• Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Azaelya

How We Work With You!

29 posts in this topic

WE ABSOLUTELY LOVE RECEIVING REPORTS OF ALL KINDS!

Seriously. We do. Lately we are coming across more and more threads where people are posting things like "Necromancy, much?", "Wrong section, buddy", and "STFU NOOB <insert flamey response here>". We understand the urge to respond to people when you think they've made a mistake. Calling them out on it should be helpful, right? Well, unfortunately, calling someone out like that in a thread doesn't really help at all. Rather, it causes more spam, it often angers other people, and sometimes the issue will go unnoticed by our staff for longer than we (and you) would like.

Have no fear, fellow Imps Villagers, for there is a way to overcome this nasty affliction. We call it "The Report System". It is a direct link from you to us, and that means all of us. This gives all of the staffers access to the complaint, and means that the likelihood of it being handled in a timely fashion is greatly increased. It's pretty much win/win for all! Here's how it happens:

1. Click our handy-dandy little button!

reportin0na5.jpg

2. Fill out the form and choose a report category!

picture22mg4.png

3. Hit "Submit Report" and you are DONE!

picture23vl3.png

Now, you may find yourself sitting there thinking, "When exactly is it appropriate to use the report button? I don't want to burden the mod team with any superfluous reports." Just remember this: When in doubt, send a report! We would much rather receive too many reports as opposed to too few. And if we think you're consistently reporting things that are really not problematic, we'll send you a happy little PM about it. However, to help you all figure out the best times to use the report button, here's a little list:

-Flaming/Griefing/Baiting or any of those big baddies that go against our rules.

-Wrong section of the forum.

-Spam.

-Sellroom threads (or any threads) that you created that you want to have closed.

-Kyek talking about Mac stuff.

OK, the last one is obviously a joke (or is it?!?) but you all get the drift. If it seems like something that either doesn't belong where it is, or it's against our rules, report it. Please. And use the report button instead of posting your own response in the thread. If you want to post your snarky remark in the comments section of the report, go right ahead, but please do that instead of adding that commentary to the thread.

We want to know about these things so that we can take care of them. We can't possibly look at every thread on this forum every day, so it's up to you guys to make sure we catch things when they happen. We try to pop into as many topics as possible, but we do have real lives (sorry, we're not all bots- myself included :P) and we can't possibly keep track of everything. We want you guys to be out there helping us so that we can better help you!

So please, everyone, help us help you. Help us........ help you. :P

AZAELYA SUCKS MONKEY BALLS.

Anyway guys, macs are awesome.

(Seriously, this post is golden. Read it like six times, then make your family read it, then stop feeding your dog until he reads it too)

(Imps Village is not responsible for the death of its members' pets)

Kyek ish reported D:<

na, Thanks aza for the great post. I Read it a few times, But i dun have a dog :P

-Othe

My dog wants me to clear my cache.

Nice job Aza!

Highfive Aza! Sexy post, sexy poster.

I think it's about time that people started working constructively to help. The report button is hawt.

nice guide az :D i've been using reports for quite some time now :P

Now to actually hope the report system is used instead of the needless spam. Doubt it, but one can hope.

Wait a second, i know what your idea of a "happy little pm" is :)

nice guide.

Also a little spam is nice :D it livens up the boring threads :o

Question: in which cateogry should I report necromancy?

What's wrong with "necromany"? If some topic remained unanswered isn't it just better to reply to that incase someone sees it. Might make other people notice it too and prevent them from making another topic about the same thing. Becouse then every starts bitching about how there already are 15 topics about the same subject.

Either way both don't bother me and I never saw the problem with it but we all know some people do for some odd reason x.x'

Edited by grishnackh

Some necromancy is needed. Some necromancy (bumping an old GD discussion with "lol", posting in a year-old Marketplace topic with "Too expensive!", etc, etc) is just annoying and brings back topics that no longer have a purpose. Sometimes the situations around the original thread have changed so much that a necro bump is more likely to reap replies like "this doesn't work any more/isn't applicable/doesn't work this way" and a new thread would be much better (for example, an old thread thread about how to aggro others might get a question about how many people you have to aggress to get rid of a disgrace point. 1-on-1 aggros don't give back honor right now, so even though it's a legitimate request for information, the bumper is better off starting a new topic or finding a topic that's better suited to their needs.)

Mods do weigh the merit of the thread and its current relevance before locking it in necromatic (like aromatic, but more stinky) situations.

Don't forget that the Search function will always reach a topic, no matter how far back in the archives it is.

-Wish

AZAELYA SUCKS MONKEY BALLS.

(Seriously, this post is golden. Read it like six times, then make your family read it, then stop feeding your dog until he reads it too)

(Imps Village is not responsible for the death of its members' pets)

Amen. :P Ah, thanks yet I ahven't used a IPB report button for a... long... time, and only if I need to. I will do so, and thanks for the little "obvious" guide of the report button for those who don't seek the whole dang page. ;)

Amen. :P Ah, thanks yet I ahven't used a IPB report button for a... long... time, and only if I need to. I will do so, and thanks for the little "obvious" guide of the report button for those who don't seek the whole dang page. ;)

Haha. Well, you know, I really like making picture guides. :lol:

Now to actually hope the report system is used instead of the needless spam. Doubt it, but one can hope.

Expect to start seeing spam posts along the lines of

" I reported your ass"

Necromancy on most forums isnt rule breaking btw , it may be tedious to see a new member bump the first thread ever on a forum thats been up a few years but it isnt generally considered rule breaking .

If anything the member is mal informed and its the staffs job (or just really nice members) to push the new member in the right direction rather then start spamming "Necromancy ! :P " because in that case the only person who should be warned would be the poster claiming necro.

So all in all i really dont think necromancy should be a basis for a warning , unless of course its a member who knows what there doing and are just doing it to be an ass .

And as stated its a situational Dependant case , some times its good , some times its bad but still shouldnt really be nothing to fret over . If someone necro's a thread but it actually looks like its worth while to keep going then let it be , if it looks like its just going to be a spamfest then i trust the staff then know what to do .

Edited by Doctor Who

To be clear, we don't really go around slapping everyone with a warn when they innocently necro a thread. People sometimes don't notice the date. It happens. If someone is necro'ing a TON of threads, then maybe. OR if it's someone who totally knows better and really is just doing it for his/her own personal amusement. :P

Most of the time our response is to delete the unnecessary post and/or lock the thread. We do that at our discretion, and we most certainly get plenty of reports about "necro'd" threads that we look over and decide to leave open because the discussion has been revived/new information has been added/the thread hasn't been dead for that long/<insert other totally valid excuse here>. Basically, we have it in the rules and we enforce it, but you're almost certainly* not going to get booted from here because you necro'd threads.

*I did say "almost certainly", so don't think you can go crazy and start pulling up threads from December '06, OK people? ;)

What's wrong with "necromany"? If some topic remained unanswered isn't it just better to reply to that incase someone sees it. Might make other people notice it too and prevent them from making another topic about the same thing. Becouse then every starts bitching about how there already are 15 topics about the same subject.

Either way both don't bother me and I never saw the problem with it but we all know some people do for some odd reason x.x'

Nothing is wrong with it, really. It's just that after someone brings back an old topic, that topic starts getting spammed by stupid people with things such as "NECROMANCY!!11" or "zmog such an old topic", which eventually leads to the topic getting flooded just for +1's and major off-topicness. Then, of course, the topic just gets locked anyways.

Nothing is wrong with it, really. It's just that after someone brings back an old topic, that topic starts getting spammed by stupid people with things such as "NECROMANCY!!11" or "zmog such an old topic", which eventually leads to the topic getting flooded just for +1's and major off-topicness. Then, of course, the topic just gets locked anyways.

Then it that case it isnt the necromancy thats bad just the inability for regular members here to keep some rational posting skill and succumb to the will of getting a +1 in ..

To answer the initial question of why necromancy is "bad", it's because it is a form of topic spam. It knocks threads with valid conversations down and revives dead ones. People see these threads and think is a new conversation/ongoing conversation, but it was just bumped with a "lol" and nothing else. It's spam, plain and simple. Also, if someone posts in a marketplace topic that is months old, that's pretty much the same thing. If someone posted 6 months ago that he/she is selling an item, I think it's safe to assume that the item is gone. The thread gets bumped, people think that item is still for sale/being auctioned, and so on. Spam and pointless.

I posted above about times when there are valid reasons for reviving an old thread, but for the most part it's a no-no.

And I am totally necroing my own thread (for great justice, I think). It seems like we've had an increase of people saying things like "this thread really needs to be cleaned up" or "this is going to get locked soon" within the thread, yet no reports are sent. I am bumping this little guide on reporting as a reminder that it's OK to report things to us--don't be shy! Some people apologize for sending in reports because they think it's a burden to us, but it really isn't. The burden is having to clean up a huge flamey mess in a thread that could have been easily controlled if a report had been sent immediately upon ignition.

I also want to remind people that while I do stress the time element in regards to reports--as in, if you report things immediately, we can stop the flamefest before it gets out of control-- but I don't want to give the false impression that sending a report means immediate action every time. Some things require discussion amongst the team until we come to a consensus on how to handle the situation, while others are much more to the point (eg. "Close this thread, plox"). I want to reiterate that we are not robots, as well, so please keep that in mind if no one has acted upon your report just yet. You're always welcome to send a friendly little "nudge PM" to one of the mods/admins asking about the report, if you feel the need :).

Additionally, I have a tip for certain kinds of reports, known as The Wrong Section Report:

If something is in a section that you believe to be the incorrect home for that thread, please report it and let us know where you believe the thread should go. It's not that we have no idea that a rant belongs in La Madre or anything, but when it comes to marketplace topics, it becomes much more difficult. I honestly don't know the levels of all the equips in Dofus, so if I see a report that tells me some piece of equipment doesn't belong in mid-level equipment, I will probably not know where that DOES belong. And I am much less likely to look up item levels while I am at work :P. The best course of action in any "wrong section" report is to suggest where the thread should be moved.

And that about wraps it up for my 8-month bump. So please, folks, don't ignore the report button. It gets lonely.

Sometimes I report, sometimes I just link it to a mod in IRC, as it tends to constitute a more immediate response. Although the responses from using the report button are generally very speedy, especially as there are mods covering most time zone ranges.

Bumping because earlier today five people responded to a thread about someone selling his/her account and not one of those people reported the thread. Again, this is to help us help you. We need you guys to report these things, not post in them to tell the person they are "doing it wrong" :P.

PS. Linking to this thread as a reply to someone who commented on the validity of a previous post (something that should have been reported), while ironic, is just as bad. Don't do it!

Just bumping this as a reminder to everyone. Report things! Especially your own finished marketplace threads. There's one or two users who are brilliant at reporting other people's marketplace topics to be closed after the OP is done with it, but we can't rely on them all the time.

Also, you only need to report a single post in a topic if it's gone off the rails. The reports module links us to the post in the topic, and we will generally read the rest of the topic before doing something. It's rare for us to delete the post in question without looking and move on.

And slightly related to the above, no need to get trigger happy! Occasionally a member will report the same post repeatedly, at five minute intervals or such, because we haven't gotten to it. Whilst our current active mod team covers a wide range of time zones, some of us, (e.g. myself), are on an erratic timetable because of work loads. However, we WILL get to the report. They don't expire!

Oh, and I want to emphasise what Aza said about telling us where a marketplace thread should be moved to. I haven't played in a few years now, and whilst I still keep up with the game through modding, there's no way in hell I'll know what level an equip is. And I generally don't have the time to go looking it up.

On a similar note, please don't erase or replace the content of marketplace posts after the transaction(s) have been completed. Adding a "closed", "sold" or "bought" tag to topic description will grab our attention to close it and leave the post as a reference for others. And please, report the topic when you're done with it! <3

On a similar note, please don't erase or replace the content of marketplace posts after the transaction(s) have been completed. Adding a "closed", "sold" or "bought" tag to topic description will grab our attention to close it and leave the post as a reference for others. And please, report the topic when you're done with it! <3

Unsure if I should even be posting here.. but this for great justice. Too often I look at a topic that looks promising as a price guide, and someone deleted everything, leaving me with nothing =3.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0