• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
  • Announcements

• Rob

Server Merge and Changes to Imps Village   04/30/17

The old server sections will still be viewable at the bottom of the forum list under Legacy Servers, but read only. If you wish for any thread to be moved to the new sections, please report your own thread to bring it to our attention and tell us where you need it to go.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wish

Common Scams and How to Spot Them

37 posts in this topic

This thread was originally posted by Biggal on the original Imps Forum. It's been modified and expanded from the original, but his work is deeply appreciated! Thanks Biggal! Additional thanks to Yrona for some information added to the begging for kamas part of the honorable mentions. :)

"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch" said one wise man long ago. If you think this holds true in real life, it holds doubly true in Dofus. Below I attempt to list and detail a list of the most common scams (or scam-like deals) that are currently being bandied around in Dofus.

INTRODUCTION TO SCAMMERS AND HOW TO DEAL WITH THEM:

Every online game has its scammers and its thieves. Learning to recognize and deal with them is part of every new players' training. If you find someone who is trying to pull off one of the scams below, please follow these directions:

1. Type /whois scammername

2. Take a

3. Host that screenshot on
or
(or the image host of your choice).

4. Include that link in a

Optional:
If you have screenshot proof that fits the
, you can also post that proof in this forum (but please, make your own thread, don't use this one. Thanks!).

As far as the scammers themselves go, we recommend that you only engage with them until you have suitable proof to give to support. Otherwise, it's suggested that you not go out of your way to harass them, as such harassment can result in your banning from the game.

In-Game Scams (Scams that take your kamas and your items)

NOTE: Sometimes people are completely honest when offering one of the below "deals". However, there is no way to filter the scammers from those players that are legit. If you ever did one of the below trades without a problem - I am happy for you. However I take a "zero sum" approach to the below deals and encourage everyone else to do the same.

-=The Philanthropy Scam and Other "HA-ha! Made You Click Accept!" Scams=-

Sometimes you'll start to make a deal with someone, agree to give them money for an item, and suddenly, they'll start filling up the trade box with a bunch of lower level items, making the box scroll. They say, "Take theses items too, I don't need them." What you don't realize is that they've taken away the item that you originally paid for, leaving you with a bunch of less-expensive items while they take your money.

Sometimes, players will also use items that *look* like other items to switch out at the last second. Usually, this happens with scrolls - some of them have icons that look similar to each other. Always check the item by clicking on it before you click "Accept." And if the button greys out for any reason, ALWAYS check before you click again.

Conclusion: Always make sure that you see the item that you want to buy in the box before you click "Accept."

-=Selling Guilds=-

Fairly often you will see people trying to sell an entire guild (of which they are, in theory, a leader). Not only is this highly unethical to the people still in the guild and you are being stuck with the chosen guild name, but this deal has a high chance of being a scam since there's no way for you to insure that the seller will keep his end of the bargain. Ankama will not help you if you lose money trying to buy a guild and no amount of in-game harassment or posts on Dofus forums will get you your money back.

Conclusion: Unless you have known the person for a substantial amount of time, don't even consider buying already-made guilds from other players.

-=Selling a House=-

Sometimes you'll find people claiming to sell their house. They might want a sum of money, or they might ask for items. They may tell you that they'll page you the code when you give them the cash. They may claim to be your friend. They are lying. The only way to properly buy any house it to click on the front door and select "Buy" from the menu. If you can not select this option, the house is not for sale. Be very careful, these scammers are known to take names smiliar to the names of the real house owners, hoping to trap the unwary.

Conclusion: The house buying menus are there for your protection. Use them!

-="Trust me, I'm a Level 100 Crafter."=-

This "deal" tends to wax and wane from time to time and is definitely represents a gray area. The setup is quite simple. After a player advertises a need for a high-level item to be crafted, he or she is approached by someone promising that they are a level 100 crafter in that category and promising to do the job. However as soon as the materials are handed over the would-be crafter disappears.

Conclusion: Now that the collaborative crafting interface and professional runes exist, this scam should have died out... sadly, it hasn't yet. Always use the in-game tools to make sure that you're dealing with the right person before handing over your items (and don't forget the ladder to check professions as well). If they refuse to use the interface or be listed in the book don't give them your items.

-=Trading Dofus Items for Items From Another Game=-

There is lots of gray area here, both ethical and "legal". Regardless to say, since you have no way of insuring that the trade goes through on both sides of the table, I recommend you stay away from these "offers". You can try the half-and-half approach, but there's nothing stopping the other guy from taking your half and logging off. Sure, he might not have gotten everything, but he got something and left you the sucker.

Conclusion: Unless you would trust the other person with your real-world possessions, don't agree to these kinds of trade.

Out-Of-Game Scams (Scams that could put your real money at risk)

-=Dofus Cheats=-

There's a new website out there the claims to have a kama hack for Dofus. In fact, there's even a handy, dandy little form that you can fill out that will hack your account for you! All you need to do is provide your user name and account password..... Unfortunately, it sends your information, not to Dofus, but to a hidden guestbook for the website owner to collect later.

Conclusion: Websites like these are always frauds. There are no Dofus cheats, and anyone who tells you differently is trying to steal your account.

-=Dofus Account Hacking=-

Similarly, there's an old Runescape hack that says "I got the secret e-mail account that lets you hack other people's accounts. Just send an e-mail to it with your account name, your password, and the player name you want to take control of" (embelished with all sorts of bizarre %=xx^^ signs to make it look code-y), and it's been making the Dofus rounds now, with very little changed. The e-mail address, of course, is that of the scammer, not a secret password-distribution address, and all you'll be doing is giving him control of your account.

Conclusion: Like the similar website scam immediately above, this is an account-stealing fraud.

-=Selling P2P Accounts=-

Beware a scam whenever someone is offering to sell an existing p2p account or offering to "upgrade" your account to p2p. Even if a person gives you the correct log-in information for a p2p account, it's extremely easy for them to get their password back (after you change it) using the "forgot password" feature. As such, they will have the money you paid and the account back in no time. In order for your account to be "upgraded" to p2p, that person will need your login and password to access your account. Not only are you paying money upfront (or even half and half) without any guarantee of a return in both cases but in the latter case you have the opportunity of having your OWN account stolen.

Conclusion: Unless a person is your real world friend, do not purchase existing Dofus accounts nor have anyone "upgrade" your account to p2p.

Wish's 2 Cents: Having someone else's credit card information on your account can be a red flag for support. Even your parents can easily yank back payments, which will probably result in a banning for your account. Be especially aware of these issues when dealing with support or any kind of subscription payments. It's my suggestion that you do your very best to pay for your own account as much as possible.

-=DofusTools=-

Our illustrious script kiddeh is back on the prowl with a new page featuring the GhostMouse.exe Trojan Horse Virus. Make no mistake, this executable (which contains a keylogger and a backdoor) will help him steal your account instead of letting you "quickly and easily" make tons of kama. No such thing as a free lunch, remember?

Conclusion: If it sounds too good to be true, ("I made 330kk last night!") it probably is.

-=Look-ALike Websites (aka Phisher sites)=-

Recently, there have been a few ankama-games.com "look-alike" websites that have sprung up. These sites look almost identical to the official Ankama Games website, but logging in to these sites gives your password to a scammer. These websites often lure you in by offering free "upgrades" to full member status or with stern email warning message about someone trying to access your account to agitate you into logging on to the site without looking twice. For maximum security, keep your own bookmark of http://ankama-games.com on your computer and use that to log in to the Ankama Games website. Always be aware of what's in your address bar.

Conclusion: Don't forget that there's no such thing as a free lunch. Never enter your login name and password on a site that isn't official: even if it LOOKS official. If you get a scary email from Ankama, don't panic and keep your eyes open. If in doubt, you can always ask the friendly community here, someone will help you figure out if it's legit.

NOTICE: These sites are especially prevelant right now because of the impending Wakfu beta. When the Wakfu beta is announced, it will be all over the official sites, not hidden away on some random freeware site, so make sure you check www.wakfu.com before putting in your information.

-=Fan Websites=-

When a game like Dofus becomes popular, there are usually people who open up forums and other websites about the game for their fellow players. Some of these websites are benign and helpful, but sometimes, unscrupulous people use the trust of the community to cause havoc while pretending to help. If any fan website ever asks you to give them a screen name and a password, make sure that you do not use the same login and password as your Dofus account. Also, make sure that you don't use the same password as your email address - someone who has control of your email address could pretend to be you and gain your information in that fashion.

Conculsion: Practice good internet security, never use your Dofus login name or password on any fan website.

-="Trust Me, I'm a Moderator"=-

Some players have recently tried to imitate moderators or GMs to trick players into giving them their login names, sometimes even under the guise of helping players get back items that they have lost to one of the scams above. If anyone ever messages you claiming to be a moderator, a GM, or a member of the Ankama Support team, type /whois character name. Members of the admin staff, game masters, and modos will have a tag in their /whois information telling you who they are. You can also request that they send you a red message to prove that they are an official moderator. Members of the official moderation team and the developers of Ankama will never ask for your password. They don't need your password to check up on your account.

If anyone who claims to be a moderator or a staff member asks for your password, take a screenshot and send it to support.

Conclusion: Never give your login away to anyone, even a moderator.

-=Honorable Mentions=-

I. "Please give me #kama to access the bank!"

If the player has kamas in their bank but none in their inventory, the game will allow them to access the bank, deducting the fee from the kamas in the bank. Unless they're bringing the kamas on an alt (in which case, why are they begging?) they won't give you back the money once they access the bank, because the fact that they can't access it means they don't have kamas in there. Some players may be unaware of this fact, so people who are asking may not be consciously attempting to scam. Be wary of amounts that seem a bit "too" high (in my opinion, anything 50kama and more) or people asking for "vault money" far away from banks.

II. "I just got hacked and have nothing!"

Times were the community would come together to help the less fortunate amongst us. This phrase, however, has seen an incredible share of abuse in Dofus and other games. If someone you don't know proclaims to have been hacked you are welcome to offer your condolences and maybe a starting item or two - but that's it.

III. "I'm a girl!" or "Wanna cyber?

I am aware that women play online games and many do so very well. A small segment of them, however, likes to exploit the "I'm a girl on the internet" status in trying to score free items. Worse, some men like making female avatars for the express purpose of "flirting" and begging for items. The (thankfully small) trend of female avatars (note, not women... just female avatars) offering cybersex around Zaaps is even more disturbing and degrading to real female players. You are free to ignore any advances made by female avatars unless you yourself feel like giving something away.

IV. "I'll give it back tomorrow!"

Lending is a tricky business in real life and on Dofus. The general rule of lending is - if you ever want to see it again, don't lend it. If you couldn't bear to give that item away, don't lend it to your friends. It can be difficult to get your items back, even from friends that are trustworthy and reliable. Their computer could get stolen, a downed powerline could black out internet access for days, a natural distaster could happen... These things aren't likely, but they are possible, and if they happen, or if the person you lent to refuses to return your gear, Ankama will not help you get the item back, it'll be gone forever. This doesn't mean that you can't be a nice person and lend things out, but be aware of the risks.

-=Common Trends Among Scams=-

The landscape of scams in-game is always evolving and it's all anyone can do to keep on top of how someone might bamboozle you today. With this in mind I have taken attempted to compile the mains avenues of social engineering that scammers use to ply their trade.

--Greed--

The number one and leader among scam-related "fatalities"! A player sees an item offered at an incredible price and immediately decides to make the purchase. In their haste (or, in some cases, with the promise of great returns looming) people can be cajoled into making some unwise decisions. Everyone - young or old - is susceptible to this and this regrettable human trait has been often used by scammers.

Conclusion: The only advice to offer comes in the form of old proverbs such as: "Look before you leap" or the above-mentioned "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

--Limited Time Offer!--

If you think Greed is bad enough, when it's combined by pressure from the scammer to make a snap judgment, the victim is in an even more difficult spot. Most of us know the feeling of kicking ourselves after missing a great offer or opportunity. A person who sees an interesting yet "strange" deal is that much more likely to go through with it when they know they won't have the same opportunity for long. Some common signs to watch out for include: the seller says he has to log off soon and "doesn't know when he'll be back", the seller has "other people" bidding on the same item, or the seller ridicules you for taking so long to make up your mind.

Conclusion: Advice in these situations usually begins with "If you ever feel pressured during the deal...", however I find that few people may recognize that they are being "pressured". Use the above-listed "traits" as an initial guideline to see if something might be amiss. Finally, remember, no matter how great a deal sounds, you are better safe then sorry. So yes, pass up that Loyalty Gift Minimino for only 40kk that someone's offering you in the five minutes they have before going to bed because chances are it's a Ghast.

--Trust--

Most of us will never get into a car with a complete stranger or allow someone we don't know to carry our things for us. Regrettably, many people seem to let their guard down when they go online. To save you, the reader, from a long rant, I will merely say this: "Take nothing for granted." That person saying they are a girl or a 30 year old financial analyst? You should "go along" with the idea and be polite - but if the two of you become friendlier and start getting to know each other, politely ask for proof. On face value this may sound offensive, however it all depends on how you choose to phrase your request. There is a world of difference between (for example): "Hey, would you like to exchange pictures" and "You are a girl?! No wai! Pix ploz!"

Conclusion: The internet makes many statements and claims by individuals hard to verify. Even a picture exchange may not tell you the whole truth about the other person. Since this is only an "introductory" guide, the ramifications of "truth" and "verifying truth" on the internet are beyond the scope of this article. The general advice I can offer anyone online should be summed up thusly: "Be polite and accept what people tell you, however if you need to make any decision that would effect you based on personal information provided by other people, go out of your way to verify said information first."

A list of scams in any online game is ever growing and evolving. Please use this thread to comment on the variations of the above "deals" you have seen in Dofus or post any additional "deals" you have seen while playing.

Please do NOT use this thread to:

1) Post names of scammers. We have a whole forum for just that purpose. Please also make sure that you report them to

2) Lament how you have been scammed. Unless there's something new in your regrettable experience that would add to the above list, there's nothing we can do.

3) Become angry and say how you have had (or have been offering) good or honest deals in selling guilds/p2p accounts/whatever. As I've mentioned in the beginning, I take a "zero sum" approach to these "deals" and encourage others to do the same.

Cheers everyone and happy leveling!

1 person likes this

Great work on putting all this back together, Wish. Kudos to you.

Holy crap, excellent work, Wish! This is a fantastic guide :D

lemme give u a cookie.. steal the milk from your cat for this cookie.. :)

More cookies for Wish! And a quick edit as well. If the player has kamas in their bank but none in their inventory, the game will allow them to access the bank, deducting the fee from the kamas in the bank. Unless they're bringing the kamas on an alt (in which case, why are they begging?) they won't give you back the money once they access the bank, because the fact that they can't access it means they don't have kamas in there.

I never knew that. :mellow:

I just had one the other day, A character in Shika I think the name was Todki or something of the sort told me congrats on being nominated as a moderator on the official forums. The rest of the conversation went like this:

- Todki: Congrats on being nominated to become a moderator

- Me: Huh? For what?

- Todki: A moderator on the official dofus forums

- Me: No I have not been there for a while

- Todki: You want the URL?

- Todki: www.dofus-forums.uk.tp

(At this point I bring up the URL and it redirects to www.freewed.com....it brings up a ankama screen with a user name and password screen and I know it is a scam, besides it not rendering correctly in IE, so I din't even bother replying)

2-5 min pass

- Todki: Did you see your name

- Me: Yes

- Todki: I heard Moderators get Kamas keep me in mind :angry:

- Me: ok

That pretty much was it but I didn't screen it or anything I was just running around doing my normal activities and didn't want to waste time trying to report him. So just keep your eye out and never enter your user name and password unless you know that is is legit.

I just had one the other day, A character in Shika I think the name was Todki or something of the sort told me congrats on being nominated as a moderator on the official forums. The rest of the conversation went like this:

- Todki: Congrats on being nominated to become a moderator

- Me: Huh? For what?

- Todki: A moderator on the official dofus forums

- Me: No I have not been there for a while

- Todki: You want the URL?

- Todki: www.dofus-forums.uk.tp

(At this point I bring up the URL and it redirects to www.freewed.com....it brings up a ankama screen with a user name and password screen and I know it is a scam, besides it not rendering correctly in IE, so I din't even bother replying)

2-5 min pass

- Todki: Did you see your name

- Me: Yes

- Todki: I heard Moderators get Kamas keep me in mind :angry:

- Me: ok

That pretty much was it but I didn't screen it or anything I was just running around doing my normal activities and didn't want to waste time trying to report him. So just keep your eye out and never enter your user name and password unless you know that is is legit.

This one has been reported in the topics below already, and it's a standard phishing scam with a splash of mod impersonation. How far off base is this scam? Let me count the ways: moderators only use the official forums, the admin of Dofus are the only ones who can change an account into a moderator account, and they've already got your information - they change your account into a mod account without any "activation" required on your end. (Oh yeah, and the mod "salary" is 0 kamas a day. That adds up to a whopping 0 kamas a month! And a good moderator can make up to 0 kamas a year!! Wow!) :lol:

It seems like whoever is running this scam is already catching wind that their methods are being debunked and are trying to switch the phish to something less suspicious, so just make sure you use official links instead of anything ending in .tk. >_<

So again, always /whois anyone who claims to represent someone from Ankama. Keep a bookmark for the official sites in your toolbar. And always keep your information far, far away from any site that is not official.

-Wish

That happened to me once on shika also :lol:

I'm sure that this scam is as old as time and it's hard to believe (it's kinda' like those haha made you click type scams), but hey, it works...on some =.= and I didn't feel like making a topic about just one scam that I passed up.

I was in Rosal just testing my damage and a Brak Iop lvl 12X+ (could tell by his equipment and his Aura) runs up to me and begs me to buy him some stuff from the Bonta Markets.

short version:

Iop- I need an (insert item name here) from the bonta market can you buy it for me please? I'll pay you back.

Me- Why don't you buy it? >.>

Iop- I'm a brak.

Me- So make a character and buy it using him/her

Iop- I can't because all my character slots are full

Me- So use an alt

Iop- They're on different servers and I value them too much

The rest of the conversation was a back and forth of me asking why HE couldn't buy the stuff amd him telling me how he's weak, he has no friends, blah blah blah

Ok, so the way this scam works (In my opinion) is that the person sells an item for however much, asks you to buy it, so that way you are actually buying an item (that you may never use) for what could be more than it's actually worthe...

Point is (I know ... finally an end to this rant) if some brakmarian any lvl is asking you to buy stuff for him/her and you never met the person in your life, either get the money up front or just say "no" >.>

P.S.

This works on the few rare people who genuinly trustothers and want to help the man (or woman) next to them out of the goodness of their hearts so don't give me any of that "this is a faulty scam" BS.

Edited by Ryuto

About crafting: if someone tells you they are a level 100 crafter, they should have 9 slots available in the crafting window (8 possible ingredients and a signature rune).

I have a question concerning the different guidelines ( reportable bannable ) from the uk forum and the usa forum.

UK forum: deals with scammers ( reportable /bannable) Here you can see you can report to modo

On the USA forums is it not reportable or bannable.faq

Strangely enough! If you click on the english FAQ thread you get redirected to the American FAQ where it was stated it was not reportable anymore.

Doesn't Ankama have one clear guideline for these issues or is it up to the mods per each server?

So even the English forum on it's own is not clear on what is reportable or bannable. because : Yes ,you can report to an in game modo but in their own faq ( to which they re-direct) it is not.

Edited by Radile

I have a question concerning the different guidelines ( reportable bannable ) from the uk forum and the usa forum.

UK forum: deals with scammers ( reportable /bannable) Here you can see you can report to modo

On the USA forums is it not reportable or bannable.faq

Strangely enough! If you click on the english FAQ thread you get redirected to the American FAQ where it was stated it was not reportable anymore.

Doesn't Ankama have one clear guideline for these issues or is it up to the mods per each server?

So even the English forum on it's own is not clear on what is reportable or bannable. because : Yes ,you can report to an in game modo but in their own faq ( to which they re-direct) it is not.

Imps is not part of the official forums. You would be better served making a thread there.

Imps is not part of the official forums. You would be better served making a thread there.

I asked here because on the forum there was a referral to the Imp Square. I also wanted to hear from others, if they also noted this disambiguation in rule enforcement.

Edited by Radile

Wonderful breakdown of what lurks behind the zaaps and buildings. ^^

really good break down of what to look out for and avoid! Thank you!

>>

<<

Hey, Wish, I'll sell you this book on "Scammers and How They Tick". Only 50kk.

Great guide though, for some reason the cybersex scam makes me giggle.

"I'll stand on you and repetedly click the 'Sit' button if you give me 20kk."

>>

<<

Hey, Wish, I'll sell you this book on "Scammers and How They Tick". Only 50kk.

Great guide though, for some reason the cybersex scam makes me giggle.

"I'll stand on you and repetedly click the 'Sit' button if you give me 20kk."

Technically this is not a scam. If someone tells you "Give me 20kk and I will stand on you and click sit button for x amount of minutes" and you say OK! and give them 20kk and they DO it....then you paid for services rendered....no matter how wierd :rolleyes:

One of my real life friends (well... friend of a friend that i have to put up with) likes being an eni entirely so she can get free money out of people by typing mmm and yeaaaah. Cybersex is weird.

What would be more weird is someone multi-clienting to cyber with themselves.....

What would be more weird is someone multi-clienting to cyber with themselves.....

:lol: why is that weird? I try and do it atleast once a night... I love myself... im Great... Hey Tat wanna go Cyber its only 50kk per min...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great guide. [: Learned a lot~

I Lol´d.

Anyway awesumn guide :)

Great guide, Wish :)

you should check 5.7 in rushu sometimes. someone there cybers with his alts its pretty vile.>_>