• Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dovahkiin

Laptop woes

Posted (edited)

I bought a used laptop off a buddy of mine. it is a dell studio with a quad core I-7 Q720 and the computer has 6 gigs of ram, and it has a Radeon Mobility HD 4650 video card installed.

Yet it is still slow when running 5 accounts. To change maps easily I have to put all accounts on creature mode. I don't get it. I oped task manager and viewed  the performance stats and neither the CPU, Memory, Disk or Wifi's percentages go over 50%. 

This laptop does get a little warm, but nothing major, it's sitting on my desk when I am playing and I can switch it to my lap when I am in shorts and it wont burn me or anything. I know the external temperature wont match what heat is actually on the CPU cores but I figured I would notice some major heat on the bottom of the laptop itself if the innards of the CPU were overheating.

I have checked all the drivers and made sure they were up to date, the laptop is also malware/virus free at this moment and is actually on a fairly new install with nothing but CCleaner, Malwarebytes, Dofus, BitTorrent, Taskbar Tweaker and a few other small things installed. 

Any ideas imps? Thanks for any help =)

Edited by Dovahkiin
typos

The CPU and graphics adapter are pretty low-end (also relatively old architectures), they're not exactly the gaming type hardware. I'd assume they're just not good enough for running a lot of Dofus clients.

Posted (edited)

You shouldn't use Bittorrent. The company that created BT packed a silent cryptocurrency miner in their other client uTorrent. I recommend qBittorrent.

Edited by ЯeveЯt
1 person likes this

23 hours ago, bobeur said:

The CPU and graphics adapter are pretty low-end (also relatively old architectures), they're not exactly the gaming type hardware. I'd assume they're just not good enough for running a lot of Dofus clients.

I figured the hardware would be maxing out if that were the case. I have used a core II duo before running 4 accounts and it was about as slow as this I7 laptop lol. There should be some sort of reasoning to that besides the "The hardware isn't good enough" reason.

15 hours ago, ЯeveЯt said:

You shouldn't use Bittorrent. The company that created BT packed a silent cryptocurrency miner in their other client uTorrent. I recommend qBittorrent.

I googled it and was stunned to see they were using other peoples CPU power to mine coin. That's insane o.o I removed it, thank you.

Also I will just consider my problem to be a heat issue since the bottom of the laptop does heat up a bit after prolonged usage. I'll try to pick up one of those laptop coolers that the laptop can sit on and have a fan blow up through it i guess.

Well that cpu is 8 years old now. He is right for thinking that.

If it produces a lot of heat now and throttles the cpu down to compensate. Odds are it has been doing that for years. I wouldn't expect a laptop cpu to holdup well after so many years of use. It likely has degraded from the heat from so long.

A laptop fan likely will not help at all. You can probably get a bit more performance opening the laptop up and replacing the cpu thermal paste. If it's never been done before I guarantee this will help with the heat. After a couple years most builds need the thermal paste replaced.

If it still heats up after replacing the paste. Odds are it's another underlying issue and you would be better off getting a newer laptop than playing cat and mouse to find the problem.

1 person likes this