• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
  • Announcements

• Rob

Server Merge and Changes to Imps Village   04/30/17

The old server sections will still be viewable at the bottom of the forum list under Legacy Servers, but read only. If you wish for any thread to be moved to the new sections, please report your own thread to bring it to our attention and tell us where you need it to go.
Yrona

Ask a Mage

1405 posts in this topic

Wondering how lucky you'll get at maging your weapons or equipment? There is a thread here where forgemages are keeping track of their results. If you can't find the information you're looking for there, please post your question here. I'm trying to keep that thread to mages posting results of experiments. We're happy to give advice on this thread. :)

Thank you!

I am new to maging. In fact I haven't tried to mage anything yet (I did grind my way to 100) and have been waiting for the update to give it a try.

General question: Can you tell me the difference between the types of elemental potions (spark, blazing, fire, etc.) and how each kind affects the maging process and if there are better ones to use at certain times. I don't want to waste any potions or mats that I have saved up.

The wikia lists the potions in a grid with percentages, but doesn't explain what they mean. Or when they are appropriate to use.

Specifically: I am going to fire mage my Kryst staff and not sure which potion to use.

Thanks!

Ok, I am curious. MP and AP appear to have about the same power isnt it possible to say take the MP off a mad tofu cloak or satisfaction boots and add an AP to it?

The wikia lists the potions in a grid with percentages, but doesn't explain what they mean. Or when they are appropriate to use.

Specifically: I am going to fire mage my Kryst staff and not sure which potion to use.

Thanks!

The percentages on the Wikia are actually the base damage that is kept in the new element.

L50 potions for example have 80% so Krsyt damage gets reduced to 80% (of the original dmg) on succesful mage from 16 - 20 Neutral to 13 - 16 in the new element. (I think numbers are rounded to closest Integer)

* Thanks Steale for ripping apart my poor English :)

Edited by AllWhiteOnTheNight

The percentages on the Wikia are actually the base damage that is kept in the new element.

L50 potions for example have 80% so Krsyt damage gets reduced by 80% on succesful mage from 16 - 20 Neutral to 13 - 16 in the new element. (I think numbers are rounded to closest Integer)

I know what you meant but it was stated in a confusing manner. 80% listed in the wiki is the percent of the original that is retained once the mage is completed. So the damage is reduced by 20% (100%-80%) from the original neutral base damage. And the numbers are always rounded down. (ie 4.9 becomes 4 not 5)

Ok, I am curious. MP and AP appear to have about the same power isnt it possible to say take the MP off a mad tofu cloak or satisfaction boots and add an AP to it?

that is a VERY good question.

They're correct about the percentages. For maging your Kryst, you want to use the fire potion, to be able to do the maximum damage.

Some people have suggested the lower level potions (spark and blazing fire) are more likely to succeed than the level 50 potion, but I've never seen concrete evidence of this.

If you're not a staff mage, drop me a message this evening (I'm usually on around 4 Dofus time). I'm probably going to be maging all night, lots of people have been waiting for the update.

Though they have the same item power, AP is an "unnatural" stat, something that normally doesn't appear on the cloak. As such, it's very difficult to mage one on (10% success rate at most, more likely completely impossible). However, it would be pretty easy to put the MP back on, on the order of 50% success rate or better.

They're correct about the percentages. For maging your Kryst, you want to use the fire potion, to be able to do the maximum damage.

Some people have suggested the lower level potions (spark and blazing fire) are more likely to succeed than the level 50 potion, but I've never seen concrete evidence of this.

If you're not a staff mage, drop me a message this evening (I'm usually on around 4 Dofus time). I'm probably going to be maging all night, lots of people have been waiting for the update.

I am a staff mage, but thanks for the info.

So when should you use the spark or blazing potion if the fire potion gives maximum damage? Does it have something to do with the level of the item? Or are they just cheaper/easier alternatives?

Though they have the same item power, AP is an "unnatural" stat, something that normally doesn't appear on the cloak. As such, it's very difficult to mage one on (10% success rate at most, more likely completely impossible). However, it would be pretty easy to put the MP back on, on the order of 50% success rate or better.

From what i heard, the AP and MP runes appear to only be useful when something that already had ap or mp lost it. IE maging a gelano and failing a ton.

A friend of mine tried getting a -0 mp caska and failed 200 times. Fairly sure that means its impossible.

I'm not a craftmage (thinking about it, though) but I was wondering a few things:

How hard is it to mage a stat to a level above the item's normal max? Does the Rune type (Normal/Pa/etc) affect this?

Is there more of a chance to add to an "unnatural" stat that you managed to put onto an item?

(example: is it easier to mage +Wis onto a Gobball hammer when it's already been maged to +1 Wis?)

Is it easier to mage with groups of runes, or 1 by 1?

If you want to add, for example, wisdom to an item and are still within it's "natural" range, what is the probability it will succeed?

More importantly, what is the penalty if it fails?

Thanks

From the official forum:

• The minimum probability to change the element on a weapon increases from 5% to 10%.
  • Smithmagi now have a success rate base set to 94% (they are therefore considered as master craftsmen) when they improve items of an inferior or equal level to that of their smithmagic. And they have the normal success rate (according to their smithmagic level) when they improve items of a higher level to that of their smithmagic.
  • Smithmagi can't modify items that have a level superior to the double of that of their smithmagic.

The last two seem to apply to rune maging only. Or, are they the case for element change also?

I am a lvl 100 Jewelmagus. I would strongly suggest keeping your AP and MP runes for when/if your item loses that stat.

I think Ankama are trying to make it extremely difficult to mage a non-native lvl 50 rune to items at all. 10% chance they suggest. But a more appropriate situation is when you are getting a high lvl ammy maged (feudala) and it fails, and you un-luckyily lose the +AP stat, thats when a +AP rune will have a much higher success rate, so you arnt compltetly screwed.

I would suggest adding rune stats to items should be thought of in more of "I got a bad roll when i got this item crafted, I wanna fix it". Rather than adding un-natural stats to items. You CAN add un-natural stats, but usually you have to forfeit another stat for the privelidge.

There is always still a risk that maging a rune to something can fail tho, hence it can take some time (and runes) to get an item to the stats you want.

If i think of anything ive missed ill add

Regards, Chris Hamilton

Edited by arcynum

I have one or two questions for you guys.

I know maging back stats lost due to failed maging(lets say a +20str solomonk) is pretty easy, but does it make any difference how good your solomonk is when maging within the range 31-50? Is it harder to mage if it's 40 than 30?

Nah, it was only one <_<

Well it gets harder as you get close to perfect. Is say if perfect was 50, then around 42-43 you might start getting more fails. It really depends tho, with some time and runes, ive seen many perfect, or damn close to perfect things crafted. Though stats like +heals, +crits and stuff seem to fail frequently even when items stats are quite low? Maybe thats just me

Heh, wow, you've already run into problems I can't answer. They upped the success rates for unnatural stats in the update, but nobody knows what it is exactly, and it probably depends on which unnatural stat you're adding. Give us a few days or weeks, and we'll try to work out the new success rates.

For intelligence, agility, strength, vitality, and chance, the success rates for adding them back within natural ranges seems to be about 80%. For wis, it's a bit less, maybe 65%? And for crits, it's 40-50%, I would guess it is the same for other "high value" stats likes resists, prospecting and heals. It does somewhat matter what the value of the other stats are (i.e. if your equipment has a lot of crits these numbers go down) but the variation seems small except for "high value" stats.

If you fail a rune, you lose 10% of all stats, rounded down. If it rounds down to zero (i.e. a weapon has +5 crits, 10% of 5 is 0.5, rounds down to 0) there is a 10% chance of losing one of those stat points (the +5 crits weapon has a 10% chance of going to +4 crits).

I am at level 90 Jewelmage and working with a level 40 ring and I don't have any trouble adding 5 or 6 new elements to this ring that were not there to begin with. Anyone have any idea how many different elements can be added. I am sure it gets harder as you go up in levels but some feedback on what people have done would be helpful.

How difficult would it be to make less than perfect crit Event Belt (7 or less) to perfect (8)? Would it be easier to add 3 pts to, say, a perfect Feudala Belt (5)?

me and diabolique were experimenting yesterday with silimelle's rings. we couldn't push it past 29 wis, but even so, that's pretty nice.

1 ) What would be a good way to go about lvl'ing bow mage? I assume just get what ever runes I can and but them on random bows, then crush to get them back, and repeat?

2 ) Can you put stats on something that has no stats, like a twiggy bow?

3 ) How do you determine the power or lvl of a weapon / rune? (ie. I understand there is a higher fail rate on a bow that has +AP, but how do we know that?)

1 ) What would be a good way to go about lvl'ing bow mage? I assume just get what ever runes I can and but them on random bows, then crush to get them back, and repeat?

2 ) Can you put stats on something that has no stats, like a twiggy bow?

1) That's what I've been doing.

2) I've made a couple of +200 pods Twiggy Swords ^_^ Success rate seemed to be about 75%, and it went down as the number of pods increased.

1 person likes this

Ok quick question does anyone know the rate at which you cn crush an AP Rune from an AP bearing item and also which equips you can actually get one from as i crushed 100 Rings of Satisfaction last night to discover they fail everytime in the Crusher

Ok quick question does anyone know the rate at which you cn crush an AP Rune from an AP bearing item and also which equips you can actually get one from as i crushed 100 Rings of Satisfaction last night to discover they fail everytime in the Crusher

Some people think the crusher might be bugged (see this thread.) I know for sure you can get AP runes from treecaskas and gelanos, but it's a very small percentage. Anyone got further information?

nvm, very stupid question of me to ask.

Edited by artificialintelligence

if you add an unnatural stat and it is sucessful...is it now a natural stat

eg i add wis to an nimbly ring. now is wis a natural stat (94%)