• Orange
  • Banana
  • Emerald
  • Ankama Brown
  • Charcoal
Sign in to follow this  
zilch

The PvP theorycrafting round table

For anyone who is interested in PvP (this should be applicable in PvM, too), I encourage you to post in this thread. I'm interested in discussing things that include (but not limited to) mechanics, itemization, match ups, team compositions and spell interactions. My objective with this thread is to increase the quality of player vs. player interactions by sharing concepts and ideas. As an avid competitive player, nothing is more enjoyable to me than going heads up against someone and outplaying them (especially if you're a "weaker" class).

by the way, I'm a Rogue. Have any inquiries about our specialties? Feel free to ask away. I know practically all there is to know about them, but I'm sure there are more things that I haven't discovered yet.

zminbgbk.gif

Sadeda r OP.

pls nrf. :(

Laguna - 200 Iop | Aboshan - 200 Cra
Tibalt - 200 Sram | Kefka - 200 Masqueraider | Nirvana - 19x Ecaflip

On 11/11/2013 at 5:12 PM, Fyorl said:

I am a terrible moderator.

inb4 the hordes of people who think this is a dofus thread because of 'recent topics'

One effect I've always been enchanted by, but I don't know how possible it'd be to use it practically, is Link of Pain. There are some pretty interesting possibilities with it, particularly Orb Armor + Link of Pain. It requires a sort-of specific initiative order(two possibilities are Eni right before Feca or target in between Feca and Eni with the Feca going first) but it's pretty neat because it essentially turns the target into a living bomb. Since Defensive Orb funnels all damage into a single single-target hit, and Link of Pain turns all single-target damage into an 8-cell AoE, you can turn your entire team's damage into a scary area of effect hit. How practical would it be to use in an actual combat situation? I dunno, but damned if it isn't cool.

You could, of course, also use that combo on a team mate who's about to die, but I don't think that would work as well in a pvp situation.

I think Link of Pain has some other interesting possibilities to be explored, too. In pvm I like to use it as what is essentially an 80% damage reflect for a teammate who's gonna get hit by some single-target close combat hits. Works really nicely against enemies like Wabbit Cavaliers and the big fungal dudes. Maybe this is something that can be used against Iops post revamp..?

In any case, sweet thread. Looking forward to reading about some strats!

Avatar was drawn by the wonderful Zoeduhu! Thanks Zo <3

a35fce7c54.png

It might be worth considering trying to come up with a tier list of sorts for both group and solo PvP. It's no easy thing to do and I've yet to be able to make one on my own because of so many pros and cons classes have.

Link of Pain is a pretty badass ability that's rarely used. Decidedly there are some key PvP components that no PvPer should ever go without knowing, such as the ability to Eniraser Perfect Armor off of an enemy or that Stabilization prevents an enemy with the Sacrifice state from being able to avoid the damage. As a Sram I love turning healers invisible, since so long as you don't deal damage you won't reveal yourself. Healing does not break invisibility.

Orb Armor has been one of the most powerful PvP tools in the game, as witnessed by the fights from the Corvun PvP tournament. In a meta where there are so many ways to prevent incoming damage, fast burst before the enemy can react is usually the only surefire method. However one thing I didn't see from the PvPers where there were Feca from opposing sides was to Provocation the enemy Feca before Orb Armor triggered, halving the damage if the Feca wasn't the recipient of the delayed burst.

Swk4VOl.png

Going off Orionelle Link of Pain, Orb Armour combo, You may possibly get away with doing it on a ally Sacrier, enu, or osa. allowing for a effective reviving human bomb. I like the possibility of sacrier as he can place himself right where it would be most effective.

Edited by Senru

I know that in one-on-one encounters that any class with utility and/or sustain/damage mitigation lead the current meta so I'd start from there if it ever comes down to constructing a tier list.

An interesting thing I discovered was that if a Rogue finished off a target with Hammle Mark on a Fusillade turn is that they could actually move during that state.

There's a cute partnership with Fecas and Rogues that I was going to showcase during the Corvun event, but since I was disembodied pretty early on, I couldn't show it off. To expand upon Mango's Orb Armor comment, I discovered that since the delayed damage was localized on the Feca, that you could create a pseudo Perfect Armor by using Smoke to circumvent the damage. The idea is to have the Feca (preferably ally, but an enemy works, too) apply Orb Armor, the Rogue moves away from the Feca and then when enough distance is gained, activate Smoke. Even a level 0 Smoke is adequate enough to do this, you'd just have to move more spaces away from your ally (or enemy). Now, I'm not sure if this would be a way to pull off the bomb trick so that's something worth taking to the lab.

zminbgbk.gif

Going off Orionelle Link of Pain, Orb Armour combo, You may possibly get away with doing it on a ally Sacrier, enu, or osa. allowing for a effective reviving human bomb. I like the possibility of sacrier as he can place himself right where it would be most effective.

Link of Pain can no longer be applied to allies as of tomorrow. The reflect was fun while it lasted :(

Avatar was drawn by the wonderful Zoeduhu! Thanks Zo <3

a35fce7c54.png