• Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kyek

How to use this forum

Hi everyone!

The old "Scammer Watchlist" thread in the Town Square forum just wasn't cutting it anymore. It was impossible to follow, hard to browse for names, and even more difficult to discuss in. And so, this forum was born.

We're going to try to keep this forum as organized and uniform as possible. That way it'll be easy for others to look up certain players and be informed of the scam tactics they're using.

You should post in this forum if:

• You encounter someone trying to trick you or anyone else into giving out passwords either in game or through a website.
  • Someone tries to cheat you by manipulating the trade window.
  • A crafter uses dishonesty to coerce you or another to give up items and/or kamas, and takes advantage of you.
  • Someone is outrightly breaking an in-game rule to take advantage of you.

You should not post in this forum if:

• You gave your password out to a (girl/boy)friend, had a fight, and they cleared out your stuff. This is not called getting scammed, this is called getting shafted. We're only interested in listing people here who are obviously interested in scamming anyone without it being personal.
  • You have no proof of your claims. Every post here must be PROVEN either by witnesses or screenshots, or the post may be deleted.
  • You don't protect your username and password. Let's face it, if you don't protect this information, tons of people who aren't even inclined to scamming will take advantage of you. If you give out your password, it is no one's fault but yours.
  • You didn't submit a ticket about the scammer to Ankama Games. Posting here is nice, but scammers can't be taken care of unless the official Dofus team knows about it.

If you've found someone who needs posted here, please use this format. Repeated failure to use this format will result in a warning:
Topic Title: Player name and Server. Account name too, if you know it.

Topic Description: Description of the kind of scam. Examples: Poses as GM, Asks for password, Changes trade item, etc.

Message: Your message must be well-written so that everyone can understand it and benefit from your post. Please refrain from using txt tlk. Type out your words and use punctuation so everyone can read it without guessing at what you mean. Incomprehensible scam reports may be deleted. The following items MUST APPEAR IN YOUR REPORT:

• A description of the player (Class, estimated level, name(s), etc)
  • A description of what the player did
  • Optional: How you handled the situation, and how the scammer reacted
  • Irrefutable proof of your claims. This may include screenshots, posts from witnesses, etc. If you cannot sufficiently prove your claims, your thread will most likely be deleted. This is not your opportunity to trash someone's name just because you don't like them.

Once you post, your thread will be marked as invisible so that only the mods can see it. The mods will monitor this forum as often as possible and set threads that follow the rules to "visible" so the whole world can see it. If it doesn't follow the rules, the thread will either be deleted, or we'll message you a suggestion about how to fix it.

Thanks for reading! This will be a heavily modded area, so please follow these instructions as closely as possible. Also note that the mods reserve the right to edit post titles here to keep the scammer database uniform and easily searched.

Kyek

Figured you might want to mention that if a screen shot is used as proof, according to Echt (as shown below) You have to have a /whois of the player in the same screen else Ankama supposedly cannot take action...

21mugdl.jpg

I guess this is because someone could make a charactered of a players name on a different server, and one of there own, then setup a conversation between themselves effectively framing someone for a scam.

If this has already been mentioned somewhere, or just shouldn't have been posted here, just delete this post, as I was unsure where to put this but noticed many screen shots used here as 'proof' without a /whois of the player.

Updated! The big blue section is new. All threads will have to be approved before going public for the whole forum to see. If you're wondering why, check out the official announcement: http://www.impsvillage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39620

Irrefutable proof of your claims.....This may include screenshots, posts from witnesses, etc. .... Once you post, your thread will be marked as invisible so that only you and the mods can see it.

I like this idea BUT how are we supposed to use witnesses as evidence against the scammer if the "witnesses" can't see the topic to post?

Edited by BaNDiT-

add in your post witnesses will post later?

add in your post witnesses will post later?

Yep :D Generally we can tell by the context of your post if a witness will be able to confirm it with proof or if you're a young kid who just got his first lesson in being betrayed by a friend. Just mention witnesses will bring proof forward (or have them make the original post) and you're clear!

I have a question. Can we use this forum to report people selling their accounts on eBay? That's certainly against the game rules, and it's good for the community to know that, say, a formerly trusted crafter is now some random eBay shopper.

Hello,

I have a question. I created a thread about Pandemoniums-member Teufelchen (whose account either was sold or hacked, according to Concilium Germanium leader Mhonia, where Teufelchen was earlier) trying the old "Buy your Dragoone 1.2 Million" trick on me, where he only put some Eni powder in the exchange-window, hoping I wouls click accept, therefore scamming me. I added a link to a picture where I screenshotted the conversation and his account name.

This was three days ago. I read that this is a "heavily moderated forum" and therefore wanted to ask if my topic somehow got lost or if something was wrong with it - in which case I'd expect a notification at least. >_>

It is heavily moderated, as in we won't accept threads with inadequate proof. Your thread hadn't been approved yet- the best course of action would be to PM a mod or admin about it when such a thing occurs. We are all people with lives and other things to moderate here- sometimes we forget that we have to manually open this section to see the new threads. :)

It is heavily moderated, as in we won't accept threads with inadequate proof. Your thread hadn't been approved yet- the best course of action would be to PM a mod or admin about it when such a thing occurs. We are all people with lives and other things to moderate here- sometimes we forget that we have to manually open this section to see the new threads. <_<

Actually - you accept many threads purely on the basis of screen-shots which have not been taken properly.

Here is a perfect example:

http://www.impsvillage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59388

This screen shot lacks a /whois of the player in question, and there fore is not proof of anything.

The majority of threads on this forum are like this, it's really quite terrible. I tried explaining the importance of a /whois in screen-shot to a moderator previously - but they didn't understand, although I would think it was quite clear.

Here is an example of why using screen-shots without /whois is severely flawed.

The first screen shot below displays Azaelya as a 'scammer' but lacks a /whois, without the /whois this could be a Azaelya from any of Rushus servers, however people on this forum would take it as the Azaelya whichever server the OP stated they were from.

azelyascam.jpg

The second screen-shot displays the effect of a /whois. In this case it makes it quite clear that the Azaelya in question clearly isn't your character from Rushu, something which was clear before.

azelyascammer2.jpg

Therefore the first screen-shot, like many which are being used as evidence on this forum. Is invalid, worthless data and SHOULD NOT be allowed to be used as evidence in any part of these forums, it's as valid as saying 'Azaelya is a scammer' in pure text.

Sorry about using you for the 'screenshoted' examples Azaelya. Needed an example other than myself, and since I was quoting your post.

I hope that now the moderators of these forums can begin to understand the degree of negligence your exhibiting by allowing screen-shots to be post as evidence of conviction when they are clearly 'invalid' as I have explained.

Edited by Leucitanious

Thanks for your post, Leucitanious. It's obviously something you're concerned about as I see you've mentioned it before:

I spent a long time trying to explain to quivitar a long time ago that any screen without /whois isn't really valid proof. Somehow he didn't understand. Regardless, ankama won't accept any screenshots without a /whois and /time shown also.

All the /whois does basicaly is proves which server that characters on, otherwise you could have taken that server on shika inorder to frame a player named jkkti on Rushu, or vica versa.

I'm sorry you're having to repeat yourself to get your message across. Hopefully I can address some of your concerns here.

It's very rare for the first post a person makes in Scammer Registry to meet the requirements for approval.

A lot of posts contain a detailed explanation of a scam, but with no screenshots at all, or are simply a sentence saying "so-and-so scammed me. They are a scammer". We can't approve something like that without speaking to the OP first, so we'll pm them for more information.

Most of the time the OP replies, and if they have a screenshot then it's of a conversation or trade with sufficient detail to support their claim, but there's no "/whois" screenshot. Again, the OP will be asked if they have a screenshot containing this information.

Quite often, the person being "scammed" doesn't immediately think "I must do a /whois", or if they do, the "scammer" has already logged off, so there might be a legitimate reason for them not being able to provide one.

If the OP is able to provide "/whois" information then so much the better. If they haven't got it, it doesn't mean the post isn't going to be approved. The mods will have a conversation about the post and ultimately a judgement call will have to be made.

If we feel there's enough evidence to show a scam happening, even without a "/whois" screenshot, then the post will be approved. We'd hope the other information presented in the thread should be obvious enough to anyone reading the post to mean that it isn't a problem.

Of course we appreciate the point you're making. Yes, it is possible for people to create screenshots like the one you've posted above, in an attempt to discredit an innocent person, but I'd like to think that the mods here are capable of spotting something like that, as are the members of imps village that read the resulting topic, if it was approved. I can't speak for the topic that you link to because I wasn't involved in its approval. I'd like to think that whoever did approve it went through the process I detail above and made the appropriate judgement call.

You talk about evidence of conviction and us displaying negligence and I have to take issue with that. We aren't Ankama. We aren't convicting people of anything. We're providing a service to the imps village community. By approving the post, we're making an assumption (part based on trust, part based on judgement) that the information provided by the OP is correct. We're then presenting that information to the imps village community to process as they want. The reader is the person doing the conviction, if they choose to see that information as sufficent evidence of a scam. Either they choose to believe the thread, or they can ignore it.

I'd like to draw your attention to the thread Slagster created here about Pargon.

You'll see that Slagster's first post contained no pictures at all, no "/whois" information, no information other than anecdotal "evidence". Yet this post was approved by a mod, even though it didn't meet the "rules". The thread built up as more people posted. There were a few screenshots of conversations, and eventually, when requested, a "/whois" screenshot, but a lot of the other "evidence" in that thread was also anecdotal. Yet you made the following comment in the thread:

The player 'pargon' is now practically outcast in the Dofus community and rightly so I say.

Would you have made this comment if the "/whois" information hadn't been there on the screenshots in the thread? How important was it for you that the account name was shown before you decided it was right for Pargon to be "outcast"?

It would be fantastic for every screenshot included with every post in scammer's registry to include a "/whois", but sadly this isn't an ideal world and it just doesn't happen. I don't think it's quite as terrible as you claim, and I hope I have shown why it isn't negligent on the part of the mods.

We try our best to ensure that the topics that are approved in scammer's registry are legitimate and contain enough information to allow members to make an informed decision.

Should you have any more concerns with the actions of the imps village moderators, please speak to us directly.

I know what you mean, but there are also other threads where a 'invalid' screen-shot has definitely been enough to sway the 'verdict' of many of the topics readers.

And there are many flaws with the example you have provided when relating to the one I have.

For example Slag is a very respectable person of the community, whereas the OP from the example I provided only has 16 posts, he also doesn't state anything about any other evidence (eg testimony's of other users) will be posted later.

Wherefore in the examples compared the 'lack of /whois' in screen-shot is far from the only variable. In the case of Paragon there were testimony's from other users and even people who at least claimed to know him in real life, and I'm sure Slag stated that other people would post there evidence in due course.

However with the example I provided the scam was 'peer to peer' it is very unlikely he would be able to get the testimony's of other users and I also very much doubt he stated he had more evidence when creating thread... as he certainly didn't state so in his post.

I understand that people can be convicted without screen-shot evidence, totally. But I also believe that no screen-shoted evidence can be taken into consideration authenticity is unconfirmed.

And I do actually believe the OP of this topic states that you have to have the intention to report them to Ankama with valid evidence to post a topic here. Ankama will not take screen-shots as evidence which are lacking a /whois of the culprit wherefore such action remains futile...

However, I also believe that this could be fixed rather easily. I should imagine the people posting here read 'Kyeks Rules' for this forum. If the OP of this thread was to mention the importance of these factors and explain how to incorporate them into a screen-shot then they would in future remember to do so. It isn't something that's particularly hard to do.

Is there a thread on these forums explaining how to take proper 'Dofus' screen-shots ? If not, perhaps I or someone else should create one, and pin it.

Anyways, bottom line is.

Some of these threads appear to be using screen-shots as there only forms of evidence, and the users of impsvillage are willing to convict people on this basis alone.

I understand other forms of evidence can be used for conviction, but as you know, all circumstantial evidence is resputable therefore unless in large amounts is rarely going to be enough to convict anyone fairly.

The example you gave was one of the few where the community has pulled together to provide evidence against a suspect in order to obtain a conviction, but there are many others using 'invalid' screen-shots without the supporting evidence for them.

(although being a flash game it's easily possible to create your own screen-shots totally from scratch with a full /whois and all the required information to the exact cell, but going over to something completely different)

Edit: Your quote is irrelevant, I didn't state what my opinion was based on. Actually my opinion was reflecting on the first hand encounters I've had with Pargon in game, and you are foolish to assume otherwise.

Edited by Leucitanious

I should imagine the people posting here read 'Kyeks Rules' for this forum.

A lovely thought, but no, no they don't. They really don't. People don't read anything more than once, if that. The April Fool's thread is a massive case in point. The people that provide all the information requested by Kyek in the first post in this topic are in the vast minority. This is part of the problem we have. People want to post about a scammer, and we have to bounce back and forth asking for more information that the OP hasn't got. This can take several days and leads to frustration on both sides. That's why there's compromise, and why I mentioned people making judgement calls.

If the OP of this thread was to mention the importance of these factors and explain how to incorporate them into a screen-shot then they would in future remember to do so. It isn't something that's particularly hard to do.

Kyek has stressed the importance of these factors. That's why this "How to use this forum" thread is stickied and the relevant instructions are marked in bold text - but again, this is more about people not reading the rules. It doesn't matter how many times we stress something, people will still post not having read the instructions.

Is there a thread on these forums explaining how to take proper 'Dofus' screen-shots ? If not, perhaps I or someone else should create one, and pin it.

Yes, it's here.

Edit: Your quote is irrelevant, I didn't state what my opinion was based on. Actually my opinion was reflecting on the first hand encounters I've had with Pargon in game, and you are foolish to assume otherwise.

No, I'm not being foolish, and the quote is not irrelevant. It highlights perfectly the point I was making. People reading a scammer topic aren't interested in seeing a "/whois" to help them make a decision. Often they've had experience of the scammer in the past, so the topic is just confirming their suspicions. They will post as such, adding weight to the OP's claim.

A topic here might ultimately result in a ticket being sent to Ankama, but sometimes the OP doesn't have all the information and is simply wanting to warn people about someone or allow other people to post their experiences as well (as was the case with Pargon). Not everyone that posts here is interested in sending a ticket to Ankama (either through previous experience, or just apathy). They can just be saying "I had this experience, you guys need to be careful of this person".

You're quite right in that the more well known a player is, the more likely people are to believe what they are saying, and of course that is likely to influence a mod's decision to approve their post or not as well, but that doesn't mean a person with 16 posts has any less right to be taken seriously. If they have managed to get a topic approved when perhaps it shouldn't have been, then there are members of the imps community who are capable of seeing that for themselves, as appears to be the case with the topic you keep bringing up - in which case it works against the OP as it reflects badly on them.

In summary, the more information provided with a claim, the better for everyone. If the ultimate goal of the OP is to collate information to be used in a ticket to be sent to Ankama, then yes, they will need a screenshot with a "/whois" on it. Not having one doesn't mean their post isn't valid on imps village.

A post here acts as a warning for the members of imps village. It is not a signal for Ankama to ban the alleged "scammer".

Edit for grammar nazis: yes, that is a triple negative back there :P

http://www.impsvillage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49934

http://www.impsvillage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37086

http://www.impsvillage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=43647

http://www.impsvillage.com/forums/index.ph...;hl=fatalkiller

http://www.impsvillage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=36658

http://www.impsvillage.com/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry455232

Now, I'm not calling these people liars, in fact one of the topics listed is one of my friends. However the accusations they have made are all unfounded due to invalid screen shots, and the fact that there is no other evidence listed in the topic.

Negligence? I think so.

And I do realize that these topics are not an indication to ankama, however as many of the users of this forum are devoid of there own opinions, they will follow blindly any topic posted in the 'scammer' registry, with or without proof. And judging by some of the posts of users of impsvillage, you too must realize this.

Therefore it is your responsibility to ensure that unfounded accusations are not hosted here on impsvillage, and I believe that is something you have stated that you ensure 'doesn't happen' with the moderation system used. However if you just take a look in the links I've provided - it clearly does.

Also Jiri, don't pm me claiming said topic is locked when it blatantly isn't.

Edited by Leucitanious

Oh ._. Right, didn't read this before I made a post :X Anyway I can modify that post ? XD cause its invisible

hows long it take to have your topic posted.....

What if somebody was going around asking to buy accounts,

Could I post evidence of that on the scammer forums if not which should I put it in?

you could just report them to a mod on official forums

What if somebody was going around asking to buy accounts,

Could I post evidence of that on the scammer forums if not which should I put it in?

How is buying an account illegal activity, the only one who I could see getting harmed from this is the person who buys the account.

How is buying an account illegal activity, the only one who I could see getting harmed from this is the person who buys the account.

I believe it's against the ToS. Which is why we don't allow it on the forums.

And in regards to the question, it's not really registry material. Best thing to do, as somebody mentioned, is just to report it to Ankama.

I believe it's against the ToS. Which is why we don't allow it on the forums.

And in regards to the question, it's not really registry material. Best thing to do, as somebody mentioned, is just to report it to Ankama.

Ok. thanks for clearing that up for me. tbh I don't think i'll send a ticket out probably won't take any actions on it haha :lol:

Hi, I have recently had an account cleaned out on aermyne. It's my eni named nyalmo lvl 200. I have never shared account info and have a screen shot showing the IP of the person accessing it. It happened between last night and this afternoon. I cannot figure out how to submit a ticket on the ankama website and was hoping that one of you guys could point me in the proper direction. If there are other things I can do, please let me know...This is why I never shared my accounts. I have a feeling that it's related to the db intrusion and the fact that I forgot when I changed my password that it was changed to an old account that I no longer play. So I figure they're trying all passwords vs all acount names and got a hit. Otherwise I'm at a loss as to how it happens b/c I'm not aware of any ubuntu based dofus keyloggers and I've only ever put my credentials directly into the dofus website never following an email link. Sorry to bug you guys I know your busy, thanks, Joe

Hi there

I dont often post here, as im normally kept busy on the official site however, this ticket should be..well er the ticket ^^

It says "i could not change my password" as ive already answered the other shall we say less helpful questions it asks, and now you are are a point where you can fill out a form, depending if you correctly/incorrectly filled out your original details..

Themis

Edit for Extra bits!

Edited by Themis