• Sky
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Emerald
  • Ankama Brown
  • Charcoal

Ensure you are aware of and follow your nation's guidance regarding coronavirus (COVID-19). Act responsibly and avoid unnecessary social interaction. Your actions may endanger the lives of those at risk. 

Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Dark Souls 2

0rugr.png

I did it with the first game! No idea how long the trailers will be up, but I'll try to add it in as soon as I find working links.

Just like the first trailer for Dark Souls, this one was also prerendered. For now I'm just going to link screenshots of the trailer.

uPLzC.jpg

a5sOJ.jpg

GQo7D.jpg

UKhUn.jpg

EjOSx.jpg

vrIck.jpg

From the looks of things, the game takes place at the end of the Age of Dragons.

Edit: Right as I post this, Kotaku uploaded the trailer.

Edit 2: Famitsu confirms the game will be made for PS3, 360, and PC. Namco Bandai will be doing overseas releases once again.

Edit 3: Website is up.

Edited by Jake
Website is up!

zA-Zombie.png

Thought process

ZOMGWTFBBQ DARK SOULS II?! IS THIS APRILS FOOLS????

TRAILER AT KOTAku...... looks like a different game

"Built upon the foundation established by Souls series creator and Dark Souls II Supervisor, Hidetaka Miyazaki with development helmed by FromSoftware Director Tomohiro Shibuya" Oh Miyazaki isn't directing it no wonder...

Character design is kinda meh...

Not so happy :< It reminds me why I love the Demon's and Dark Souls - Miyazaki makes the magic happen. I'll probably buy it just because I want to know what's they've cooked up, but heavily disappointed that he's not directing it. Hopefully he's directing another Souls sequel and he's taken the backseat this time to concentrate on that one.... wishful thinking.... but if he is, I'd love to see Demon's II or a completely new Soul.... changing the setting to the far east or something, Samurai Souls (武士魂)

Forever Lv.199 Feca

Lv.19x Panda

Main author of the Feca guide in the japanese wiki~

Also the author of The Intelligence Feca guide in English

And now making tutorial videos!

Thought process

ZOMGWTFBBQ DARK SOULS II?! IS THIS APRILS FOOLS????

TRAILER AT KOTAku...... looks like a different game

"Built upon the foundation established by Souls series creator and Dark Souls II Supervisor, Hidetaka Miyazaki with development helmed by FromSoftware Director Tomohiro Shibuya" Oh Miyazaki isn't directing it no wonder...

Character design is kinda meh...

Not so happy :< It reminds me why I love the Demon's and Dark Souls - Miyazaki makes the magic happen. I'll probably buy it just because I want to know what's they've cooked up, but heavily disappointed that he's not directing it. Hopefully he's directing another Souls sequel and he's taken the backseat this time to concentrate on that one.... wishful thinking.... but if he is, I'd love to see Demon's II or a completely new Soul.... changing the setting to the far east or something, Samurai Souls (武士魂)

All I know is the following;

>“Dark Souls 2 will offer loyal fans exactly the kind of demanding challenges and never-ending struggle that became the hallmark of this whole series,” according to publisher Namco Bandai.

“Dark Souls II retains the core essence of Dark Souls while evolving to present new twists and challenges that are sure to please longtime fans and attract new comers to the series,” said Carlson Choi, Vice President of Marketing for Namco Bandai. ”FromSoftware is going to take a very dark path with Dark Souls II; players will need to look deep within themselves to see if they have the intestinal fortitude to embark on this journey.”

zA-Zombie.png

All I know is the following;

Source:

http://gamerant.com/dark-souls-2-trailer-announcement/

They say it's going to remain the brand signature but it's painfully obvious from watching the trailer alone that the art direction has changed and has lost all of the elegance it had. I've had an obsession with Dark Souls and have read nearly every developer interview from radio talks to the artbook exclusive and the more I read the more it becomes apparent that Miyazaki plays the most central role in the development - Dark Souls was a collage of works by completely different artists and developing teams that were outsourced and the only thing that tied it together was the Miyazaki filter. Everything must be approved by him and he went by a stringent and strict criteria - everything must be elegant in the way he perceives it. For example, dragon zombies were easily made into emphasising the rotten and gory expression but Miyazaki disapproved and were instead set with a "sabi" expression.. the withering dragons discontented but woefully passing out as it knows it's time is finished. Now it might not be exactly like what he wanted to achieve but this is one example and I believe this is the mindset that makes Dark Souls a special something. Dark Souls has been cited for its unique world setting and atmosphere and it's something that would be very difficult, if not impossible to achieve without the same director.

But, I'm all for it to be disapproved.

PS: In the time I was writing this From Software also released the product information. They took away with P2P and now have incorporated servers for smooth summoning. http://www.fromsoftware.jp/corpinfo/release/pdf/ds2_jp_web_20121208.pdf

Edited by Pentecost

Forever Lv.199 Feca

Lv.19x Panda

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504253

Edge Magazine has a blow out on Dark Souls 2 this month, and the details are out. Brace yourselves for the horror and anticipation of a brand new journey.

- Edge says they were shown a 10 minute playthrough of Dark Souls 2, and it is a huge step forward graphically. It looks on par with Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313 in terms of "next-gen"-ness, or so they claim.

- Miyazaki is not working on the development of Dark Souls 2. He is not a director or producer, and is merely a "supervisor".

- Even as a supervisor, he isn't making any development decisions. He only tried to reinforce the team's commitment to releasing things on time, because of the bad experience they had with the patches in Dark Souls, and he also recommended the return to server-based gameplay ala Demon's Souls.

- The new directors, Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura, are indeed the From Software staff who previously directed the Another Century's Episode series. The decision to have the two directors replace Miyazaki was a company decision made by both From Software and Namco Bandai Games to help move the series forward in a fresh direction.

- Miyazaki is working full time on directing a new game. He will not disclose if it is a new IP or a sequel to something else.

- Darks Souls 2 will be a direct sequel, and have an open world of about the same size, but more dense with content.

- It does not take place on Lordran. The name of the world is the key of the story, they will reveal it at a later date.

- One thing Shibuya wants to enhance is the action in the game. He feels that he can contribute because of his experience working on action games in the past.

- Shibuya says he wants to make things like the Covenant system clearer and more accessible, and he wants to make the story and messaging less subtle.

- He promises there will still be "hidden" elements in the story and world which can be missed.

- Development started in September last year, and was done in parallel with some of the Dark Souls patches and DLC content.

- The game is 25% complete, and the team is substantially larger than Dark Souls. The world creation internal staff for the sequel is nearly double that of the first game.

- The game might not make it for 2013.

- They showed a fat grotesque creature, which Shibuya said was the result of the fusing of different creatures by a mad scientist character in the game, like Frankenstein.

- Another new enemy is a Nazgul-like black rider, who apparently serves as an executioner of evil doers. Shibuya confirms there is some sort of morality system in the game.

0IsdL.jpg

Edit: LOVE IS OVER

>beginning of the game--beyond the tutorial--will "limit the player's choices" to teach them (basically, you'll be on rails for a good while)

>in-game journal to keep track of objectives, hints, and information

>more action-packed with big set piece encounters instead of steady dungeon crawls

>story will be "straightforward" and "less subtle"

>vehicle sections

>same controls as Dark Souls but that seems to be all that's staying the same

All hype is lost. And all I read was, "vehicle sections."

Edited by Jake
LOVE IS OVER

zA-Zombie.png

All I read was "Kneejerk reactions."

Laguna - 200 Iop | Aboshan - 200 Cra
Tibalt - 200 Sram | Kefka - 200 Masqueraider | Nirvana - 19x Ecaflip

On 11/11/2013 at 5:12 PM, Fyorl said:

I am a terrible moderator.

All hype is lost. And all I read was, "vehicle sections."

Much expected. I'm still waiting to read the Edge interview in its unadulterated form getting the digital copy on the 20th though. I'll make the decision then.

Forever Lv.199 Feca

Lv.19x Panda

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/18/report-dark-souls-ii-will-have-paid-dlc-item-storage/

I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, it is just storage for your stuff. On the other, it could also lead into them selling other things that could ruin balance.

Edit: No idea how true it is, but as pure speculation, I'm not sure if I like it or hate it. 2ch did leak Lightning's design though.

Edited by Jake

zA-Zombie.png

Double postin' to share some good news.

>Miyazaki: It’s a little different. In terms of a producer’s job, it’s more like I did only the first part. Frankly, what I did was make decisions about things that would be easier if I just decided them on my own. Things like making sure our budget is enough, and what our development schedule will be like, including testing. When it comes to things that are a bit closer to players, I decided that we should have our own game servers this time, and that we shouldn't sell individual items or weapons as DLC—stuff like that.

>Shibuya: Dark Souls is a title that already has a very large fan base, so first and foremost, I think it’s important to make sure we don’t let those players down. As such, we don’t plan on changing the framework for Dark Souls II. On the contrary, we are focusing on really highlighting the best parts of the previous game and going in that direction. The concept is to give the game a major upgrade while leaving the good parts of Dark Souls as-is.

Shibuya also said that he doesn't think the game should be bigger or easier. He wants there to be a bigger learning period at the beginning and he wants more moments where the character has to think about traps and feel they are in danger.

Someone on NeoGAF translated the 4Gamer interview.

zA-Zombie.png

A little bit more on the news side.

Several new multiplayer, story, tutorial and world details have been revealed on Jan. 31 in regards to the upcoming multiplatform title, “Dark Souls 2.” According to a user from the Gamespot forum, the latest video game from the “Dark Souls” series was featured in the latest OXM issue. You can check out some screens from the sequel in the slideshow at the top of this article and the details below.

The game directors want the story of “Dark Souls 2,” which takes place in a “large cove near the ocean,” to be clearer but they still would like to avoid using cut scenes to tell it. Players can also have a direct effect on the plot by choosing whether or not to kill non-playable characters. In terms of multiplayer, the sequel will feature the same sever-based online as “Demon’s Souls.” Finally, a full-fledged tutorial that explains the game’s unique mechanics may also be included.

Source

Expanded tutorial, taking place in a "large cover near the ocean", killing NPCs having a direct effect on the plot, no cutscenes, and Demon's Souls multiplayer.

zA-Zombie.png

I did like Dark Soul's I think I preferred Demon's Souls stage style of levels but I would like something more of an open world style as I like that sort of business.

~Quit this shit.

Forever Lv.199 Feca

Lv.19x Panda

-Actual Combos

-Dual-wielding combos

-Faster movement without ruining combat

-Torches

-Nice lighting effects

-Improved AI

-Deflecting ranged weapons

-What appears to be headshots

Hyped as fuck.

zA-Zombie.png

E3! Dark Souls 2! More gameplay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qOtkqsqk6HQ

The developers must be tired of hearing the question if the difficulty would be easier...

Edit: MOAR interviews ZOMG so excited

Edited by Pentecost

Forever Lv.199 Feca

Lv.19x Panda

Not happy that you can get invaded while not human anymore.

Hackers are already pretty rampant on the PC and xbox version, so now they have pretty much free acess to ruining everyones day except if you turn your internet off.

signature.png

EU PSN+ users can download the open beta now. I have three hours of footage to go through from the previous US test and I plan to get another 2-3 from the next one on the 27th.

I screencapped all of the item descriptions that I had found: http://www.mediafire.com/download/8n28wvudencq25r/Item_Descriptions.rar

File size is huge thanks to saving them all as PNGs.

I haven't gotten around to cutting up the footage but have a gif of one of the new gestures.

kXStixc.gif

zA-Zombie.png

Dark Souls 2 has a PC release date for April 25th and is set for $50.

GMG is selling steam key pre-orders with $10 cashback. Cheapest offer at the moment.

Edited by Villike