• Orange
  • Banana
  • Emerald
  • Ankama Brown
  • Charcoal
Sign in to follow this  
Bright-Lord

The Magus Cookbook ~ Priest

The present order of things keeps making the rich richer and the poor poorer.

I hope this thread I'm opening can play some part in changing that :)

As I have more or less quit dofus 'til June next year,

I shall now regularly add my maging secrets, gimmicks and money-spinners, all in raw mathematical detail to prevent any confusion.

~Priest

(N.B. The reason I decided to open this thread in the Informatory and not in Professions is because I do not wish to restrict it to a particular server.)

EDIT : I will be adding a Hax Tip after every 5 tips. Mages for whom the regular tips are old-school can rifle through just these tips if they prefer. :)

~Maging Secret #1~

Success rate for exo of AP or MP is generally agreed upon as 1%.

To calculate the probability of getting a successful exo in, say,100 tries, use the formula

P(x=r) = nCr p^r q^(n-r)

where p=0.01, q=0.99, x=1, n=100.

For probability of getting more successes, you can use x=0,1,2,3,...,100

For your chances to get atleast one success, use

P = 1 - (q^n)

It's an old 11th grade formula I still use in dofus

~Priest

Edited by Robeine
  • Like 3

6b2cf0cd-74c5-4453-8f6f-3cdfed9297ec_zps93ff94c3-c58c-49f9-b608-6ba86412cc17_zps

~Maging Secret #2~

When trying to exo an AP or MP while also trying to retain the item's inherent stats, take care not to OVERmage the stats while restoring them between exo attempts.

Doing so will give you a near-certain critical failure, causing that stat (and possibly others) to drop to zero!

~Priest

Edited by Robeine
  • Like 1

6b2cf0cd-74c5-4453-8f6f-3cdfed9297ec_zps93ff94c3-c58c-49f9-b608-6ba86412cc17_zps

~Maging Secret #3~

Except for end-game pieces, never, ever use Ra runes to restore stats between exo attempts.

Pa runes will suffice to get back near-perfect stats (say 47/50), and using Ras will only cut into your profit.

~Priest

~Maging Secret #4~

Whenever you're a little too low on kamas, buying and vit-maging on noob-level crit/dmg equipments that sell fast (Gangster Rings, Lars Ammies, Ringtrees, etc.) is a great way to kick yourself back up.

Item and rune cost included, your profit will be some 3 to 4 times your cost price. :)

~Priest

Edited by Robeine
  • Like 1

~Maging Secret #5~

When overmaging epic level pieces based on the sink of a lost AP, MP or Range, it is much more advisable to slap it back on a critical success and THEN overmaging, rather than overmaging and hoping for a critical success later.

~Priest

Edited by Robeine
  • Like 1

~HAX TIP #1~

Exo Maging Dissected

Exo maging is THE way for us mages to earn our hundreds of millions.

If you are a level 100 magus, you would save/earn a LOT of money on exos if you DIY.

This concise guide includes everything of importance, for MP-maging a

BEARBARIC WEDDING RING

+201~250 Vitality
+41~60 Chance
+41~60 Agility
+31~40 Wisdom
+1 Range
+301~400 Initiative
+7~10 Prospecting
+8~12 Water Damage
+8~12 Air Damage
+4~5 Lock
+5~7% Resist neutral
+5~7% Resist earth
+5~7% Resist fire

The steps involved are as follows :-

I] Obtain atleast
(1)100 MP runes, by
(i) Buying
OR
(ii)Grinding, crafting & crushing for ~5hrs (assuming you have a level 100 miner and shovelsmith)

(2)The runes of the stats you want to retain on the ring.

I advise buying them by need rather than beforehand.

Amt of each kind of rune = N*100/P

where
N = no. of the stat to mage (say, 54 cha)

P = no. of the stat given by the rune (e.g. Pa cha rune gives 3 cha)
You should have all 3 resistances on atleast 6% - read why at bottom of post.

II] Mage in these steps :

1) MP rune
At every unsuccessful attempt, you will get a critical failure, causing 90 power worth of stats to drop.

The next steps are for when a particular stat has dropped. STRICTLY FOLLOW THIS ORDER.
(Heard of the LIATE order rule? This order is as necessary in maging as LIATE is for integration by parts ^^ )

2)Range

3)Lock
Dont go above 3 lock.

4)Damage(s)
Maging only a particular kind of damage to 8 is okay.
Mage the others to 2~3.

5)Pa Prospe
Mage to atleast 8.

6)Pa Wis
Mage to 33 wis.

7)Re Pers (resistances)
Mage each to 6

8)Pa Cha and Agi
First mage the one you want less of between the two.
I suggest 40 and 54.

9)Pa Vit 25~35
Mage back on ~220 vit

10)Pa Ini
Say 300 ini

Should you have to do this twice, i.e. 200 attempts, you would still be making ample profit. smile.gif

~Priest

Edited by Robeine
  • Like 1

~Maging Secret #6~

While experienced mages live by this rule, most newer ones are unaware of it.

Sink Obtained = Value of Stat Dropped - Value of Rune used to Drop that Stat

For example, when you use Pa Stre runes (value 3) to drop off an MP (value 90), you get a sink of value 87.

Also, AFTER having dropped the stat and DURING the mage, when critical failures (Failure, -sink) and neutral successes (Success, +stat, -sink) occur,

Sink Lost = Value of Rune Attempted to Mage

Using these two childish rules, you can discern when to stop your mage based on sink beforehand, rather than waiting for a stat-reducing critical failure to tell you so. smile.gif

For a List of Stat Values, refer ~Maging Secret #10~

~Priest

Edited by Robeine
  • Like 1

Sorry to interrupt all the threads posted together, but I have to say, your tips are very helpful.

I enjoy reading them, especially 'cause I suck at maging.

Enjoy making the rest of your tips and helping other players!

Cheers!

- Cynthia

Proud Member of Duel (Alliance: CYGNI)

Wrathie - Dat Iop - Level 199.63

Recoverie - Dat Eni - Level 198

Luckie - Dat Enu - Level 199.24

Pandie - Dat Pandawa - Level 182

100 Miner | 100 Farmer | 100 Baker | 100 Alchemist | 100 Handyman

Sorry to interrupt all the threads posted together, but I have to say, your tips are very helpful.

I enjoy reading them, especially 'cause I suck at maging.

Enjoy making the rest of your tips and helping other players!

Cheers!

- Cynthia

No problems :) Feel free, and glad to help!

~Priest

Edited by Robeine
  • Like 3

~Maging Secret #7~

P% ~= 51/V (for 1<V<51)
P% ~= 100/V (for V>=51)

Where
P% is the Percentage probability of getting an exo (without using sink)
and
V is the value of the stat you want to exo (See ~Maging Secret #10~ for a List of Stat Values).

It took me almost a whole year to come up with these once I'd done some data collecting.
Most mages will be surprised with the simplicity of the formulae.

Truth be told, these are DEFINITELY not the real formulae. Their true counterparts are doubtless much more complex. However, in all my experience, I have never seen too much of a deviation from these.

Hence, these formulae can broadly but very realistically be used for all your mages. smile.gif
~Priest

Note: For V<1, there are only three stats i.e. Vit, Ini and Pods.
I'm not as sure about theformula for these as the others, so I will post it once I can thoroughly confirm it. smile.gif

Edited by Robeine
  • Like 1

Edit :

For V<1,

P% ~= 5/V

Use this for Vit, Pods and Ini sinkless exo-maging. :)

For V=1,

P% ~= 20%

Also do note that all 4 of these formulae will only work until the max exo value of each stat i.e. 101 is not being breached.

(Incidentally that is also why you cannot have more than one AP or MP exomaged onto an item. In fact there haven't even been any items with their natural maximums breaching the maximum of 1 for AP or MP - unlike several wisdom items which go past 33 wisdom.)

~Priest

Edited by Robeine
  • Like 1

Since this has been interrupted before, i want to say thank you for the effort to put all of this together, regardless of what others think about the information (they might say it is wrong or w/e), the fact that you took the time to do something which others are keeping for themselves is really great.

Thank you, and keep up the good work.

Ok menz. You already said that before, but you replied again. You know why people troll others? Because it is so adorable watching someone so egotistical and stubborn rage. To find someone like you brings the same joy to us that a little kid in a dark alley brings a pedophile who just got out of jail. I'm salivating right now. I want you bad. I want to troll you so hard that you can barely walk in the morning and your throat is sore from screaming... at your monitor.

Since this has been interrupted before, i want to say thank you for the effort to put all of this together, regardless of what others think about the information (they might say it is wrong or w/e), the fact that you took the time to do something which others are keeping for themselves is really great.

Thank you, and keep up the good work.

Yes, I'm glad you got the point of my making this thread :)

This may sound like a cliche, but I believe that knowledge being deliberately confined to a few is a prisoner, and will soon rebel against its captors.

As always, you are most welcome, and please never hesitate to post anything (relevant) on here. :)

Glad I could help!

~Priest

~Maging Secret #8~

Major Turn-Ons

When you overmage an item, you are likely to go forward based on the sink of other stats.

While all mages always repair the big stats such as AP, MP or range that were lost in overmaging, most forget the little things that matter, such as

Prospecting

Resists

Damage

and others.

Putting these back on (at the END of your mage) upto 80% of their natural max will get you many more admiring patrons for your work, without much risk of dropping off other stats.

Dont take too much heed of the cost of these runes, as the observant patron will more than repay you for them!

Note that this is only w.r.t. overmaging inherent characteristics, not exo maging AP or MP as is usually posted about on this thread. :)

~Priest

(N.B. The principle still applies to exos, however as explained earlier one must replace these stats BETWEEN mages.)

Edited by Robeine
  • Like 3

~Maging Secret #9~

STAT VALUES

It took me awhile to realise that I have been utilizing the principle of Stat Values in my tips without first explaining it! tongue.gif My sincere apologies.

The Value of a stat can be called the 'space' it occupies or uses.

Consider an item to be a gold watch, with jewels(stats) on it. Some are big jewels, others are small. These jewels are fitted into crevices on the watch.

A magus can prise out these jewels and/or place new jewels.

When a magus prises out a jewel, he can fill other jewels into its crevice(sink maging), sometimes even new ones (sink-based exo maging).

A magus can also sometimes dig new crevices, in which he can place jewels that do not intrinsically belong to the watch (sinkless exo maging).

Some jewels (AP, MP, Range) are so large that it is very difficult to successfuly dig a new crevice for them.

However, it is much easier to dig another crevice for a jewel that used to be on the watch intrinsically, even if its earlier crevice has already been occupied by other jewels.

While trying to fit jewels into crevices, a magus critically fails a few attempts (Failure, -sink), that is he levels out the crevice by a little without fitting any jewels into it.

A List of the Values of the stats , I will post in the next ~Maging Secret~. smile.gif

Mage on!
~Priest

Edited by Robeine

thanks for the tips so far, i think moderators should sticky this thread up. good job mate !

• Like 1

thanks for the tips so far, i think moderators should sticky this thread up. good job mate !

Thanks so much, but I doubt this thread is as good as all that ^^

Seeing the number of views though, you guys could appeal to the mods :) that would be pretty cool!

But there are quite a few *angry* messages I recieved that try to appeal to my self-interest, to the interests of the magus community, etc.

To all those *angry* people, you're wrong, and I have the right to post what I want when I want, tyvm.

Cheers! :)

~Priest

• Like 3

Thanks so much, but I doubt this thread is as good as all that ^^

Seeing the number of views though, you guys could appeal to the mods :) that would be pretty cool!

But there are quite a few *angry* messages I recieved that try to appeal to my self-interest, to the interests of the magus community, etc.

To all those *angry* people, you're wrong, and I have the right to post what I want when I want, tyvm.

Cheers! :)

~Priest

Seeing that alot of the famous active Magus'es did not reply to this thread or correct any information, pretty much validates that the information is right along with the angry messages you receive.

You are doing a great job, i have shoemagus and jewelmagus my self but never bothered to mage anything, you are kinda making me wanna try it, lets see where that will get me :)

Bravo pal

Edit:- Also +1 to pin this, i heard also Yuna is working on something similar, maybe combine both?

Edited by Guybrush-Threpwood

Ok menz. You already said that before, but you replied again. You know why people troll others? Because it is so adorable watching someone so egotistical and stubborn rage. To find someone like you brings the same joy to us that a little kid in a dark alley brings a pedophile who just got out of jail. I'm salivating right now. I want you bad. I want to troll you so hard that you can barely walk in the morning and your throat is sore from screaming... at your monitor.

Seeing that alot of the famous active Magus'es did not reply to this thread or correct any information, pretty much validates that the information is right along with the angry messages you receive.

You are doing a great job, i have shoemagus and jewelmagus my self but never bothered to mage anything, you are kinda making me wanna try it, lets see where that will get me :)

Bravo pal

Edit:- Also +1 to pin this, i heard also Yuna is working on something similar, maybe combine both?

That sounds like a great idea! :) i'll try and get in touch with Yuna.

~Priest

Many thanks to Ariia

http://impsvillage.com/forums/user/34797-ariia/

for her helpful responses to my questions regarding what I should post about :)

But it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to post the next ~Maging Secret~ 'til this Sunday, when I can take all the info I've typed on my laptop :(

My apologies

~Priest

Edited by Robeine

While I appreciate what you're trying to do here, you seem to have a somewhat... deluded view of yourself?

This may sound like a cliche, but I believe that knowledge being deliberately confined to a few is a prisoner, and will soon rebel against its captors.

No one is doing this. (Also, what an overdramatic way of putting it.) There's already a thread in this forum called Ask a Mage where many experienced mages have covered everything in here. There are no "secrets" to maging, and nothing you've said so far couldn't have been easily been answered by a quick search in that thread, or a trip to the Dofus Wiki article on maging. In fact, there is a link there to a JoL webpage that lists all the (elusive, according to you) rune powers in a nice table -- a website that's also been linked to many, many times in the Ask a Mage thread -- so no one is deliberately trying to hide information from anyone.

Maguses have no reason to hide any of this information, because their customers (the people who can afford 50mk MP and AP exotic mages) are in all likelihood already familiar with how to mage.

Now, for some feedback on your actual content:

1) MP rune

At roughly every 3rd or 4th attempt, you will get a critical failure, causing 91 power worth of stats to drop. Proceed to the next step when this happens.

MP does not have 91 power; it has 90. And you will not lose 90 power after every 3rd or 4th attempt; you will lose 90 power after every attempt (unless the rune succeeds). I question whether you've actually attempted to exotically mage a non-Gelano item before...

Vitality has a power of 0.25, not 0.33.

Your whole gold watch metaphor is needlessly complicated. I'm pretty sure your audience can understand numbers without you simplifying rune power into "jewels on a watch;" not to mention the fact that "jewels on a watch" is an even more abstract and confusing concept than numbers.

Putting these back on (at the END of your [over]mage) upto 80% of their natural max will get you many more admiring patrons for your work, without much risk of dropping off other stats.

You should not tinker with your item after you manage to overmage a stat, because fails and neutral successes will tend to drag down the overmaged stat first before any other stat. You should only even attempt an overmage once you're satisfied with the rest of the stats on the item.

Anyway, carry on with this thread, because it is useful for all the information to be consolidated on one page, but please, drop the self-righteousness because it's disrespectful to every other experienced Imps member who has been helping. There is no Magus Illuminati trying to oppress you.

• Like 4

DofusPlanner.com

An international Dofus set creator

(follow me)

uqP4vq5.png

Jon, I will try to hide what I actually think your comments are worth, and answer them serially.

1)My moral principles are as ever my own, and I can post them how and when I like without appearing disrespectful to ANYone.

2)MP has a power 91, not 90. Try to count the number of stats of a known value you can mage on while subtracting the corresponding sink where relevant. 91 value worth stats will drop off only on a CRITICAL failure, not every single one, as anyone who has ever performed an exo will tell you.

3) The vitality value was human error, which I have changed BEFORE this comment of yours, as can be ascertained by seeing the time of edit.

4)This thread is for all mages, including the new ones. Please DO let's take a poll on how many of them find the gold watch analogy more helpful than 'numbers'.

5) When maging inherent stats to well within their inherent maximum, it is unlikely for any other stats including overmaged ones to fall off.

Please try it before making uninformed comments about it.

And I will be exactly as "self-righteous" as I want, when I want.

Only if those views of mine have veracity will anyone take heed of them.

Disrespectful? HA. If the cap fits, my dear fellow, wear it.

~Priest

• Like 2

Last time I tried to exomage, every single ap attempt dropped 100 worth of power off the item, whether it be sink or stats. I don't see how mp would be any different? So I don't really understand that critical failure thing either.

Another thing I don't understand is: In your mp maging example you leave stats on the bearbaric wedding ring quite low. Why would you guide people to do only decent exo mages? I don't see a market for those, the people who buy exos are most likely expecting close to perfect stats.

Second in Command of Outer Heaven. Join us!

Cra 200/ Osa 200

Feca 1XX/ Xelor 200

Iop 199/ Panda 199/ Cra 200

Eni 200

Panda 1XX/ Enu 200

xiowfinished.png

©Thalion

Last time I tried to exomage, every single ap attempt dropped 100 worth of power off the item, whether it be sink or stats. I don't see how mp would be any different? So I don't really understand that critical failure thing either.

Another thing I don't understand is: In your mp maging example you leave stats on the bearbaric wedding ring quite low. Why would you guide people to do only decent exo mages? I don't see a market for those, the people who buy exos are most likely expecting close to perfect stats.

Mazaa, some people could learn a lot from you on general conduct and politeness while voicing an opinion.

Well your first question proves me completely wrong in that spot- I'd forgotten that AP, MP and Range exo attempts can have only critical failures, not neutral ones. I'll correct that part, thank you :)

And secondly, the tip was for those mages who have little or no experience in exo maging, for whom making average~decent exos is the safer path atm. Once they find they no longer need a guide, they can move on to better exos. :)

~Priest

By the by, are you Indian?

Edited by Robeine

Rune power

This one was put together by Exited, one of the first to exomage and figure out how it all worked.

You are coming off as kind of a smug douche, but whatever floats your boat.

• Like 1

200 Iop -- Pku
200 Enu -- Showboat
200 Eni -- Scam
199 Sram -- Hubris

The thread is fine, very helpful information.

Any newcomer to maging MUST read this, because this contains all the information written NICELY and not only "numbers+more numbers+even more numbers".

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

Ariia

P.S.

This one was put together by Exited, one of the first to exomage and figure out how it all worked.

Being the first one to do something doesn't mean he's the best. You don't have to be THE FIRST to figure out what is what and how something works. I think, that the new sources are more trustworthy..

Edited by Ariia

A cat has 9 lives, right? 7 left!

Set: 4/8 Items done, 0/9 Trophies done, 0/2 Dofus done, 0/4 Exos done.

The point I was making is that the list I linked has been around and remained unchanged for 5+ years, which means it's accepted as fact by the French community. I used that website to learn how to mage and it's my recommendation that others go by the rune powers and maging tips there as well. The guy even wrote his own windows application that would allow you to practice maging risk free. I think he had it nailed down to a pretty exact science.

The tips in this thread are fine. Some of the ideas are weird to me, but most of it looks accurate.

Maging Secret 7 needs some work though. The formula suggests a 100% chance to exomage range the way it is written.

And it suggests all exo stats less powerful that range have a P greater than 1 to land.

• Like 1

200 Iop -- Pku
200 Enu -- Showboat
200 Eni -- Scam
199 Sram -- Hubris