• Imps Green
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal

Dofus Dungeon has been cancelled.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Are you serious? xD Source? xD

They're busy working on an Ankama space program instead; funded through Kickstarter. 

space.png

• Haha 1

Ok, not cancelled, but put on hold "temporarily" with all devs being sent back to dofus and wakfu. And it will continue to exist in spirit or whatever.

https://dofus-donjons.com/2018/06/20/dofus-donjons-le-point/

Google translate:

DOFUS Dungeons: the point
Dear all,

We made ourselves discreet these last weeks, almost absent, without note, without information, just some answers to the comments ... And you respected that. You waited, patiently. It is important to mention it, and we must thank you for it, because it allowed us to calmly consider the communication that will follow. And yes friends, you can well imagine that this silence is not without reason ... But I reassure you nevertheless: what will follow is positive. In any case, we consider it as such, because even if it implies some changes in our plans, it is nothing less than a new beginning. It was time for us, for Ankama, for our projects, to make important decisions and it is now done.
"But what is she stammering? "You say you probably ... I suggest you do not prolong this introduction and go directly to the heart of the subject.

DOFUS Dungeons: Why
We have already expressed it on different occasions, but it is essential to start from the beginning: DOFUS Donjons is born of a need, more than a desire, to propose a new experience to our fans, who are more in agreement with today's mode of consumption. We knew that the idea would not interest everyone, and what's more normal: what pleases one does not necessarily pleasing the other. But with this project, we were targeting a specific target, namely players who no longer have the time, or not necessarily the desire, to invest in every corner of a large MMO to move forward and have fun in to play. And given the comments we received, it is clear that this target does exist and we have not completely planted in our analysis and our response to the needs of our players.

But nothing is ever so simple ... Because the list of needs in question is long and varied, and if we must respond to the maximum, we must also prioritize them. Today, DOFUS Dungeons is not a priority compared to the expectations of the DOFUS MMO community. As we understood and by turning the problem around, we made choices and took the necessary action. DOFUS Dungeons will not continue its development as initially thought, and the DOFUS teams will be re-fused to work in the same direction.

DOFUS Dungeons: The Sequel
I told you in the introduction: this announcement is positive. Of course, at this stage of reading, she must disappoint those who were happy to edit DOFUS through DOFUS Dungeons. To these players, I will say only one thing: rest assured, it is only temporary. Remember what we told you from the beginning; DODo is a laboratory, a kind of test-tube, a place where you can imagine innovative concepts ... And all the work that has been done in this way is positive and inspiring. So rest assured, this is only temporary. Far from being aborted, the project will take the time to mature and evolve, it will be proposed to you later in a new form and at this moment, count on us to integrate you in the heart of its development.

Without pain and without regret, with a lot of enthusiasm and positivity for the months to come, we thank you for having followed us so far and for sharing your impressions with us. We will continue to exchange with you in this way and give you an appointment on our various current and future projects!

See you soon,
The DOFUS team Dungeons

• Like 1

LOL
Yeah let's waste energies and resources to projects that will be cancelled.

I'll bet that the next dofus update will be astrub and tutorial revamp.

• Like 1
  • Palm 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Matt5150 said:

I'll bet that the next dofus update will be astrub and tutorial revamp.

oh w8...

azk0t4G.png

yes please I'm reallyreally really really really really really really really looking forward to doing astrub quests again

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That's sad...I don't know if the community's outcry (the french one, since Ankama only listens to them), asking them to focus on their other games has anything to do with this...but if that's the case...enjoy your "new" revamped Astrub or whatever new costume you can spend your precious $$$ on so you can feel better about yourself.

Tot nailed it with the description for Dofus Dungeons with the whole different target audience, accessibility being key etc...but seeing how people prefer to play more of their old game instead of going forward because they invested too much time (and money) in it already...it's egoistic at best.

While I'd understand it from the Wakfu's community, especially with the fresh wound that Dy7's departure left, the Dofus one always gets new content at a faster pace than Wakfu, and is usually very well curated, together with all the infrastructures surrounding the game itself...I personally don't see any issue in them working on Dofus Dungeons...while it sounded very similar to the upcoming Dofus Cube...it would have been really cool to experience a "new" Dofus with all the promises of innovative mechanics & whatnot.

I don't know what to say...if that "change of plans" was mainly influenced by the community...then I guess we deserve all we got up until now from Ankama...

well, asking for a non-guaranteed game which targets a smaller audience in exchange for their main game which is btw their main income source is also egoistic

if only ankama could make new games while maintaining the same devpower it would be tolerable, but it's clear that ankama is not that big of a company, and spreading tiny forces amongst different projects would bring zero result in every project

1 more important note: from my experience ankama clearly has good artists, all of their arts are beautiful outside of context, but the game content never meets the advertisement expectations; just compare all games' teasers/trailers to the actual game; just check all dofus promo pictures compared most of sale products;

with the above knowledge one wouldn't be wrong to suspect the possible poor quality of ankama's new projects, considering even dofus itself has numerous features to be fixed

lastly tot and briss are amongst most stubborn ppl ever and their opinions aren't changed easily (e.g. compare dofus breeding feedback to breeding update), which means if they actually abandoned dofus dungeons it means they have realised themselves it wasn't an effective project

21 hours ago, Quadro said:

well, asking for a non-guaranteed game which targets a smaller audience in exchange for their main game which is btw their main income source is also egoistic

if only ankama could make new games while maintaining the same devpower it would be tolerable, but it's clear that ankama is not that big of a company, and spreading tiny forces amongst different projects would bring zero result in every project

1 more important note: from my experience ankama clearly has good artists, all of their arts are beautiful outside of context, but the game content never meets the advertisement expectations; just compare all games' teasers/trailers to the actual game; just check all dofus promo pictures compared most of sale products;

with the above knowledge one wouldn't be wrong to suspect the possible poor quality of ankama's new projects, considering even dofus itself has numerous features to be fixed

lastly tot and briss are amongst most stubborn ppl ever and their opinions aren't changed easily (e.g. compare dofus breeding feedback to breeding update), which means if they actually abandoned dofus dungeons it means they have realised themselves it wasn't an effective project

I don't think that'd be egoistic at all, it's not like they were sacrificing development power for the project, since (afaik) both Dofus and Wakfu have been in a pretty stale state for what regards actual content for a long time...so it's not like they have been working on this for the past half year (latest relevant content release on Wakfu) instead of new content.

You talk about "a smaller audience", and while that might be true in part, I feel like everyone would be interested in new projects from Ankama; The majority of people who are still invested in Dofus/Wakfu think they're gonna spend their whole life there and don't need anything else, but I'm pretty sure they'd still give it a shot and be happy about it, especially considering what it implies having something like Dofus Dungeons up for the other games (as I explained in my previous post).

Ankama's focus seems to always be on keeping their loyal fanbase instead of focusing on new players and advertising (as we all know), even though that doesn't always end well (see Wakfu).

Waven and Dofus Dungeons are exactly what they need (imho) to appeal to a wider audience and "renew" their old games. If they properly advertised and had a website that wasn't french-only (mono-language sites in 2018...really?) I bet a ton more people would have tuned in to check it out and give their *thumbs up* to the project.

Anecdotal evidence: I have a guild of 40 or so people on another game, NONE of those ever heard of Ankama or any of their games...when Waven and Dungeons "came out", I showed it to everyone...and most of them (as fans of RPGs in general, but not having that much time for the heavy-grind that some MMOs demand nowadays becasue of family, work, whatever) were very interested and excited about both projects (with Waven being on top).

You know what's the big issue? There's 0 coverage from famous videogame medias on ANYTHING that's Ankama-related: RPS, Kotaku, IGN, Gamespot, etc.

How can the devs figure out how much a product is well-received/wanted if they only focus on their small (but loyal), mostly french community? How can you hype up a project if you only talk about it in your little blog/website where if you don't know french, you're fudged? (Props to Gravestorm for the translation on all the blogposts for Waven)

A ton of people are looking for "something different", especially in this period where there's not much going on MMORPG-wise...but those people won't dig too deep, looking for something that tickles their fancy...if they see something cool on a news-site or on a storefront, they'll consider it and probably buy it.

With that said I'm well aware that Ankama is clearly not a big company and have to be very very careful on how they split their small pool of developers, and I don't fully blame them for going the "safe route", going back to work on the old stuff for guaranteed income, but it's very short-sighted and won't benefit them in the long run imho.

Edited by Musicist

I think there's more contradictions in this thread than in the Bible lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2