted it at the time, being a college "adult" when I started all this, but man, we were all completely different people then.

It just feels great to know IV will get the attention it both needs and deserves. Rob, I would have been straight-up heartbroken to see this place get shut down just because my life wasn't conducive to it anymore. No matter where it goes from here, we made a pretty awesome call putting it in your hands. Thanks for stepping up :)

(Also, ahahahahaha I just tried to tag @kikn xD)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kyek said:

This was super kind Dan, thanks :). Man, what a run it's been. It's great to see some of the original crew still around, though :).

What drama there was way back when. I didn't bother diving into IV history with my farewell post, but I wonder how many people remember TimeShaper's old forum, Amakna Square. And the fact that he dumped it one day and Quivitar picked it up and brought me on to help manage it. Then we had to cut ties with the old forum completely because TS abused his access and turned into a hellscape, and that's when IV was born. Wonder how Myriad is doing these days :)

This is such a bittersweet thing because so many of us literally grew up together. I wouldn't have admitted it at the time, being a college "adult" when I started all this, but man, we were all completely different people then.

It just feels great to know IV will get the attention it both needs and deserves. Rob, I would have been straight-up heartbroken to see this place get shut down just because my life wasn't conducive to it anymore. No matter where it goes from here, we made a pretty awesome call putting it in your hands. Thanks for stepping up :)

(Also, ahahahahaha I just tried to tag @kikn xD)

Amakna Square, that's right! It could just as well have been named "Amakna Gossip Corner" haha. I even forgot the old name. I would've mentioned Quiv but he didn't leave such a fancy topic as you did when he left (and I've seen him lurking about every now and then as well). Myriad was actually the one who helped me and many others understand Dofus the first weeks. Without her, I wouldn't have kept on playing. She was however the second most nasty stalker ever seen on Dofus. Scary.

I was the same age (23) as many known and active players when I started playing. Lyahazard, Infernal (-Mmm), -Soviet, Wonger, -Cheska, Tasty, Luciferz and half of our old guilds (both Blank and Superlative Exemplar) to mention some and another few 100's. Some of the kids back then are adults today and successful in so much. It's been awesome to see some of these kids grow up to become great adults. Hell, one of them will even be the president of Morocco in a few years. Today I'm still 23 but I would lie if I said this game and this forum haven't made an impact on my persona, language skills and open mindedness (hi @Azaelya) even in adult years. You guys contributed with a lot to real people. You're awesome - and to someone like you, I don't hesitate admitting it contrary to the new administrator.

Myriad was actually the one who helped me and many others understand Dofus the first weeks. Without her, I wouldn't have kept on playing. She was however the second most nasty stalker ever seen on Dofus. Scary.

Hear hear. She made Dofus a lot of fun. But was also young and dramatic and didn't always make the best social choices. ...like basically all of us. People were ruthless to her though. Lots of kids not really understanding that they were attacking and ruining a real human being with the hatred they spewed out. I remember being really angry and making a big post about it way-back-when but I can't remember if that's when Myr faded away or if it happened later.

Hahaha, that list of names you posed takes me back though. TBH I wasn't 100% sure if Amakna Square was the right name or not, so I googled before I posted... and landed on superlativeexemplar.com, which still has some of my original design on it xD. This place is an endless pit of nostalgia.

43 minutes ago, Youbutsu said:

Hell, one of them will even be the president of Morocco in a few years.

FOR REAL!? Who?!

Thanks, though -- it was a lot of fun seeing how people grew up, and being part of it. Kind of cool how many lives changed because of a silly video game forum.

• Like 2

Thanks to @Youbutsu's bug testing, we've realised that the permissions for this sub-forum were slightly off. You should now be able to reply.

Apologies!

• Like 3

Integrate my topic then!

About Myriad: She kept on playing on Rosal for a few years when it launched. She made a huge impact for many players and didn't really care for what happened here. Last I heard she married her ingame spouse in real life :-). This was 8-9 years ago.

President Heros, du Maroc (even his nickname is political).

Edited by Youbutsu
Wow, he messed up the integration ^_^ [no I didn't, I was just practicing messing things up] - Rob]
  • Like 1

I don't accept @Rob as an authority figure. Go make Imps Village great again, Rob, or else!

(I'm joking, please don't ban me like one of your Welsh Masqs.)

• Like 5

Great choice @Rob Is an active and great imps mod ! Great to see him winning! #MakeIVgreatagain

• Like 1

@Kikn cheeky commie

• Like 2