• Orange
  • Banana
  • Emerald
  • Ankama Brown
  • Charcoal
Sign in to follow this  
Kiba

Paying college athletes

I'm interested in hearing other peoples' opinions about this.

Basically, college athletes want to get paid for what they do. I should specify: NCAA football players want to get paid for what they do.

They think that the benefits they're already getting simply aren't enough, and they want more. Because full payment of college tuition isn't enough for them... They want actual salaries...

I really don't believe that these athletes deserve anything more than what they're getting now. I want to hear what you guys think about it.

• Like 1

Then they should stop signing the contracts stipulating they get no revenue from anything. Also where is the money gonna come from? My university is funded by the state, operates at a loss, and is raising tuition every year. No college student is going to go for that.

200 Iop -- Pku
200 Enu -- Showboat
200 Eni -- Scam
199 Sram -- Hubris

Then they should stop signing the contracts stipulating they get no revenue from anything. Also where is the money gonna come from? My university is funded by the state, operates at a loss, and is raising tuition every year. No college student is going to go for that.

My honest opinion (may be be biased, non-factual, ignorant): I seriously cannot fathom ANYONE being paid anything over $100 a week to play football. It is not work..in any fashion. Maybe could be considered entertainment for those who can put on a good show. I cannot and will not ever admit to it being called work (same with any sport). It is 99% marketing and 1%fun activity. It frustrates me to see people respect players for such a meaningless talent.

To put my point into perspective....people always bitch about cashiers, cab drivers, and retail employees being low-lives/shitty jobs....in reality those people are doing a hell of a lot more in life than athletes (minus generating advertising revenue for the said retail chains/colleges/etc).

Anyways not looking to argue and I won't respond to any arguments in this thread. I just truly feel that they should feel blessed to receive free tuition for literally playing a game that some men their age play on their saturday's off from class and work.

• Like 1

RUSHU

Moldybagel Level 162 Agi/Cha Eca

Professions:

Shoemaker-- Level 200

Shoemagus-- Level 200 

Farmer-- Level 200

Lumberjack--Level 132

The sad thing is college athletes do get paid, however they don't cash in on it. Seriously none of them take their classes seriously. Every last one of them, with some exception, just goes and plays sports and doesn't care about the degree. I was a Teaching Assistant at my old school for a non-major computer science class. One semester I had a football player in my class. He never did anything, would barely start his home work if he would even turn them in and on his tests it was painfully obvious that he had no idea what he was doing. Well end of the semester comes and he gets concerned and comes to me for advice. I tell him: do both the project and study hard and do well on the final and he might pass you. Gets down to grade projects and the final. He got a 5% on the final and tried to write english as code on his project. A week later the professor gets an email from the Athletic Director wanting to know why he failed the class so he asks me, i pull out all my grading notes and his assignments (i saved most of them one semester at a time so i could access them if our blackboard was down) and show them to the professor. He asks me what do you think. First thing out of my mouth was that he didn't try, never paid attention in recitation and didn't do his homework. We looked at his tests and they were all below a 12%. The professor emailed the Athletic Director all of my notes and his home work assignments as proof and kept his failing grade. He was a scholarship athlete. If this is the kind of person that wants to be paid then they should understand that they will be paid, about 2 weeks after they get their first job out of college.

@moldy: the only reason its called "work" is because the high amount of stress and strain they exert on their bodies. But yes I agree that paying people so much to play sports is just dumb.

Edited by Swiftzor

Swiftz0r.jpg

SOLAR:
Kazehana lvl 3x Tower Defense Int Cra | That-Panda lvl 3x Recovering Agi Panda

RUSHU < RETIRED...FOR NOW>:
Swiftzor lvl 14x Int Osa | TheForsakenOne lvl 7x Bann-Proof Healbot Eni | Aqua-Claw 11x partially scrolled Chance Osa
Swifts-Shadow 10x killbot Sramlet | Melfina- lvl 4x Support Healing Feca That-Panda lvl 6x leech panda nub Wannabe Agility Whore

The sad thing is college athletes do get paid, however they don't cash in on it. Seriously none of them take their classes seriously. Every last one of them, with some exception, just goes and plays sports and doesn't care about the degree. I was a Teaching Assistant at my old school for a non-major computer science class. One semester I had a football player in my class. He never did anything, would barely start his home work if he would even turn them in and on his tests it was painfully obvious that he had no idea what he was doing. Well end of the semester comes and he gets concerned and comes to me for advice. I tell him: do both the project and study hard and do well on the final and he might pass you. Gets down to grade projects and the final. He got a 5% on the final and tried to write english as code on his project. A week later the professor gets an email from the Athletic Director wanting to know why he failed the class so he asks me, i pull out all my grading notes and his assignments (i saved most of them one semester at a time so i could access them if our blackboard was down) and show them to the professor. He asks me what do you think. First thing out of my mouth was that he didn't try, never paid attention in recitation and didn't do his homework. We looked at his tests and they were all below a 12%. The professor emailed the Athletic Director all of my notes and his home work assignments as proof and kept his failing grade. He was a scholarship athlete. If this is the kind of person that wants to be paid then they should understand that they will be paid, about 2 weeks after they get their first job out of college.

@moldy: the only reason its called "work" is because the high amount of stress and strain they exert on their bodies. But yes I agree that paying people so much to play sports is just dumb.

Me being a college football (soccer) player, feels no need to be paid. Yes, i go to school practically free ( Just have to pay for books ). BUT there's always some lazy athletes, it doesn't mean all of us are. My GPA is over a 3.5 and i do well in all my classes. You can't base athletes in general due to some knuckle-head that was in your class. I don't believe we (college atheletes) should be paid, because if you think about it, a full tuition scholorship ends up to be quite a lot of money. Also, if you think NCAA college atheletes don't get paid "under the counter" you are 100% wrong. They just won't admitt to it. Theres been serveral cases of Boosters handing out money to athletes thinking about joining that school. It's just all done under the radar.

Dr-Punk - 197 finallyinendgameset ecaflip.

Football != soccer. The NCAA/BCS football program is the biggest money maker in college sports. You can't compare the privileges that football players get with those of any other sport because they are so highly valued by the schools.

200 Iop -- Pku
200 Enu -- Showboat
200 Eni -- Scam
199 Sram -- Hubris

They should feel lucky for having free tuititions, we don't have that in France. (I'm talking about Ile de France here, don't know about the rest)

• Like 1

My honest opinion (may be be biased, non-factual, ignorant): I seriously cannot fathom ANYONE being paid anything over $100 a week to play football. It is not work..in any fashion. Maybe could be considered entertainment for those who can put on a good show. I cannot and will not ever admit to it being called work (same with any sport). It is 99% marketing and 1%fun activity. It frustrates me to see people respect players for such a meaningless talent.

To put my point into perspective....people always bitch about cashiers, cab drivers, and retail employees being low-lives/shitty jobs....in reality those people are doing a hell of a lot more in life than athletes (minus generating advertising revenue for the said retail chains/colleges/etc).

Anyways not looking to argue and I won't respond to any arguments in this thread. I just truly feel that they should feel blessed to receive free tuition for literally playing a game that some men their age play on their saturday's off from class and work.

I don't know if you're talking about professional players or college players but professional players only deserve $100 a week? Useless talent? Entertainment is one of the most valuable things for human existence, if they have an 'useless talent' that can entertain millions and that generates millions then why shouldn't they get paid?

Comparing them to cashiers is simply silly, anyone can be a cashier hence the low pay, not many people can put on a good show for a crowd, let that be through sport or any other entertainment form; athletes also have to put in a LOT more than it may look, especially if you put them in perspective in a country like america where being able to run might be a thing of the past for the majority of the population.

I really don't see why people hate on sportsmen so much.

Because he's the hero that Brakmar deserves, but not the one it needs right now ... So we'll hunt him... Because he can take it... Because he's not a hero... He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... The Dark Xelor.

PROUD member of THE ELKAMYSTS

I'll be the first to say that professional athletes are overpaid, that the thought of a rookie straight out of college signing a multi-million dollar contract simply shouldn't happen, and that the thought of people striking because they're no longer happy with their multi-million dollar contracts makes me ill, but $100 a week? Granted, what they do may not warrant a salary of millions per year, but to understate what they do is just silly.

• Like 1

I don't know if you're talking about professional players or college players but professional players only deserve $100 a week? Useless talent? Entertainment is one of the most valuable things for human existence, if they have an 'useless talent' that can entertain millions and that generates millions then why shouldn't they get paid?

Comparing them to cashiers is simply silly, anyone can be a cashier hence the low pay, not many people can put on a good show for a crowd, let that be through sport or any other entertainment form; athletes also have to put in a LOT more than it may look, especially if you put them in perspective in a country like america where being able to run might be a thing of the past for the majority of the population.

I really don't see why people hate on sportsmen so much.

There would be professional sports if the players were paid as low as cashiers. There will always be people willing to play sports for anything that would provide some sort of living. The topic is related to college athletes. Hence the topic. I believe that a full ride through college, exposure to professional organizations (NFL,NHL, NBA, etc) is plenty of compensation for playing a game and sacrificing social time or free time.

Yes, entertainment is probably the largest industry that exists, but the job of playing football itself does not require the pay rates that athletes receive. I am not trying to argue that the players do not generate massive revenue for the teams or the organization, but I am saying that it is silly to pay someone that much to do something they would probably do for half the price (or someone else would do).

I'd say that if a full ride for school, fame, and a boost in the social environment are not enough for NCAA players, why don't they drop out and see if they can find better elsewhere (which they more than likely can't). They should count their blessings and understand that the majority of the population won't get to play a game for a living and will have to manage college debt, loans, and work a variety of jobs to support themselves.

I'll be the first to say that professional athletes are overpaid, that the thought of a rookie straight out of college signing a multi-million dollar contract simply shouldn't happen, and that the thought of people striking because they're no longer happy with their multi-million dollar contracts makes me ill, but $100 a week? Granted, what they do may not warrant a salary of millions per year, but to understate what they do is just silly.

I'll respond because it seems others are taking the $100 a week comment seriously. That was an exaggeration. I was attempting to get my point across that I find it silly to be paid millions to play a game that you enjoy. So please do not take the $100 as a serious wage (as you could probably roam the streets and earn that much picking up change and washing cars).

They should feel lucky for having free tuititions, we don't have that in France. (I'm talking about Ile de France here, don't know about the rest)

Couldn't agree with you more!

• Like 1

RUSHU

Moldybagel Level 162 Agi/Cha Eca

Professions:

Shoemaker-- Level 200

Shoemagus-- Level 200 

Farmer-- Level 200

Lumberjack--Level 132

I'm not going to quote the whole thing

I have to agree with Dr-Punkk, here. You seem to be lumping all college athletes under the "doesn't care, dumb as a bag of bricks" umbrella.

I'll be the first to say that professional athletes are overpaid, that the thought of a rookie straight out of college signing a multi-million dollar contract simply shouldn't happen, and that the thought of people striking because they're no longer happy with their multi-million dollar contracts makes me ill

I couldn't agree with you more.

This whole fiasco with players going on strike because they aren't happy with their millions upon millions just seems ridiculous. Granted, some athletes aren't paid as much as the big names, but they're still pretty well off!

Well, they make money off NCAA games because from what I know many people watch it. So if they're making others rich, they might as well get something for their work. I'm nowhere near being a professional athlete or getting into a college for it(unless I play tennis alot more). And NCAA is before NFL right? Anyways, athletes are paid by what they offer and how popular the sport. QB of my city just resigned a 6year contract for 59million o.O

1314179731971.gif

Well, they make money off NCAA games because from what I know many people watch it. So if they're making others rich, they might as well get something for their work. I'm nowhere near being a professional athlete or getting into a college for it(unless I play tennis alot more). And NCAA is before NFL right? Anyways, athletes are paid by what they offer and how popular the sport. QB of my city just resigned a 6year contract for 59million o.O

Ryan Fitzpatrick? :P I live in Amherst, NY. He gets 59 million over 6 years, 24 million guaranteed. NFL is one thing. It's a business and whether they make too much for what they do doesn't matter to me. I'm not quite sure how I feel about NCAA players receiving a salary on top of their scholarships. My first thought was that they shouldn't. But their efforts do bring money to the universities. How that money is spent though is what makes me unsure. If that money is fed right back into the athletic program, then I guess it doesn't matter to me what they do with it. But if some of it goes to benefit other programs and departments of the school, then I think it should stay the way it is.

signature.png

NCAA players getting paid (legally, no doubt some get paid under the table) is bullshit.

Not only do they get to play the game they love infront of thousands of people, they get a free ride through college to a degree, exposure to proffesional sports organisations, potential fame and in most NCAA div I colleges incredible facilities to work with/in

+probably get loads of bitches :P

Hell, I'm not even from America and I'd love to play college football even if I had to pay to do it (granted I was skilled enough), these guys just dont realise how lucky they are.

Assuming college tuition costs around the same as here they should be getting ~$18,000+ free tuition, essentially pay, and they can still have a job ontop of this so it's not as if theyre struggling to survive, they're just being greedy wankers.

• Like 1

sig.jpg

ladyboy.jpg

Assuming college tuition costs around the same as here they should be getting ~$18,000+ free tuition, essentially pay, and they can still have a job on top of this so it's not as if they're struggling to survive, they're just being greedy wankers.

College football takes a considerable amount of their free time. It may not be as easy for them to have a job, considering they also often have to maintain a certain GPA to be eligible to play. I'm not making excuses for them, but that's one argument they may have on the pro-salary side.

signature.png

in most NCAA div I colleges incredible facilities to work with/in

True. Usually NOT funded by the sports program though XD

How many of you actual have a clue as what the fuck you are talking about?

College football is huge. Thousands make HUGE BOADLOADS OF CASH. MILLIONS EVEN.

The players who make it all happen can't have any of that? OK. Suck my dick.

The University of Texas made $68,830,484 in profit off of their football team last year. PROFIT.

That's €49,711,440 and £42,815,658

Profits rose 11% from the previous year and many expect the same this year. So you know. Money. MONEY.

Edited by Arkarain

ArkarainKimono.jpg

The University of Texas made $68,830,484 in profit off of their football team last year. PROFIT.

Profits rose 11% from the previous year and many expect the same this year. So you know. Money. MONEY.

They can't have any of that? Do you have any idea what the tuition alone costs over at UofT? How about USC? Any of the Pac10?

The savings alone is more than worth it. I know people that are working full-time jobs (and some more than one) whilst schooling it up at a local community college that would kill, as in literally take someone's life, for a free ride at a UC. Meanwhile, these student athletes whom you seem to idolize oh so much are, for the most part, just that....student athletes. They get their free tuition, and depending on where they are, they get their books, living expenses, and pussy for free as well.

You say they need more? I say they have more than enough.

• Like 1

So you're saying the guy announcing the game should earn more than the guy playing it. I see.

Also a savings of what? In getting that degree in communications that will do them ABSOLUTELY nothing down the road? Oh free tuition? Well. You cut in financial aid into that and it's no different than any other university.

Oh man I saved like 120k in college costs. AWW YEEA. Too bad the guy commentating about my football plays earned WELL over that in a single season.

Edited by Arkarain

ArkarainKimono.jpg

I have to agree with Dr-Punkk, here. You seem to be lumping all college athletes under the "doesn't care, dumb as a bag of bricks" umbrella.

Okay I'm not saying that for ALL cases, just meerly one in which I was involved in (also I almost lost my job over it because he claimed I was never available to help when he made 0 effort to contact me or come to office hours). Also on another note this also tends to be my experience at Iowa State and their college athletes, not the case every where, or even the case for all of their athletes. 3 years ago I worked for the hockey team as equipment manager, these students didn't get a scholarship, but most of them had the same outlook as the one in the example.

Take this into consideration. The university pays for these students tuition which (suppose non-resident here) is $17,824 for the business college for ONE SEMESTER. Then they also pay for their books, which can run about $500 a SEMESTER. Oh, and where will these students live? On Campus!! Because the University owns it: $9,023 a YEAR. Those guys are big and need a lot of food so they should probably eat too: $1500 a SEMESTER (some are included but these are some really big boys). Then they play so much football they fall behind in their classes/hit their heads too much and become stoopid so they need tuitoring: $1280 a SEMESTER (assuming they use it all 16 weeks for 4 3 credit classes at $10/hour standard). That brings us to a grand total of: $51,231 per student athlete. Here's some more fun facts: I'm not including travel expenses, training fees, equipment use, weight room upkeep, game day meals, game day beverages (Gatorade), stipend (if applicable), or family benefits. So if you think that they still need to be paid, go ahead, but right now they're getting paid more than your average EDUCATOR. They "make" almost 3 times that of the poverty line for a family of 4 and are on TV constantly. Not to mention they probably never buy drinks at a bar, or pay cover.

Also its NCAA policy that each scholarship sport must help to contribute to the others, so the football team may have made that much money but it doesn't all go to football.

Sources:

http://www.utexas.edu/business/accounting/pubs/tf_undergrad_fall11.pdf

http://www.utexas.edu/student/housing/index.php?site=0&scode=3&id=441

http://www.utexas.edu/student/housing/index.php?site=18&scode=0&id=609

P.S. NCAA does NOT mean football. NCAA means National College Athletic Association. So all sports, so lets quit making it out to be football only.

• Like 1

Swiftz0r.jpg

SOLAR:

Swiftzor lvl 14x Int Osa | TheForsakenOne lvl 7x Bann-Proof Healbot Eni | Aqua-Claw 11x partially scrolled Chance Osa
Swifts-Shadow 10x killbot Sramlet | Melfina- lvl 4x Support Healing Feca That-Panda lvl 6x leech panda nub Wannabe Agility Whore

I dunno what the standing on my college's NCAA teams are, but they do have very nice athletic facilities. Very nais. I'd give the credit to the football team, but then there's the ~$500/year every single student pays (mandatory) to use it! Hrmm.. 24 hour fitness doesn't cost that much! And our outdoor pools aren't that amazing either.

*shrug* Ah well :)

Edited by Kyanche

So you're saying the guy announcing the game should earn more than the guy playing it. I see.

For college games? You bet your ass I do. Also, there's a huge difference between the wage the announcer makes, and that of the players. Like I said in my previous post, and Swift did up there ^, you really need to break everything down before saying anything.

Also a savings of what? In getting that degree in communications that will do them ABSOLUTELY nothing down the road? Oh free tuition? Well. You cut in financial aid into that and it's no different than any other university.

And I suppose that the student's choice of major isn't ultimately his/her responsibility? If a student goes to a university to major in Philosophy and can only find work upon graduation as a host at the local diner, is it the university's fault for giving them that "bogus" piece of paper? Should that student then turn around and sue said university for time wasted and damages? C'mon now...

you go to college to get a good job. going to college shouldn't be the job.

• Like 1

200 Water Enutrof - Salucia

200 Water Xelor - Straat

199 Earth/Fire Iop - SlashFTW

195 Water/Fire Cra - Stratosphere

194 Fire/Water Eni - Strategem

184 Agility Panda - Stratica

199 Earth Sadida- Setaria

People need to distinguish what they're talking.

Are you talking about the super elite who get the actual full ride or are you talking about the typical college athlete who maintains a decent GPA and only receives a small modest amount of money?

Because both are getting screwed.

The exceptional NFL tier athletes make NOTHING whereas the system that uses them goes on to make millions. They don't go to college for a degree. They get one because it's required.

The typical athlete is getting boned because the bulk on the money allotted for athletic scholarships goes to the guy above.

Also, lol at 50k a year. I hear that paying 11 guys on your team 200k each (which you don't, sup grants) matters when you can use that to make 69mill

(THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN EVER ANYWAY.)

Edited by Arkarain

ArkarainKimono.jpg

People need to distinguish what they're talking.

Are you talking about the super elite who get the actual full ride or are you talking about the typical college athlete who maintains a decent GPA and only receives a small modest amount of money?

Because both are getting screwed.

The exceptional NFL tier athletes make NOTHING whereas the system that uses them goes on to make millions. They don't go to college for a degree. They get one because it's required.

The typical athlete is getting boned because the bulk on the money allotted for athletic scholarships goes to the guy above.

Also, lol at 50k a year. I hear that paying 11 guys on your team 200k each (which you don't, sup grants) matters when you can use that to make 69mill

(THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN EVER ANYWAY.)

So are you trying to say that only 4 students on a football team of about 100 get a full ride? Well that number is more like 30 - 40 students, you have to remember most starters get a full ride, the back up QB, WR, RB, TE, most of the back defensive field, and all of the special teams all get full rides. So yea it may still be a small sum but they also have to pay the coaches, support staff, people working the games, and the refs, they all have to get paid. Then there is city permits, parking stature, noise permits, security salaries, and thats only to name a few.

Also if they don't go to college for a degree why go? Playing college sports isn't "required" by any means, its just the easiest way to get recognized . THEY are the ones that need to understand that you go to college to learn, not to throw a ball around.

• Like 2

Swiftz0r.jpg

SOLAR: