• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
  • Announcements

• Rob

Server Merge and Changes to Imps Village   04/30/17

The old server sections will still be viewable at the bottom of the forum list under Legacy Servers, but read only. If you wish for any thread to be moved to the new sections, please report your own thread to bring it to our attention and tell us where you need it to go.
Sommanker

Laptop sometimes fails to turn on

Posted (edited)

Since about three days ago, pretty much every other time I press the power button on my laptop to turn it on from a fully shut down state, it displays my manufacturer's logo (MSI) and does nothing. In order to turn it on, I have to press the power button to turn it off first, and then turn it on again. So far, it has worked the second time like this every time.

Anyone know what could be wrong?

Model: MSI GS40 6QE Phantom 028UK

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M (using NVIDIA Optimus)

CPU: Intel i7 6700-HQ

16GB DDR4 RAM (2x8) 

61.25 Wh non-removable lithium-ion battery

Note: Avoid telling me to do anything internally as that involves voiding the warranty

Edited by Sommanker

Note: Avoid telling me to do anything internally as that involves voiding the warranty

^ this means you have warranty, go complain to ur manufacturer, they send you new one. izi

1 person likes this

I was kinda hoping there would be a way to fix it without getting it replaced?

Also, I can't be sure that it's a hardware issue, and the warranty is only valid for hardware.

Reinstall Windows.  Set BIOS to default.  If all of this doesn't fix it, it's not a software issue and you should take advantage of that warranty.  

PS you should've waited a generation because the GTX 1050 is desktop grade graphics in a laptop in the same price range as a 970m

11 hours ago, PieForFun said:

Reinstall Windows.  Set BIOS to default.  If all of this doesn't fix it, it's not a software issue and you should take advantage of that warranty.  

PS you should've waited a generation because the GTX 1050 is desktop grade graphics in a laptop in the same price range as a 970m

When I got the laptop the GTX 10 series hadn't been announced yet ^^ :( 

I'll try messing around with the bios I guess, hope I don't have to reinstall again

Posted (edited)

if you are on Windows 10, Disable fast boot. The symptoms you just said sound just like a fast-boot related issue.

Edited by Sinbad
1 person likes this

Good idea, I'll try that.

Posted (edited)

You bought an MSI laptop, that was your first mistake. Their hardware is some of the worst in terms of gaming laptops (from experience). 

But as sinbad said above, it does mimic issues related to fast boot if you have windows 10. If not, reinstalling windows is the first option, but that might just be more work in terms of having to move data and crap than just sending it into MSI and telling them to fix it.

My desktop did something like this back in the day (its on windows 7 tho) but it turned out to just be a faulty plug. 

Edited by CAFATT

8 minutes ago, CAFATT said:

You bought an MSI laptop, that was your first mistake. Their hardware is some of the worst in terms of gaming laptops (from experience). 

In what ways? :o

Okay so the fans had to be replaced, but other than that, haven't had any hardware problems.

Also, I can re-install windows in like a day but it would take weeks to get it repaired again, so that's what I do if it continues.

11 hours ago, Sommanker said:

In what ways? :o

Okay so the fans had to be replaced, but other than that, haven't had any hardware problems.

Also, I can re-install windows in like a day but it would take weeks to get it repaired again, so that's what I do if it continues.

I've had 2 motherboards fail on 2 separate laptops, couple fans go. At one point one of my RAM sticks failed and they replaced it with a different, non identical stick.

Gave up and built a desktop lol

Wow, lol

Hopefully I don't have problems that bad and you just got unlucky :P

Turning off fast startup seems to have fixed the problem. I'll update if it starts doing it again.