• Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wish

Tutorials For All

The Sumaleth Tutorial Archive

Over 18 pages of tutorial links, many from professional concept and comic book artists.

Stickydoodle Process Tutorials

Process steps from an excellent artist

GFXartist Tutorial Archive

Another collection of general drawing, concept&design, and digital illustration tutorials. The Loomis books are here too.

Artist Hospital

An archive of tutorial posted on Deviant Art. Well ordered archive organized by tutorial subject, ratings included to show you which tuts are the best.

Character Anatomy

General character anatomy tut

Ear Tutorial

How to create and color exotic ear-types (most of the Dofus characters have pointy ears, so I figured this might help someone -_^)

Basic Animal Anatomy

An excellent breakdown of some basic animal forms by muscle group - perfect for people having problems drawing the pets and monsters!

More to come. If you know of other good tutorials online, please post them here!

-Wish

Edit by Dae:

General Sig/Av FAQ

Answers to most of your questions about signature and avatars here.

Multiple Sig/Av Tutorial

Find out how to have a different signature or avatar each time someone refreshes the page.

Cleaning Guild Logos

Hiroe teaches you how to properly clean a guild logo for use in an image.

I've been following this artist for a long time. She's become really famous lately, dubbed a "superstar" by one of those CG magazines.

http://www.furiae.com/index.php?view=gallery

Amazing tutorials.

does anyone know if there is anyway of getting a computerized manequin for drawing? i really need one for my art project at school an i'm too fucking lazy to buy my own

get yoda to give us one!

Thankyou <3

now to crack the trial packs ;)

www.Pixel2Life.com is a Great tutorial site for Photoshop, Macromedia Flash MX, Paint shop Pro, Adobe Illustrator... List goes on.

Well, I don't have a page for it all, so here is picture :P

stickoutjn6.png

hXXp://gfxw0rld.0rg/

(plz change the "0" to "o" )

Edited by hwachai

http://www.thefwa.com/

Edited by hwachai

Juyst thought I'd add a little bit of wisdom that I have found very very useful since I've been drawing.

-When drawing people, Never use straight lines!

Simple but you'll be surprised how helpful it is :)

I use these two programs called: Gimp and Dogwaffle.

thnx guys the links r great

i will post some after checking the forum rules

cause seems not any site can be posted here :)

I see that most of the fanartists here are using CG methods, but if anyone were interested in more traditional Prismacolor pencil and marker techniques (or at least the ones I use):

1.Selecting Paper

Of course a high-caliber paper means high-caliber ink retention, less bleed (when colors move through the paper when you don't want them to!), and smoother erasing of your pencil lineart. My preferred paper for super-special projects, therefore, is 100lb. smooth (Plate) Bristol (Vellum Bristol is more textured and suitable for pastels, pencil, and maybe even a little bit of ink and wash--Bristol doesn't like to get too wet though--it gets lumpy and uneven). Several companies produce Bristol board in different sizes, but I especially like Strathmore's 9"x12" 300-Series, with the yellow covers, in which individual sheets are easy to detach from the bound book. It's also fun to experiment with your papers: cardboard is great for Prismacolor pencils, chalk pastels (<3), and acrylics, and for most of the commissions I get on the board I use a 60-75lb lightly textured paper from one of my sketchbooks.

2.Lineart

I like to think I go about the lineart in a fairly traditional way--I use 0.5 lead in pencils with long nibs (for details and control), and MONO erasers to construct most lineart. MONO are super-soft and very, very good at erasing with minimal damage to the paper. Unfortunately they are Japanese and sometimes hard to get ahold of (try the Internet, it always delivers :wub:). Other things one might like to use for lineart include kneaded erasers (gray and available at most arts-and-crafts stores; they look/feel a lot like putty), which don't leave any eraser crumbs and are great for achieving subtle pencil tones, though not so good for heavy-duty erasure; some people like wooden pencils in various hardnesses (6H being hardest, 6B being softest), or different-sized mechanical pencils (0.3 was the smallest I tried, and it broke a bit too often for me) so test 'em all out to find your favorites. :]

3. Inking

After I complete a pencil sketch, I use waterproof, non-bleeding pens to ink my lines. The brand I'm using now is Zig Millennium (another Japanese brand), which can be found in art stores. Also recommended are the famous Sakura Microns. I believe both brands come in different colors, but usually I use black. As for nib sizes, I like to keep one fat pen and several thinner pens: a 08, two or three 03s, and a 005. After loyally using Micron 01s for the longest time, I've decided that I'm comfortable with my preference for fatter lines ;]

If you want to go whole-hog traditional manga-style inking, you can try to get a fountain pen and some ink. They have sets available in stores, so you can test out which tip you prefer. If I remember correctly, G-tips get a lot of detail with thin lines (and was the kind I tried to use for a little while). Fountain pens are much harder to use, though, so caveat emptor.

4. Erasing

I give the whole inked drawing a couple of minutes to soak into the paper. For better paper, the waiting time is muchly reduced; anyway, by the time you get to the feet, for example, the head is probably ready for erasing (if you started there, that is). Really try to eradicate all the pencil lines, while being careful not to bend the paper with your exertions.

5. Coloring (Markers)

I am quite a fan of Prismacolor's turpenoid markers: they come in a huge array of colors and are double-tipped (they newly made the thin tip into a brush tip, so <3333 for that). They're also water- and fade-proof, easy and fun to blend, and fairly fast to apply (as opposed to their colored pencil counterparts). I especially recommend buying a Neutrals set--get lots of grays and skin tones--and one of the 12-marker basic sets. Clear blenders are only sometimes useful, as I've discovered, so don't overstock yourself on those (as yours truly did some years past).

For most of the commissions I've done for IV members, I used marker for most of the coloring.

*If there is any interest, maybe I'll make a proper marker tutorial later...*

(Pencils)

Prismacolor pencils are clay-like, incredibly vibrant and easy to blend. The problem is, you must apply very heavy pressure to get them to come out so thick and rich, and that (1)is slow/tiring and (2) wears down pencils pretty fast. Sometimes I use them in tandem with markers--lots of fun, but definitely need to be careful of how the colored pencils will "stain" the marker tips. [slayertrixx's picture was mostly done with them, for example.]

(Etc.)

For some additional highlighting or details I use white-out (cheapy whiteout is fine, but be careful of those huge blobby brushes attached to the cap), chalk pastels, and sometimes gel pens (nice for hair and metallic details). Fun times.

Yay! Dance! The picture is finished! :wub:

Edited by EKBlack

Here is a great site for GIMP tutorials.

gimptalk.com

www.deviantart.com

Its FULL of tutorials and stock images. Its a network of artist helping and critiquing each other. You can search for any kind of tutorial there. Free photoshop actions, brushes, GIMP brushes too...everything. I use it all the time.

Was looking around on Dev art and I found this: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/56907784/

It's a tutorial for coloring line art in Photoshop 6 all the way up to CS2

very helpful! ty .<3

Added a new tutorial aggregator: Artists Hospital.

They've got the tuts all nice and ordered by type and they're even rated. :D

-Wish

i would just like to find a decent sig creator :s

1 person likes this

Great links :) Thanks a lot.

great tnx