• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
  • Announcements

• Rob

Include a selling / offering price   06/11/17

A reminder that all marketplace topics (with exception to Real Estate) should include either selling or offering price. Click Here.
105 posts in this topic

Making  a whole new game is not the answer how many game companies do that and fail just look at oldschool runescape does better than rs3

2 people like this

35 minutes ago, Gravestorm said:

There's not many ways Dofus 2 can be improved though, besides just spamming content updates that don't seem to make people happy.

Well, there's a lot of content that is currently inaccesible to casual players or people who have a bad/average main character class. Level 200 dungeons have always been exlusive. People now say f3 is balanced, but that's mostly because you can buy dimension equipments and everyone got used to playing the "correct" classes and builds. Hardcore players will burn through content in days anyway, appealing just to them is a losing strategy.

Some ideas to bring life back to old content (these aren't even original, I've seen them plenty of times):

Get rid of monster aggression or make a way to disable it through quests or achievements (better if it doesn't require you to complete the whole area first).

Adjustable level, at the very least for dungeons, which will be extra simple when spell levels disappear. Just hard cap stats to what's posible at the desired level (multi characters get a bit of an advantage, but it's not that much, really).

Work on the overworld's maps. Some maps are a complete mess that make simple or easy fights potentially take too long, and hard fights to be nearly impossible because starting positions are all over the place even if the shape and size of the map are fine.

Do something about methods of transportation. The difference between people in the dominating alliance that can tp to dungeon entrances or key maps and people without access to prisms/imps/wabbit labs is abysmal. How about making them usable for everybody, but the fee is considerably higher out of the alliance, have a 5 minute delay between uses, or something?

When designing mobs, they could give a niche to classes or builds that are underused. Like creating a monster that is particularly weak to AP reduction (not necesarily because it's easy to drain to 0, but maybe it has an effect that reduces its damage proportionally to AP lost). Or a monster that deals less dammage to summons than players, or takes very high pushback damage. And make these weaknesses optional, not necesary to deal with the monsters like with krobes. They do this very rarely, and not in a systematic way that encourages diversity.

1 person likes this

But

RS3 wasn't a whole new game?

RS3 = RS2 with some extra skills and a new combat system, the same way Dofus 2 = Dofus 1 with different graphics and features

OSRS = Dofus 1

RS3 = Dofus 2

Chronicle: Runescape Legends = Dofus 3

Edited by Sommanker

Ankama has a history of not listening to the fans and doing whatever they want and that seems to be continuing.  No one wants Dofus 3 unless it means the current game in a new engine.  And it doesn't really make any kind of sense to make it anyway unless they just don't want people to play Dofus 2?   Sure it would be a huge job remaking the game again, but it was their choice to go with Air way back when and the game could really use some technical updates and maybe an art change too.  

2 people like this

23 hours ago, keriakrumme said:

All I hope for is just two be able to play both and see if I actually like dofus 3 but I don't think dofus 2 is really that bad just the fact it's to easy to level up now and lower gear doesn't really matter and low population Xd

Wut?

Edited by TheFook
2 people like this

2 hours ago, Chris Eggroll said:

No one wants Dofus 3 unless it means the current game in a new engine.

Speak for yourself.

I'm excited as fuck for Dofus 3.

1 person likes this

True, sorry to speak for you.  What I meant I guess, was that Dofus 3 might actually end up being a fun game, but if Ankama had asked the community what they wanted, a new game sharing the same name as Dofus is probably not one of those things (why call it Dofus 3 except to create all this confusion?)  Just stating that they were going to start working on moving Dofus to a new engine would be awesome and interesting, I love some of the concept art from Dofus 3, but hearing it's gonna just be a new simpler game is (for me) a huge letdown.

1 person likes this

As far as I could tell, "Dofus 3" is only a codenane for their new project.

I do wonder why they named it that internally though. Perhaps the name implies that there will never be an actual Dofus 3? Maybe the company wants to upgrade Dofus, but also purge the outdated things in actual Dofus. The only way to do that is to slowly phase out the old game while starting a new one. Hence the new games internal name.

Makes you think.

They will be adding a lot of ideas that they want to add to Dofus 2, like the Hero system or fully revamping PvM/PvP.

Honestly speaking, I think making a completely new game is the best thing Ankama could do.

2.0 has had its fair share of ups and downs lately, due to the elitist content, lack of communication and also including the fact that the community is dying off rapidly, with no new costumers coming in; non-existent advertisement and the recent Steam release which seems to have been a flop (since it has never been brought up again). I personally believe starting a new game (which appears to take the best of both Dofus and Wakfu, appealing to both audiences) would be best. 

With sufficient advertisement, communication and good game play, which I'd be confused if Ankama failed in this department, the game should be successful.

I'm no game developer, but doing a 2.0 to 3.0 (like when 1.29 converted to 2.0), while keeping 12 years worth of content intact, seems to be no easy task. It'd be incredibly time consuming, and would fail to address the issues the game currently has.

Edit: Sometimes I think it'd be best for the game to completely reset (hence Dofus 3), and start anew. FFXIV did something similar, creating ARR, and seems to be one of the best MMOs to exist currently.

Edited by Yehart

Its going to end up being another easy microtransaction game since it needs to be on tablets and mobile devices for some reason lets take the depth out and just add pretty graphics.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "it needs to be on tablets and mobile" since there will be a PC version. Ankama imported Dofus to tablets and mobile, while still retaining its depth. There are minor differences between both the mobile and PC version of Dofus, however, all the content is still there.

I see nothing wrong with Ankama giving choice, allowing players to play on a PC/Tablet/Mobile.

Edited by Yehart

32 minutes ago, Yehart said:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "it needs to be on tablets and mobile" since there will be a PC version. Ankama imported Dofus to tablets and mobile, while still retaining its depth. There are minor differences between both the mobile and PC version of Dofus, however, all the content is still there.

I see nothing wrong with Ankama giving choice, allowing players to play on a PC/Tablet/Mobile.

Games that get marketed to tablets and mobile platforms almost always include microtransactions because that's what's profitable and expected. That's the key difference between Dofus Touch and regular Dofus.

5 people like this

22 hours ago, Yehart said:

Honestly speaking, I think making a completely new game is the best thing Ankama could do.

2.0 has had its fair share of ups and downs lately, due to the elitist content, lack of communication and also including the fact that the community is dying off rapidly, with no new costumers coming in; non-existent advertisement and the recent Steam release which seems to have been a flop (since it has never been brought up again).

I don't see how a new game solves those problems. A company doesn't suddenly get better at communicating or advertising simply because they made a new game. Ankama isn't going to have a sudden surge of competency for their new game.

I personally believe starting a new game (which appears to take the best of both Dofus and Wakfu, appealing to both audiences) would be best. 

The problem with that line of thinking is assuming the population from both of those games is going to jump on the train for the new game. If they do, it's a classic case of product cannibalization. Players have a limited amount of time to divide between games.

Where are all these new players coming from? New games don't just magically attract new players.

With sufficient advertisement, communication and good game play, which I'd be confused if Ankama failed in this department, the game should be successful.

Ah yes, advertisement.

You've stated it yourself. Dofus doesn't get much advertisement and judging from the amount of advertisement Dofus has seen, the new game probably won't be getting much of it. I pray that I'm wrong, but Ankama doesn't exactly have the best track record on that sort of thing, at least outside of France.

Slightly off-topic: The only way I see the new game even becoming mildly successful is through luck. Most successful companies got successful through a lucky event, Ankama could hit it big with one of their new products and the customer overflow could carry on to their other games. The game I most likely see this happening to would be Krosmaga once it's out of beta.

4 people like this

On 12/28/2016 at 1:47 PM, Chris Eggroll said:

Ankama has a history of not listening to the fans and doing whatever they want and that seems to be continuing.  No one wants Dofus 3 unless it means the current game in a new engine.  And it doesn't really make any kind of sense to make it anyway unless they just don't want people to play Dofus 2?   Sure it would be a huge job remaking the game again, but it was their choice to go with Air way back when and the game could really use some technical updates and maybe an art change too.  

I couldn't help but think as I read his posts "and how many times over the years have I heard you say you dropped the ball on communication and should have listened to the players?" It's been how many years now? Year after year they say the same shit yet little changes. 

He has made it clear a couple of time that this will probably not be called Dofus 3 by saying it is the project code name but then goes on to make the contradictory statements that ElMatematico pointed out first page. Is it just getting lost in translation or is the company really bipolar?

22 hours ago, Yehart said:

I got the impression that they want mobile users to be able to access the same game and same game servers as PC users. The problem if that is indeed what they intend is the limited abilities of mobile platforms will mean the PC version has to be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. Obviously I could be wrong about one world for all platforms and that is the way it really should be done, but that is not the impression I got.

@Gravestorm I'm not sure wtf you're talking about. There are plenty of ways they could improve Dofus. It used to be a fun, popular game and they have been killing it slowly for years with bad mechanics, bad class revamps and other bad decisions. They have turned the game into an annoying pain in the ass, which helped drive away players which made the game more of an annoying pain in the ass. Yes I know there are some of you in here who think the current version is fun, you are not in the majority.

As far as them adding features to v3 that they want to add to v2, by their own admission they will not be able to do some things due to the limitations of flash. Nothing is stopping them from making the changes to Dofus that they can do now. 

3 people like this

If a company isn't satisfied with a product, chances are that the customer won't be satisfied either *rolleyes*.

I don't know, but Ankamas advertisment, to me, is the wierdest and worst strategy of any product I've purchased. 

It's like buying a broken Volvo straight from the factory (hey, I'm swedish) and having to return it twice a year for 'fixes'. 

Seriously Ankama. Don't write stuff like this. It's already enough with all your changes in mechanics and 'balancing' to show you aren't satisfied with your own product. What do you expect after 10+ years of this? Of course you won't get new customers. You're killing this game by your selfs, deliberately. 

We're still here, but you never learn to listen to us.

Good luck with the new game. You'll need it (unfortunatelly). 

Had a lot of respect for this company some 10 years ago but man, this is so stupid 😂.

Treat your employees better so they don't quit. The oldtimers within Ankama are your biggest asset because they know how to fix your problem just as good as many of the players. 

I can't believe they actually wrote this, lmao.

I shouldn't even be posting. God damnit. I better quit again.

5 people like this

On 12/29/2016 at 3:15 AM, ElMatematico said:

Not only is the engine outdated, dofus is bloated with impopular or useless features. They even aknowledge this by stating that the new game will be focused in combat, with quick dungeons and mini dungeons.

AvA is mostly stale. It was a horrible idea to put into the game in the first place, along with alliance defending each others percs.

Treasure hunt never caught on. Blasphemy! I love treasure hunting. It is also the only thing a solo accounter pvmer can do these days.

1 vs 1 is unbalanced (in part) because the devs try to pretend shields don't exist. Make shields purely cosmetic, done.

Community challenges were only popular as a way to scam people with impossible fights until exploits were addressed. Another silly idea,it should of been obvious people would abuse this.

Most of the oldest dungeon still have gimmicky rooms that nobody likes (steping on tiles, moving through a room with holes, mazes). But the gimmicky things are the fun things, it's just they aren't rewarding enough to do, and spoilt brats want everything to be linear and easy. The only old dungeon I haven't completed yet is Minotot.

Sets from otomai, ougaa and bworker are too high level compared to their dungeons and underpowered compared to similar level equipments. Set revamp ho! I blame elemental damage and the need to powercreep everything that came before it.

There are chaffers invading Eltneg woods because someone thought that made sense 7 years ago even though nobody ever agreed. That was annoying when I tried to kill Trools so many years ago when I was an int Iop. And Axit is a prick, killing him is on my bucketlist before I quit.

Monster aggression makes content impopular and it's never been addressed properly. It's fun watching bots die to aggressive monsters tho,it also keeps them out of the good lumberjack areas.

Many low level items need rebalancing in terms of crafting after their ingredients changed levels (for example, during the Cania update) or simply because their recipes are awful (blop sets). NEVER change set recipes, EVER again! God damn pebbles and needing loads of peki skins to make decent gear. Price inflation ho!

Idols don't make low level content more challenging and can't be used to test hard/unique mechanics (Nileza autokill, Klime glyphs, Count rotations, Koutoulou swaps, QoT bombs). I can't say much for Idols, I don't use them, but of course idols don't make low level content more challenging, Ankama is too busy doubling the levels/damage and giving bitchy ranged spells to low level monsters to make leveling a pain, just look at Piwis and Lousy Pigs.

I hate having opinions, but I do like voicing them.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Well, admitting their wrongdoings is the first step but I don't know if creating a whole new game while keeping the name the same (god knows why) just to turn over a new leaf is almost, dare I say it, childish from Ankama's part. I have done that before with one of my characters about 7/8 years ago. I had levelled all spells to lvl 2/3, completely fucked up my stats etc so I decided to just start fresh. Ankama can't do that though, it's a game we're talking about, how can they throw away all the good content they've created over the years. Yes, good content. I.e. what makes this game unique, classes, dungeons, equipment, pvp etc.

Now is the time that they pay for their carelessness with regards to advertising and the welcoming (or lack thereof) of new players. Firstly, unless they sponsor this new game on multiple platforms, it will considerably fail as much as Dofus does to get new players. What I mean by sponsoring/advertising is getting the game on Steam, Miniclip and other platforms. How else are they going to keep a steady influx of new players? By word of mouth alone?

Secondly, even if Ankama were given 1,000 new players for Dofus right now, most of them would quit an hour in. Low-level areas are completely deserted, they aren't allowed to speak in the Incarnam chat like they used to, the restricted f2p content is sickening...need I go further? That's what you get for only paying attention to the elite who constantly want new hardcore dungeons for them to blaze through. 

Not to mention other colossal fuck-ups like AvA, 1v1 pvp, community challenges, dungeon-party searching and more. Jesus christ just goddamn listen to us instead of playing god and throwing updates and class "balances" in our faces.

Do you know who knows best about what the community wants and needs? The community.

Edited by The_Golden_One
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, The_Golden_One said:

keeping the name the same (god knows why) 

ffs, how many times now have they stated that Dofus 3 is just a codename!?!?

Other than that you make good points.

Edited by Sommanker

6 hours ago, Sommanker said:

ffs, how many times now have they stated that Dofus 3 is just a codename!?!?

Other than that you make good points.

Oh yes forgot about that, apologies. 

Porting Dofus 2 on Unity would take us a good 3-4 years. The number of features to reproduce are monstrous. Dofus Touch took more than 2 years while they did not touch the server... And then some concepts are up to review.
3-4 years with us is infernal because it is way too long. I do not think we are pruned for such long development... Do not forget that we have an independent company and that every month is a fight.
The idea is to make a new game with mechanics close to those of Dofus/Wakfu and to get it out faster. By focusing on the battle mode to start with, personally, I am convinced that this is the most important. The rest can be built around it gradually. There will be fewer things than Dofus or Wakfu to start but this will allow us to launch the machine.
And this new game, we will develop it by thinking about what the engine can then be used for porting Dofus and Wakfu.
It is for this reason that it is important to know what works really well or really not well in our MMOs to make the right choices thereafter.

The ideal calendar:
- This year: A Dofus or Wakfu server for testing concepts with you and setting priorities.
- 2018-2019: A Dofus 3/Krosmoz World on Unity. It will be the same game as above but with the possibility of playing on mobiles and tablets. And above all, with an engine that allows us to let go in terms of creativity.
- 2020: Exit of a port of Dofus/Wakfu on the engine released previously.

I am talking about an ambitious vision that would consist of placing all our games in one and the same big universe. Dofus and Wakfu would become "epochs" in the same game. I've been dreaming about this for years and I think it's time to start with a techno like Unity.
It is obviously very ambitious but puree, it would be so much simpler at all levels. Communication, asset productions (dev and graph...), BG consistency...
And to this would be added the ability to play videos and bd directly in this game/app/platform. The entire Krosmoz universe on a single big game/platform.

I have talked about this some time ago, but I would really like to see this project succeed.
So yes, it is ambitious but "the cons dare everything, it is even to that we recognize them"

10 hours ago, Gravestorm said:

Porting Dofus 2 on Unity would take us a good 3-4 years.

Never,EVER,EVER use Unity.
Every time a developer uses Unity their games turn to ever loving shit.
Not to mention most browsers these days have retracted their support of Unity.
It's causing major havoc on Kongregate right now.

Just hold on with further updates and work on a solution to fix the issue with new players?

The people who are epic level with epic items can wait while you work on making dofus and your other games more appealing to newer players.

Make it easier to understand dofus for newcomers. If I were to get a question from a new player, it would be hard to answer. Haven't been a new player since 11 years back and you've changed just about everything. Why would I know where a level 20 sadida should level solo, make kamas or find friends? I can give him 10 million kamas, leech him and tell him what to do at 120 but thats not helping. Most of us has been 199-200 for several years so you've put your self in a really tough position. Stop stressing and focus on keeping dofus alive. 

Each update people quit and you get fewer players. Keep new players playing and replace us once you got the ball rolling. We're done anyway.

Boost pvm drops and nerf achievement drops (new players need kamas). Make it harder to level, not easier and don't change mechanics as often as you do. If its hard for us to keep up, imagine a new player.

You need to think this through seriously.

14 hours ago, Gravestorm said:

Quoted French stuff and it was translated

Entirely off topic but...

Whenever I highlight over the words it shows the source text in French. Gravestorm how do you do that!?

Google translate formatting carries over here. It's quite nice.