• Orange
  • Banana
  • Emerald
  • Ankama Brown
  • Charcoal
Sign in to follow this  
Kiba

Paying college athletes

you go to college to get a good job. going to college shouldn't be the job.

Maybe it shouldn't be THE job. But it definitely should be A job. If college wasn't hard work, then everyone would have a degree (even though rates are already sickeningly high) and it wouldn't seem like an accomplishment.

I understand a difference in opinion. My opinion is that college should be a full time job for 4 years. If it wasn't a job, that means you are paying to bullshit and get a piece of paper, to bullshit for 30 more years because you wont have learned anything legitimate because it wasn't work.

That is just how I view it at least.

RUSHU

Moldybagel Level 162 Agi/Cha Eca

Professions:

Shoemaker-- Level 200

Shoemagus-- Level 200 

Farmer-- Level 200

Lumberjack--Level 132

Go to college for something with sciences, then you'll know why college IS a job on its own.

Maybe it shouldn't be THE job. But it definitely should be A job. If college wasn't hard work, then everyone would have a degree (even though rates are already sickeningly high) and it wouldn't seem like an accomplishment.

I understand a difference in opinion. My opinion is that college should be a full time job for 4 years. If it wasn't a job, that means you are paying to bullshit and get a piece of paper, to bullshit for 30 more years because you wont have learned anything legitimate because it wasn't work.

That is just how I view it at least.

you missunderstand. by a job i mean you shouldnt be paid for it. the goal should be to get a job. not go to college and get rich in college. ofcourse going to college is a lot of work, but its not a job you're not paid for it.

there's a difference between work and a job.

Edited by RollTheDice

200 Water Enutrof - Salucia

200 Water Xelor - Straat

199 Earth/Fire Iop - SlashFTW

195 Water/Fire Cra - Stratosphere

194 Fire/Water Eni - Strategem

184 Agility Panda - Stratica

199 Earth Sadida- Setaria

So are you trying to say that only 4 students on a football team of about 100 get a full ride? Well that number is more like 30 - 40 students, you have to remember most starters get a full ride, the back up QB, WR, RB, TE, most of the back defensive field, and all of the special teams all get full rides. So yea it may still be a small sum but they also have to pay the coaches, support staff, people working the games, and the refs, they all have to get paid. Then there is city permits, parking stature, noise permits, security salaries, and thats only to name a few.

Also if they don't go to college for a degree why go? Playing college sports isn't "required" by any means, its just the easiest way to get recognized . THEY are the ones that need to understand that you go to college to learn, not to throw a ball around.

None of this changes the fact that they are more or less exploited for personal gains by universities. Considering the money they make, the share that they get is sickeningly low.

ArkarainKimono.jpg

None of this changes the fact that they are more or less exploited for personal gains by universities. Considering the money they make, the share that they get is sickeningly low.

Considering the money they make, Coca-Cola's factory employee's share is sickeningly low.

And wait, so this doesnt happen in loads of jobs all around the world? awww shit, I never realised the big guy doesn't exploit the little guy, all this time I thought it was equal! My bad!

sig.jpg

ladyboy.jpg

But considering what every other college student goes through why shouldn't we get paid for all of the projects that we do. For example if I make a program that is used universally throughout the school why shouldn't I get paid for it? (FYI I wouldn't because I sign a contract when I pay tuition that all intellectual, physical or artistic property are hence property of the university in exchange for an education. The contract is class registration.)

Swiftz0r.jpg

SOLAR:
Kazehana lvl 3x Tower Defense Int Cra | That-Panda lvl 3x Recovering Agi Panda

RUSHU < RETIRED...FOR NOW>:
Swiftzor lvl 14x Int Osa | TheForsakenOne lvl 7x Bann-Proof Healbot Eni | Aqua-Claw 11x partially scrolled Chance Osa
Swifts-Shadow 10x killbot Sramlet | Melfina- lvl 4x Support Healing Feca That-Panda lvl 6x leech panda nub Wannabe Agility Whore

Considering the money they make, Coca-Cola's factory employee's share is sickeningly low.

And wait, so this doesnt happen in loads of jobs all around the world? awww shit, I never realised the big guy doesn't exploit the little guy, all this time I thought it was equal! My bad!

Some people are assholes therefore everyone should be assholes. Lovely.

• Like 1

Because he's the hero that Brakmar deserves, but not the one it needs right now ... So we'll hunt him... Because he can take it... Because he's not a hero... He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... The Dark Xelor.

PROUD member of THE ELKAMYSTS

Factory workers are not rare commodities, I don't see your point here. ANY JOE CAN WORK A MACHINE WITH A LEVER. Can every Joe accomplish some of the physical feats top college football players do? No.

Grasping at straws, the game.

Edited by Arkarain

ArkarainKimono.jpg

Factory workers are not rare commodities, I don't see your point here. ANY JOE CAN WORK A MACHINE WITH A LEVER. Can every Joe accomplish some of the physical feats top college football players do? No.

I think if anyone's grasping at straws it's you. College football players are rewarded for their efforts in ways that have already been explained in this thread. The idea that they should be rewarded something else on top of that is ridiculous. The pedestal upon which you place these players for their "feats" is one of your own making. It's superficial and has no significant value to society. Entertainment value does not count, because if you haven't noticed, people still watch teams when they consistently perform very poorly.

Edited by Exalt
  • Like 2

signature.png

If the money is being used at the University then they should not get paid. But if the school is like mine and is pauing the fucking coach nearly 1mil per season then yes share the profits with he students.

picture2vj.png

Regei - Level 196 Chance Feca

Some people are assholes therefore everyone should be assholes. Lovely.

Thats not what I'm saying at all, I was saying that its inevitable that people will be exploited and it happens everywhere.

My point is your having a cry over college football players not earning enough and being exploited, people everywhere are exploited, so why not defend them? Yeah these guys are 'finely tuned athletic machines' but if need be they could find huge amounts of people willing to play college football, some of them would be good enough and sure some of the freakish players will be missed but people will still attend games.

Besides these college athletes already reap the rewards as has been pointed out in this thread. If they choose a shit course with a shit qualification at the end its not the uni's fault, they should have taken the opportunity more wisely.

Moreover playing college football (and being a freak at it) generally isnt about trying to earn while you're at college, its about potentially joining the NFL and earning the huge bucks (first round draft picks in their first year get more than the best AFL players here).

These guys are just greedy wankers, sure the board or whoever is probably making bucketloads of money from it, but for the players it should be about playing the game they love and hopefully turning pro.

sig.jpg

ladyboy.jpg

you missunderstand. by a job i mean you shouldnt be paid for it. the goal should be to get a job. not go to college and get rich in college. ofcourse going to college is a lot of work, but its not a job you're not paid for it.

there's a difference between work and a job.

Makes total sense now. I just assumed you meant work..my bad.

RUSHU

Moldybagel Level 162 Agi/Cha Eca

Professions:

Shoemaker-- Level 200

Shoemagus-- Level 200 

Farmer-- Level 200

Lumberjack--Level 132