Official Wakfu English Dub Kickstarter!

The WAKFU animated series is ready to cross borders! Today, Ankama is turning to Kickstarter to raise funds for a high-quality English dub for WAKFU. We’re putting the future of the Brotherhood of the Tofu in the hands of our fans and we have never been more excited!

2f69ce4b1fb833d38e7bf6c957856d11.jpg

It’s no secret that English-speaking fans of the WAKFU series around the world have been asking for an official English release of the series for years. And now, finally, Ankama is going to let these fans have it their way… by giving them control of the dubbing project through Kickstarter! Join the adventure on Kickstarter, follow us on Twitter, or visit the new WAKFU series website to learn more!

• Like 2

IAa33gE.png?1

Zatoïshwan

Llama: 200 Chance Panda

Zelda: 199 Strength Foggernaut

Katara: 194 Agility Cra

Rushu
Shampoo: 199 Res whore Feca
Gallifrey: 175 Profession Feca

They didn't want to pay for it?

They probably can't even afford it rofl. Terrible decisions leads to lack of cash to invest on projects :P

Avaricia XelorInhutil EnuMutilate SramIracunda EniOrgullosa IopLujuria ElioEnvidioso PandaGulattony Eca

They probably wanted to test the waters and see if there's any interest in the english community. There's a difference between funding the show with hopes that it'll create proffits and getting the cash in advance before starting on the project. For anyone who wants to point out "bad decisions," they should be supporting this since this way ankama isn't taking a monetary risk.

• Like 1

How is fan support suppose to help to sell it to any cable/TV?

Modra Krev (Rushu) brakmarian perc protector from 2005
guild blog owner - dofusmk.blogspot.com

Krako Interserver Inc. We sell mounts on every international server. Faster. Stronger. Colourfull. And happy!

krakonossig2.jpg

While I think the series is really the best form of advertisement for Wakfu and even Dofus (especially compared to any retarded commercial they've had before), I have to say I'm growing quite tired of this whole "kickstarter campaign so the INT community can get stuff the French had ages ago". Want krosmaster boardgames in English? Kickstarter! Want the anime in English? Kickstarter!

It's a French franchise, we get it. We've been used to that fact for years. But at the same time, Ankama has not been in three-guys-in-a-garage mode for over a decade. Now I think it's very obvious Wakfu is understaffed as hell like Dofus used to be in the old days, possibly even underperforming revenue wise (which I doubt) but god damn. Instead of launching big stuff like the anime/physical krosmaster simultaneously at least for the big communities, they just do this. Seems more likely we'll get a kickstarter campaign to translate the new Dofus/Wakfu update into English before we get a simultaneous launch of something big.

/rant

• Like 2

71Dq4HB.png

While I think the series is really the best form of advertisement for Wakfu and even Dofus (especially compared to any retarded commercial they've had before), I have to say I'm growing quite tired of this whole "kickstarter campaign so the INT community can get stuff the French had ages ago". Want krosmaster boardgames in English? Kickstarter! Want the anime in English? Kickstarter!

It's a French franchise, we get it. We've been used to that fact for years. But at the same time, Ankama has not been in three-guys-in-a-garage mode for over a decade. Now I think it's very obvious Wakfu is understaffed as hell like Dofus used to be in the old days, possibly even underperforming revenue wise (which I doubt) but god damn. Instead of launching big stuff like the anime/physical krosmaster simultaneously at least for the big communities, they just do this. Seems more likely we'll get a kickstarter campaign to translate the new Dofus/Wakfu update into English before we get a simultaneous launch of something big.

/rant

If Ankama was reasonably confident that dubbing the anime entirely with their own funds would bring profit, directly or increase subscribers to Wakfu and Dofus, of course they would do it. Ankama might have developed a lot over the years, but they probably don't have an English voice-acting department yet. I think fans of the series should be just grateful for the opportunity to help bring this to reality.

• Like 1

:sadi:200 Happida |:fog: 200 Pirate-Bay | :hupper: 200 Fu-rinkazan| :rogue: What-Happen

? Arches | ? dofustreasure.net | dofusportal.net | dofusidols.info

If Ankama was reasonably confident that dubbing the anime entirely with their own funds would bring profit, directly or increase subscribers to Wakfu and Dofus, of course they would do it. Ankama might have developed a lot over the years, but they probably don't have an English voice-acting department yet. I think fans of the series should be just grateful for the opportunity to help bring this to reality.

Hell, I'm sure they also don't have a small army of French voice actors coming to work every day. But this is besides the point. Also I don't see how dubbing the franime will reduce the Dofus and Wakfu player base, provided it actually airs somewhere. Yes, I'm aware Ankama is a business, but I don't think I should be super grateful to have the opportunity to throw additinal money at Ankama so they can do something they should have done on their own from the get-go. Whether or not the the series would generate enough of a return or a major playerbase increase depends on a lot of factors and how the whole thing is executed, not on whether or not some guy thinks it's more convenient to just kickstarter all the things.

What I vented in my previous post was my just my personal opinion and I don't think it's entirely beyond reason, not just mindlessly bashing on Ankama. It just rubs me the wrong way when they keep asking us to fund their projects, especially after most of the stuff that occurred in the second half of 2013. They've been saying they're trying to expand themselves and reach a broader audience but in may ways we seem to be the ones who are asked to actually make this happen, which is pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Really hope they don't just kickstart everything they're not too sure is worth doing return wise, it's getting a bit old. Just my two cents.

Anywho, the community seems to have responded quite well to it all as can be clearly seen by the kickstarter results so far. So hey, maybe I'm just cynical that way, who knows. ;)

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

71Dq4HB.png

They are actually doing ok, raised more then half of the asked money in 2 days, and there is even one backer with 4000$ already. Anyway, win/win for us, passive consumers... :)

• Like 1

Krako Interserver Inc. We sell mounts on every international server. Faster. Stronger. Colourfull. And happy!

krakonossig2.jpg

They are actually doing ok, raised more then half of the asked money in 2 days, and there is even one backer with 4000$ already. Anyway, win/win for us, passive consumers... :)

Yea they're doing great. I took a look at it yesterday when they posted it and they were only at $8k. After they started announcing it it raised to $51k in one day.

hello :)

i wondered long ago why ankama never bothered at least to spend the french dvd sets of season 1 and 2 an english subtitle.. ~that~ would have been pleasing enough for me to buy both..

oh and... lets hope the english version isnt even half as messed up as the horrible german tv release.. the voice acting was cheesy and several episodes where censored or even completely left out.. >.<

RetMaryGroup.jpg

Retefith: lvl 100 Hunter and lvl 100 Sushichef

Miss-Bloody-Mary: lvl 100 Daggersmith, lvl 100 lumberjack and lvl 62 Shieldsmith.

Brother-Heiner: lvl 100 Tailor, lvl 100 Wandcarver and lvl 100 Axesmith.

Max: Fritz! Fritz, get up for God's sake! Get up! They've killed Fritz! They've killed Fritz! Those lousy stinking yellow fairies! Those horrible atrocity-filled vermin! Those despicable animal warmongers! They've killed Fritz! Take that! Take this! Take that, you green slime! You black hearted, short, bow-legged...

Kickstarter is excellent for companies. Die-hard fans pay for a product they want, company gets less expenses. I should think of a project and kickstart it :P

Avaricia XelorInhutil EnuMutilate SramIracunda EniOrgullosa IopLujuria ElioEnvidioso PandaGulattony Eca

I'm loosing faith in this kickstarter. I don't think they'll make the 80k goal before the time's up D:

lol..

Proud Leader of Rosemary

I  can't be bothered to be active enough on imps to care enough to update signature..

I'm loosing faith in this kickstarter. I don't think they'll make the 80k goal before the time's up D:

lol..

They already did...

And because Ankama already have enough money, you might consider to support another kickstarter project that just started... ;-)

Edited by evilmind
  • Like 2

krakonossig2.jpg

Kickstarter is excellent for companies. Die-hard fans pay for a product that's being held for ransom.

:(

• Like 3

Laguna - 200 Iop | Aboshan - 200 Cra
Tibalt - 200 Sram | Kefka - 200 Masqueraider | Nirvana - 19x Ecaflip

On 11/11/2013 at 5:12 PM, Fyorl said:

I am a terrible moderator.

To answer and reiterate some points made above, this actually can help the series get sold to English language TV stations because there's solid proof right here that there is a decent level of interest in such a series being translated and hopefully fully dubbed. Whereas previously, there wasn't any solid in-your-face proof that the English community really wants the series. People actually putting money forward for something speaks much louder than people just saying things on the internet.

That's also why Krosmaster required a Kickstarter. The French love everything Ankama so a board game is totally a great plan, but they didn't know for a fact that the same thing would be as warmly received abroad until they had the cold hard numbers + the ability to make the investment risk-free.

Ankama probably does have the money for this, but as stated above taking the risk without solid evidence that their investment would turn a profit is not a smart thing. With this, Ankama can now leap into the fray with minimal risk, and more confidently invest their own dollars into future similar projects.

Ankama can just throw all sorts of effort towards making French products without a second thought because there's a much better chance of turning a profit. They pretty much know for a fact that they could literally sell their own feces to the French and they'd buy it.

Edited by Kiba
  • Like 1

Whereas previously, there wasn't any solid in-your-face proof that the English community really wants the series. People actually putting money forward for something speaks much louder than people just saying things on the internet.

>Implying there isn't already a fan subbed version on download/torrent websites, the latter of where Ankama could've seen seed/leech ratios and a 15 Page thread on Imps on the series.

Perhaps excessive exposure to dubbed Japanese anime has blackened my soul, but I personally don't care for either A) Hearing cardboard people talk about Eliartroopes and warkfoos, or B) Steven Blum and Tara Strong.

• Like 1

Laguna - 200 Iop | Aboshan - 200 Cra
Tibalt - 200 Sram | Kefka - 200 Masqueraider | Nirvana - 19x Ecaflip

On 11/11/2013 at 5:12 PM, Fyorl said:

I am a terrible moderator.

>Implying there isn't already a fan subbed version on download/torrent websites, the latter of where Ankama could've seen seed/leech ratios and a 15 Page thread on Imps on the series.

To me, "look at all of the money that people have committed to this!" seems like a much better selling point than "look at how many people downloaded the fansub and maybe watched it without having solid data outside of the Torrents that we know of, and how many people post on niche internet forums about it!".

• Like 1