• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
  • Announcements

• Rob

Merry IMPSMAS 2017!   12/07/17

There's 35mk up for grabs this year along with an Atanip hat & cape! 'Click Here' for your chance to win.  Yule regret missing out.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kyek

Donations to Imps Village

202 posts in this topic

Introduction. Read this or you suck.

I've had many requests recently to open up a method of donating to Imps. These people understood the sheer amount of money I've been paying to keep this place going, and were prepared to donate to help cover my time and expenses here. As an added benefit, their donations are also helping with site upgrades. Please read this entire post if you're thinking about donating, so that you know exactly what donating means before you do it. Thanks :D

What are Imps Village's expenses?

To run Imps Village, I pay for a domain name, a webserver host on the internet that the website actually runs on, and a licensing fee to run this forum software. These are the direct expenses of the site, which come out of my back pocket.

The indirect expenses of the site are that I've completely stopped freelancing, and am not actively looking for better day jobs/more work so that I can work on this site. As anyone who freelances can tell you, that's a considerable bit of money that I'm letting go to keep this going.

Will Imps Village be more expensive for you in the future?

Yes. Imps Village will, as of this week, cost me twice as much. We've become so popular that we've reached the limits of our bandwidth on our current server, and I'll be upgrading to increase that.

Also, many of you know of my plans to not only deliver on my vision of a full community site with tutorials and maps and an eBay-like auctioning system and an items database, but to also create a forum customized to our needs, and to include a major site for Wakfu as well. All of this is being programmed in Java Servlets / JSP, which requires a more powerful server and more programming/configuration time on my part. Optimally, I'd like to see us with a nice dedicated server which costs anywhere from $500 to $2000 a month depending on quality, but for now we're limited to a slower, shared machine. I have over $60,000 USD in college loans, and can't really make another large investment ;-)

If I donate, am I guaranteed that this new site will be launched, and soon?

No. This is the reason I've been so incredibly hesitant to allow people to donate. I can't give you a date that the new site will be finished on, and I'm not even going as far as to guarantee that there will be a new site. Your donation will definitely, definitely help, but there's so much uncertainty in my life right now for me to give you a guarantee.

That said, I can assure you that it's bloody likely that the site will be done, and hopefully well before the Wakfu official launch. Getting enough donated means that I won't need to worry about where to make some extra cash, hold off how long until I need to start freelancing again, etc etc etc. It would take a whole, whole lot to make this new site not happen, with all the work I've already put into it. I just want to allow for that slim possibility that I have to, like, enter the witness protection program and cut my ties with everyone online. Because that would suck hardcore.

Do I get anything back if I donate?

Yes! This is a recent benefit, and is subject to change without warning. But you all know me, and you know I'm not going to be a dick about it. Here's what you get. I'll update this list as it changes:

• Access to the Supporters' Lounge forum.
  • A graphic in your info that shows other forum members that you are helping to keep Imps Village running.
  • A green name in the list of currently logged-in users at the bottom of the front forum page.

Kyek, shut up. How do I donate?

Okokok, fine-- Here you go. Oh, and after saying all that and telling you how apprehensive I am to do this, I do really appreciate anything you can give to help the cause :). Whether it's five bucks or twenty or more, it helps more than you know. So thank you, in advance! Donations are accepted through PayPal, but you can use any major credit card even without a PayPal account.

How to donate and receive all the benefits:

NOW BUILT INTO IMPS VILLAGE. SAFEST, AUTOMATIC, AND RECOMMENDED METHOD:

1. Near the top of the forum, click the "My Controls" link.
  2. On that page, select "Purchase Paid Subscription" from the left-side column.
  3. Select an amount to donate, then click the "Continue to select a payment method..." button.
  4. Select PayPal, press continue, and click the PayPal Payment button.
  5. You will be taken to the PayPal website, making a payment to 'Frosted Design'. This is the account all Imps finances run through, and the account I'm receiving donations on. Following your payment, you should be returned to the forum and immediately be granted all the benefits!

How to donate any amount anonymously, and waive the benefits:

Click here to visit our PayPal donation page.

Before donating, be safe! Make sure the url starts with "https://www.paypal.com" and doesn't have an '@' symbol in it. All donations go to my business account (which all Imps finances are handled with), so make sure you see "Frosted Design" in the upper-left.

You certainly like to mess around with different fonts.

I think it's great that you've decided to ask for help because IMHO it'll make this just that much more doable.

if i wasn't so poor myself i'd help, although i'm paying for the vent atm, so atleast my conscience can rest.

I think it's a good idea as long as people don't feel obligated. Perhaps you can have an option to turn off and on your bling (if you go that route). Some people may like to remain anonymous benefactors.

Absolutely :) That will definitely be an option.

I dont know if its doable here, but on Lock legion they used to give people a certian amount of host space to upload images and signatures etc to people who donated. Useful?

Ooo!!! Fantastic idea! I like that!

I'd donate if I had a job.

(Only not really, I have like 5 different things to save up for in the immediate future, including having a moral obligation to give my mom ~$1000.)

Right after I go to your house and perform sexual favors.

*laughs insanely.*

Well, looks like I got something to look forward to after donating <3

*laughs insanely.*

Well, looks like I got something to look forward to after donating <3

Just to clarify.. that's only for > $1000 donations :). And.. umm.. girls.

*backtracks*

Ruin my fantasy will you!? OK.. you did. ;-;

You know, kyek...I live close to you, and if i had 1k in my back pocket I would be paying for said sexual favors, because you did write it on the website and therefor it's law.

SEXUAL FAVORS Pl0X

I have 2 roomates who will want some favors as well...

(gathers 1000 from piggy bank)

I'd question your motives for donating but I suppose then we wouldn't get any funding at all :).

A list of features you could offer for donators would be nice, Kyek and seeing ideas from prospective donators would be too. :P

Unban me on IRC and I will donate =P

Well, I'm a bit broke, but once I get a couple weeks in, You'll hopefully see TR Computers Checks in the Mail.

Unban me on IRC and I will donate =P

Done. Expecting to hear from Kyek soon.

Good idea, I didn't know it was so expensive.

How much should I donate? Hmm....

I donated $0.60 that was left over in my paypal until I get a bank account e.e;

Sorry guys.. I don't have paypal.. And my parents are bitchy about stuff like that :angry:

If I'm old enough to live alone i'll get it right away, and if then there is still a donation option, I'll donate right away...

You don't actually need paypal to donate! I'm getting a lot of those kinds of messages -- the account you're donating TO is a paypal account. But you can donate FROM any major credit card or a different paypal account.

So if you want to donate and you don't have paypal, no worries! :angry:

The one from pattiplatypus was me. There was no message option.

After I get a job again, I'm on it. I post here enough and read this place enough times a day that I feel like donating. Which is saying a lot, since I don't do the donations thing usually... mostly because I don't go to places enough.

This is a phenomenal idea. Even if I don't say much, I read it all the time to keep me entertained. Some of you people are frikkin hilarious!

As a parent I must add the:

Children, please have your parents permission before taking their credit card and ordering, IV can't be held responsible for the ass-whooping you would get when they got their credit card bill. :P

Hey Ky, I'll definately be donating. As soon as my paycheck hits the bank. Quick Question: anyway we can get like an update of how much has been donated/how much is needed sort of thing. Like the little thermometer thing they have at phone-a-thons that goes up until it explodes when you reach the goal. That would be sweet. :P

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0