• Banana
  • Emerald
  • Imps Green
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Sign in to follow this  
SyrupnBeavers

Whatpulse!

So I was chatting with Kiba on the IRC earlier and it was brought to my attention that there are only about 7 Active people on the Whatpulse team and that seems a bit unacceptable.

We both also realized that the link in our signatures advertising Whatpulse was broken since the topic doesn't exist outside of the archives anymore. I've cut and pasted all the information from the old Whatpulse thread in the archives so that it can be more easily seen again.

-----

What is WhatPulse? WhatPulse is a key counting program which monitors the amount of keystrokes and mouse clicks that a user makes over a period of time. Its authors say that is not spyware, as it does not record the keys that are pressed (software that does this is called a keylogger), but instead measures the number of times that keys are pressed. In this way, one can see the number of keystrokes and mouse clicks over a period of time.

Why would I want WhatPulse? The software also optionally enables a user to see the frequency at which he or she types different letters on a keyboard. It enables that user to see how fast he or she is typing over a long period of time by taking an average over that period.

Periodically, one can upload the number of keystrokes that one makes to the server; this is called "pulsing". Users can see where they are in the leader board of people who have joined the program and compare themselves against people from their own countries. Users can also join teams, which enable them to compare themselves against people with similar interests.

Does WhatPulse contain any spyware? Simple answer, no. See their Privacy Policy for further information.

That sounds really cool! How do I get it? First you'll want to Sign up. Then download the WhatPulse client and log in. Then just go about the daily routine. When you are Signing up, there will be a category called "Initial Computer Username." This is for your computer, if you use more than one computer than you can have more than one set up to track usage on each computer. An example would be a profile for your home computer called "Home" and another one for your work computer called "Work".

Then if you want you can join the Impsvillage.com Team. You do not have to be in a certain guild or even play Dofus. You aren't expected to do anything and all joining the team does is let you compare yourself to other people who use the Imps Village forum. So ideally, you'd be a member of the Imps Village forum so that you'd have that in common with the rest of us.

To Join the Impsvillage.com team:

1. Go to the team tab in your profile.
  2. Click "join a team"
  3. Search for "impsvillage.com" (without the quotes of course)
  4. There should only be one result, click that
  5. The password is "dofus" (once again, without the quotes)

How should I configure WhatPulse? That is up to you, I reccomend setting up automatic pulses though, pulsing regularly will help you avoid losing any large amounts of keystrokes and clicks if you become de-synced from the server for whatever reason.

How do I get one of those nifty signature images? There used to be a long and convoluted process for choosing an image and then uploading it. It's a lot easier now, you just upload your image, preview it, save it and voila. You can edit them here.

TL;DR Get Whatpulse, Join the Impsvillage team, Enjoy a friendly, always-on competition with the rest of us.

------

Whatpulse has gone through a lot of changes over the years and most of them have been usability and accessibility related. Originally there was no Mac or Linux client but there is an official one available now. In the past I held a Whatpulse contest for most improved user in a month. It was a lot of work but it was also a lot of fun and I think it was a great success. I don't play Dofus anymore so I have no means of providing a reward but if anyone ever feels like giving something away and bringing along a little excitement I have no problems hosting another contest.

The below is just left in to show that Kyek, if you even remember him, fully endorses Whatpulse.

Mac users rejoice!!

Hey all! This is Kyek-- I'm hijacking Skipp's post to tell you all about this at the beginning here. There *IS* a mac client!!! Unfortunately this news doesn't come in time to get into the first WhatPulse contest, but it DOES let you enjoy WhatPulse and lets you get involved in future WhatPulse events!

How do I do it?

Register for a WhatPulse account on www.whatpulse.org, download the mac client here, run it, follow the instructions, and you're set!

This isn't on the WhatPulse site.. is this a virus or something?

Not at all! WhatPulse is developing a Mac client, but they're only releasing it on their website when it hits version 1.0 -- the full out-of-beta WhatPulse. My link to the Mac version is to an RC3 version. What's that? Well, it stands for Release Candidate 3. Basically, the mac client was in Beta and they tested it, and when they thought it was ready to go, they made RC1 and gave it to a bunch of people. People reported bugs, so they fixed them and released RC2. Still a few bugs, so they fixed up the last of them and put out RC3 -- the version they THINK is going to be the official version. So it's not on their website, but you can get it from other distributors like the one here! Snap it up and get clicking!

Got a new computer recently and forgot to slap whatpulse on it but I'll be getting it now and get back to pulsing.

Hmm, looks like Im in 7th place for the team. Got a lot of work to do to move up though.

Just for those who are interested team Impsvillage.com is currently ranked 123rd and we are 1.1m keystrokes behind the 122nd team. That really isn't as much as it sounds like. We can easily pass them up if we get some people signing up and pulsing. Besides, haven't you ever wondered how many miles your mouse has traveled?

Lets go people! Get to pulsing!!!

Edited by Fec

A lot of the people reading this thread definitely weren't around when Whatpulse was last popular around here... You should all sign up, it's a really neat program.

Signed up. :)

Be interesting to see how many clicks I make when playing SCII (or maybe not :P).

i signed up, joined imps, but it doesnt seem to be recording my keys or clicks, as the figures arnt updating.

Does it constantly update, or is it daily?

edit, dw im an idiot. i looked and realised i need to 'pulse' for it to be recorded. derp :(

Edited by snorrikins

Registered and joined Imps' team.

if everyone that hasnt pulsed lately pulses, we can overtaked reddit and WoW DOOOO EEEET

Just joined too, 4million ish keystrokes and 4million ish mouse clicks.

if everyone that hasnt pulsed lately pulses, we can overtaked reddit and WoW DOOOO EEEET

Well that happened. Now we're trailing Xfire by less than 15 million keystrokes. The next major team after that is Minecraft and they're 75 million or so ahead of us.

Edited by Skippeh

woo, i know i dont do much, but its gotta all add up :D

also disgusted at how much some people use their comps o.O

woo, i know i dont do much, but its gotta all add up :D

also disgusted at how much some people use their comps o.O

I've been a member for 8 years so I'm not actually doing super amazing.

I'm surprised we've gotten ahead of Reddit by a nice margin, considering we have significantly fewer active members than they do. Go team!

I've been a member for 8 years so I'm not actually doing super amazing.

almost 7 years for me :D

also how many miles do you all have? i got 821 miles in 81 months. so that's 10miles per month..... bit creepy knowing my hands move that much lol.

Edited by RollTheDice

almost 7 years for me :D

also how many miles do you all have? i got 821 miles in 81 months. so that's 10miles per month..... bit creepy knowing my hands move that much lol.

I have 747 miles, but the number is somewhat off since the mac client didn't originally include miles as a statistic for almost two years after the feature was introduced. The figure is also thrown off by mouse acceleration. Open your geek window and move your cursor across your screen. You'd be surprised. I gain almost a meter moving my cursor across the screen but my hand only moves about an inch.

I have 747 miles, but the number is somewhat off since the mac client didn't originally include miles as a statistic for almost two years after the feature was introduced. The figure is also thrown off by mouse acceleration. Open your geek window and move your cursor across your screen. You'd be surprised. I gain almost a meter moving my cursor across the screen but my hand only moves about an inch.

yeah i figured it'd be something like that. 10miles per month seems pretty impossible.

TlPzs.png

Help :/?

Tend.

TlPzs.png

Help :/?

Tend.

I haven't seen that error before. If there's nothing in the documentation on the website then I suggest reinstalling.

Ok thanks ill do that ^^

Tend.

Ive had to recreate an account, i had to make a new image, how do i bring it to imps e_e im a noob a forgot how...

thanks,

Tend.

Your signature image is

http://whatpulse.org/dynamic-images/######.jpg

###### would represent your account number. You can see it in the address bar when viewing your profile

Thanks a bunch ;D

Tend.

Edited by Tenderly

Just an update for everyone.

Impsvillage.com

Members of the Impsvillage.com forums

This team has 83 member(s), which have typed 404,092,216 keys and clicked 172,739,911 times all together.

The team holds 0.10% percent of all the teams/users of this project, and is ranked 117th

That is a huge improvement from being in 123rd back in march when this thread was started. We are currently only a little over 6m keystrokes behind the 116th ranked team of Waarmaarraar.nl

Keep up the great work everyone, and if you still haven't joined the team then get moving! I have the personal goal of seeing team IV overtake my former team, which is currently ranked in the mid 60s. A large task but when I first started pulsing and joined that team they were in the 140s so I know it can be done. Get active people!

Also I was browsing through the dynamic images and I noticed there were quite a few similar to the one I am using now that are customized for different games with logos etc. If you look at the list of shared background images on the site they are about 1/3 of the down the page. If anyone out there has the ambition and ability it would be really cool to see versions for Dofus Wakfu and IV which we could use. I haven't used photoshop in years and am pretty rusty or I'd give it a go myself.

Edited by Fec

For those of you that play a lot of games, if the game requests administrator access to run then Whatpulse will require administrator access to track any clicks or keystrokes inside that game.

For those of you that play a lot of games, if the game requests administrator access to run then Whatpulse will require administrator access to track any clicks or keystrokes inside that game.

i've never ever have that happen o.o

i've never ever have that happen o.o

It's happened to me playing League of Legends and Wakfu. If you have User Account Control prompts turned off in windows it probably won't affect you :P