• Banana
  • Imps Green
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Sign in to follow this  
Gato-Gato

Eliotrops - what to do with it?

I started an eliotrop, she's pretty and all but I have no idea what element to chose yet.

Water seems fun but hits like a piwi? D:

so here is a thread to share ideas and feedback on the class as not many of us could try it on the very laggy beta-test server ^^

eliotrops of the future past, share your discoveries :D

• Like 1

I haven't done anything on beta at all, so I guess compared to others I'm way behind. So far I did some testing out of curiosity and the class has potential for pretty much any aspect (imo).

The map control is almost OP Lol. Needless to say depending on the map you could loop around if chased by a lot of monsters (or players!) or something such as in duos while either deactivating the portal that they can reach you with, or just staying on top of it so they are unable to access it till you decide to move on your following turn.

Panda barrels seem to pull chars through the portals and depending on how close the portal is from the target, the release out of the other portal is symmetrical to the distance the barrel would have pulled (same for Sac Attraction and Eca's Fate of Ecaflip and I guess other push/pull spells).

Lot of Masqueraide shenanigans too (Decoy/Reinforcement/Boliche but Bling just stops once you pass through), and this also was a good way to extend how far the normally limited in range Feca glyphs go (amazing for large maps). You can turn a close combat team into a threat for long range teams quickly, and it's got a lot of neat combos for Sacrier coop/trans and such. As far as offense goes, I have no idea what to throw on my Eliatrope. Some spells (I think str one) and others heal Vit% based so I might end up rocking a standard power set like Tread or something lol. The portals buff damage and heals too so seems like you can sacrifice some stats to make it more tanky or something if you wanted. They remind me of Rogues kind of… in their case they use bombs, but the more bombs there are for the chain, the greater the damage. Similarly, portals chain more damage/heals I think, so at the end of the 4th portal where an attack/heal is spit out, the resultant increased by a lot more than what it would have been at the start.

The class has potential for pushback too. Fogger and Mask could be a threat with the positioning of portals and through the (I think it was Agi and Chance spells) that dealt potential PB damage.

It just looks like a class that could be good for any situation. If you aren't about that portalception business you could still do the "Iop way" and hit stuff. Area of effect spells are transferred through completely. My All or Nothing didn't even hit/heal me (the caster). This is pretty sick for healing teams or nuking from a normally impossible range.

(Sorry if thoughts were unorganized lol, was just dumping literally everything I could think of after testing with my chars)

Edited by Dollsumoner
  • Like 1

As for an element, you don't want to stick with a single element. The eliotropes damage comes to life only when hitting through portals, and when you do it's great.
I'm making mine hybrid I think. The eliotropes spells are really limited as a mono see.
You can really pick any combination because all of the elements are viable.

It all comes down on how you place the portals and how fast you know how this will affect your current portals.

It may seem difficult at first, easy after 1 hour, but you'll notice that it'll take a very long time to really master all of this,

and it's even very situational in which combo's you're going to use it.

You have to think about how you want to use it, spells and tele, and how you think your enemies are going to try to use it,

and merge both goals: make you can use it but the enemies don't...

I'm playing around with a little Elio on a spare account (F2P). Portals are not easy to use (they don't seem intuitive, but maybe I haven't explored enough.) Sure you get a little bonus damage out of portal, but more often than not, unless you deactivate the portal, you'll have something in your face because it will run through the portal after you use it. And because there's no "aiming" through a portal, you have to move around to use portals for damage. I don't know… maybe I just prefer straightforward classes/strategies instead of convoluted maybe-it-works-maybe-it-doesn't approaches.

Well, it is annoying for starters that Ankama immediately gave AI the ability to calculate the perfect move to use portals. Monsters hit and move through them with ease and they don't need the same time as a human player to work that out during their turn. This makes it a real hassle to even try and learn portals because AI will be better at it all through the process.

For the sake of general class learning curve, I would have really preferred the classic progression: AI too dumb - people figure out ways to use portal combos - Ankama buffs AI.

All in all, I am not really content with the main gimmick of the class, which is the portals. Too ambiguous in their usefulness... although that also goes for bombs and turrets, in that they can harm your own team as well if used incorrectly. But I prefer bombs/turrets because it's harder for enemies to actively use them to their benefit (at least in PvM which I am pretty much exclusively talking about here), and the classes themselves have more ways to manipulate the use of "their thing".

The Neutral spell is fine and all and 2 uses per turn sounds great, but the range is too short (and not boostable). You cannot move an inconvenient portal and trying to replace it gives me a minor aneurysm (takes basically 2 turns of reshuffling everything you got).

Maybe I'm just spoiled by Fogg and Rogue, because their class shticks just feel way more flexible. You can move you things after casting, replacing or removing a stray bomb/turret is simpler, and AI has fewer options to benefit when the setup is not optimal for you.

Also, I'm really sad that the first strength spell you get (can't remember the name, the one that attracts to the center of the AoE) can't even be targetted on portals.

(As a small side note though, I am really thankful for the existence of the newish(ish) craftable spell unlearning potions, because they make trying out the elemental spells before you settle on a build way easier.)

• Like 2

I'm loving it so far, from testing it at lvl 200 on beta and running Field dungeon on Rosal.

About the AI using it well, I'm not sure how they could be made to not use them as well, but I assure you with some practice you can easily get in the right mindset to be just as good with Portals. :) It becomes more intuitive when you realize that what's important is not wher eyou place your spells, but where you place Yourself when casting. And yeah, it's too bad Neutral doesn't have more range, I feel the Elio is most at home in midrange anyway, not too far from allies(to heal) nor enemies.

And that earth spell Ala, while you can't pull onto a portal with it, you Can pull onto a trap portal. ;) so at least there's that.

What I intend to eventually do with my hybrid Eliotrope is just play around with the map manipultion and mechanics my other characters already have(sacrier, mask, fogger, sram..) but with Portals. Maybe with portal damage buffs my characters can even deal damage. :D

Im considering going agi/cha on mine.

I am not actually talking about positioning to hit through, because I don't care much about that.

In a small setting (chars, monsters, portals all short to medium range) the hassle of positioning does not even seem worth it to me for a damage buff (because hey, portals get me locked by something anyway, because everything runs through them to tank).

In a ranged setting this works maybe for a turn, then stuff moves so awkwardly I would actually have to move the portals or build my turn around getting in a position for it.

It just feels too gimmicky to rely on the portals for hitting through... maybe I'd care if I were an Iop or something (and had less awkward minimum ranges and diagonal spells and stuff like that).

Nah, what I actually found more interesting to use portals for was using them to herd monsters, block off certain paths or unlock. And there I find it damn annoying that AI can really, really predict that well. I'd much prefer if they would maybe avoid the portals then and try to run around, but they don't. They may, for example, specifically run away from you so they can reach a specific portal that brings them right up to you, avoiding obstacles or locks, with exactly enough MP to tank.

I find that pretty annoying. I expect that from an experienced player maybe, but not from a low level monster.

Meh *rant over* I will probably level this nub and take it through all sorts of endgame content just so I have something to do, but I doubt I will keep it in the long run because I don't see the big appeal after the novelty wears off.

Well the AI dominance might be a bitch for PvP, but damn, eliotropes absolutely inexorably PWN in kolo. I was using a really simple 11/6/6 danathor elio in combination with an 11/6/5 nomarow eca, and once I got the hang of the class they stood on beta with with a 20+ win streak. At first it was just against peeps too retarded to get how the portals work, but then came the OP monochrome frenchie teams, and they didn't stand a chance either, most of these wins had all three on my side still alive and kicking.

As for the OP, I used a 1.3k ish effective chance set with +98 effective damage and the hits were by no means piwi.

Also, being able to hit through walls with Audace means I don't have to worry about being hit back as much, while still dishing out 2 x 1000ish damage for 8 AP from behind the wall at the far end of the map.

The portal mechanics basically allow for two simple portal systems (besides several fussier ones): the first starting with your opponent and ending with you, and the second the other way round (in terms of chronological order of casting of portals). When 4 portals are cast, casting a spell on the 2nd or 3rd one will warp the spell to the portal farthest from that portal, which in case of either of the two above mentioned systems means the 4th or 1st one respectively. Same rule for casting on the 2nd portal in a 3-portal system. And if you need help with 2 portals, go play DOTA.

Hope this helps

Edited by Robeine
  • Like 1

PvP aside, where do these classes REALLY fit into the PvM world.

I literally just created one, read all the spells and killed a few things with portals and logged off. So I'm not really sure. But do they fill the healing / damage role to a degree that they could be simply dedicated to it? Mainly interested in healing but I'm not 100% sure because of the portal state requirement. Or is it just another class that can do a few things but just not quite good enough? Either way they seem fun, if only because it's something new.

#videomontageofportalplays

This class looks so tempting to come back.... Must resist! Good combo could be sram traps+ portols gg

• Like 2

This class looks so tempting to come back.... Must resist! Good combo could be sram traps+ portols gg

Ikr.

Elio turn: Cast 4th portal near enemy and dish out OP damage from the 2nd

Sram turn: Chakra and push enemy through portal 4 to portal 1, where a chain of traps he could've noncholantly spent all game making is waiting to eat up whatever poor schmuck you send, plus full heal for sram. Yummy.

None of this benefits from the portals' damage increase. I'd much rather cast lethal attack or con through portals. Poison isn't amplified and traps aren't either if I interpret my limited testing correctly.

imo the portals are not going to be used at all to do what they're meant for: constant change of the battlefield and positions.

Instead of it, i think they will be placed safely, to strike once with a big combo when a charged wrath can be used to deals triple damage from distance, or to put a boss into a trap chain etc...

imo the portals are not going to be used at all to do what they're meant for: constant change of the battlefield and positions.

Instead of it, i think they will be placed safely, to strike once with a big combo when a charged wrath can be used to deals triple damage from distance, or to put a boss into a trap chain etc...

I agree,haven't figured out a better use in pvm yet....

especially for epic lvl where u don't want epic mob to go in ur face using ur own portals...

Are trap chains really a thing? Legit used? All examples I've seen in videos have been gimmicks.

Are trap chains really a thing? Legit used? All examples I've seen in videos have been gimmicks.

Every person that has ever done a pvm fight together with my sram knows that trap chains are a legit use in pvm fights.

• Like 4

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCisgQlmf3KBJppZgYK81ezQ or just type Jadajakp in youtube... Old friend of mine from rosal... moost know him as a eca but he got some badass 1 vs 3 kolo and his 150sram vs 190+/200s trap chain pvp style.. Pretty amazing and almost made me come back to Dofus seeing how OP int/str Srams can be now.

• Like 1

Ofc they are, i 1 trap chain k.o QoT on turn 3 this way.

• Like 1

There is an actual video on the youtube link i gave you guys with an elio+ trap chain.... Looks damn OP if you ask me to play with in pvp

The link is actually broken for me D: tells me his YT channel doesn't exist!

• Like 1

Damn ok just type in Jadajakp in youtube

Found it... holy shiet.

I give 10MK to the person that can actually do exactly that in real PvP

• Like 1