• Orange
  • Banana
  • Emerald
  • Ankama Brown
  • Charcoal
Sign in to follow this  
Formulamonster

Total War

Hey, I recently started playing Total War Medieval II, which I found really fun (also that damn pope is a bitch- in the game). I just ordered Shogun 2, but i'm wondering: does anyone else play the game? If yes, could they share tactics or something?

I used to play MTW 2, although gonna be honest I wasn't great at it... Gonna be looking forward to possible tactics people post here, might re-spark my interest in the game again. :(

Because he's the hero that Brakmar deserves, but not the one it needs right now ... So we'll hunt him... Because he can take it... Because he's not a hero... He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... The Dark Xelor.

PROUD member of THE ELKAMYSTS

Shogun II is a lot different to Medieval II, in fact it's so different I've lost every single campaign I started in it so far. First couple were due to being outnumbered, third one was due to a city rebelling because I didn't give them enough food. Which led to them spawning a rebel army that was larger than the entirety of my armed forces...

I think archers are more effective in Shogun II, as are cavalry. Things move faster and hit with more impact generally. Saying that, tactics are largely the same - don't get your general killed, use spearmen to defend your lines and absorb charges, flank with cavalry; a good old fashioned attack into the rear of an enemy formation as they charge your lines will always work wonders.

Another tactic for Medieval II is to just play as Milan. God dammit, Milan, why u so win.

Shogun II is a lot different to Medieval II, in fact it's so different I've lost every single campaign I started in it so far. First couple were due to being outnumbered, third one was due to a city rebelling because I didn't give them enough food. Which led to them spawning a rebel army that was larger than the entirety of my armed forces...

I think archers are more effective in Shogun II, as are cavalry. Things move faster and hit with more impact generally. Saying that, tactics are largely the same - don't get your general killed, use spearmen to defend your lines and absorb charges, flank with cavalry; a good old fashioned attack into the rear of an enemy formation as they charge your lines will always work wonders.

Another tactic for Medieval II is to just play as Milan. God dammit, Milan, why u so win.

also, inner trade networks are a must (rice exchange in most cities kept me alive!!! :P)

won one campaign so far on normal, i love it, its been almost remade i think, much harder, and better :)

but yeah, good exchange, low tax, i kept away from the sea because it caused me to hemorrhage money like nothing ive seen before, and also, research, pick it wisely (i liked the archers way of life, having all my castles FULL of archers because their upkeep was almost nothing was brilliant :) )

On Medieval 2, I find that blitzing the ennemy (killing them in one turn) is best, because then the pope won't exocommunicate you. Or you could siege them, wait until they attack you then they get exocommunicated.

On Medieval 2, I find that blitzing the ennemy (killing them in one turn) is best, because then the pope won't exocommunicate you. Or you could siege them, wait until they attack you then they get exocommunicated.

Whaat? By the time it's economically viable to have enough armies to stomp a powerful faction in one turn, I don't think excommunication would really be an issue. Most of my pope issues stem from him telling me to stop attacking a faction that I'm defending myself against :[

Which reminds me, I really need to go and destroy the vatican in my Spain campaign. Serves them right for attacking me when I own half the planet.

Edited by Jørfs

Worked for England on my Scotland campaing, unfortunetaly; bigger countries are harder to blitz. And you own half the world? I find controlling too many cities annoying, so now I just sack them all.

I love the Pope.

I was attacked by Denmark and Venice (they both used to be my allies- traitors) when I was playing with the holy roman empire. The only thing that my empire had was money. No army, but tons of money. So I go and see the pope, I give him 10 000 florins and a city, then I ask him to help me atack Denmark and I ask for a crusade on Venice. 7 turns later, Venice and Denmark are both dead.

I love the Pope.

I was attacked by Denmark and Venice (they both used to be my allies- traitors)

In MTW2, you should never ever trust your allies, nor the pope. The AI is just too random.

Pope is just basically some bonus happiness in your cities. If you can't handle being excommunicated, just go and kill the pope (Seriously, works 100%)

Still waiting for Shogun 2 to get a little cheaper... Might start playing some Rome Total War before that, imo the best of the serie so far (Haven't tried Shogun2 tho...!)

Meet me at the ice cream truck

Oh lord, I'm used to playign Medieval II on hard because the AI can be a bit silly and it doesn't cause me any trouble. I also played Stainless Steel mod with an AI mod, and it was a much more considerable challenge.

But Shogun 2 on hard is kicking my ass. I can survive...I just can't expand. I get swamped by huge army stacks, as my own allies dander off and do something in the opposite direction, or my well placed allies end up being too weak to survive. But the one major annoyance I have is that I am almost certain that the AI gets movement bonuses on the campaign maps. Which is a bit annoying as they outmanouvere me and get economic bonuses...just wish there was a way to adjust battle difficulty and map difficulty seperately.

But saying all that, it's probably one of the best in the series so far. I'm enjoying it a lot :]

On the technical side of things, I'm not ure why they put graphics options in the menu, because the game evidently downgrades whatever you've set without explicitly telling you it's done so. I have shadows set to medium, and textures set to high, but in battles I end up with no shadows and really naff textures. So it's been downgraded, presumably because my PC can't handle the chosen settings, but it never told me they had been. Annoying, the settings that I've selected aren't even changed.

Edited by Jørfs

I used to have Shogun: Total War and I absolutely loved it, though the rebels were always the biggest pain in the ass. Never found out what happened to it, my brother must've took it. But he also plays Rome: Total War and he loves it as well

signature-1-1.png