• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Gravestorm

Dofus 3 (Dofus Cube)

115 posts in this topic

this is the last news for dofus cube? 

It looks interesting but i too don't like the mobile vibe I'm getting cause with a strategy/tactics game like Dofus it can be so hit or miss.

Back to Table of Contents.

Post from Tot's blog from November 2nd, 2017.

Hello everyone,
Today we are going to tackle a topic that you all look forward to. You have been asking for months, waiting for it more than for Wakfu season 4, some have even dreamed of it: fragments!
Okay, I'm joking, you've never heard of it. I admit, it's not going to be the article of the year, especially with so few images/animations. It will therefore be necessary to be satisfied with my few paragraphs of texts. Yes, I know, it's sad but it will happen sometimes... Articles with few pictures and just text. Believe me, I am the first affected but we will have to live with this injustice.

Background of Fragments

Fragments, but fragments of what? This is certainly the first question you ask yourself. Well, it's about shell fragments of Dofus. I had previously explained to you that the Dofus Cube story followed Wakfu season 4. But before some unleash their little fingers on their keyboard: No, we have not signed yet for a season 4 and no I have not written scripts yet. On the other hand, I advance slowly on the main lines of the scenario and as I already said, I would like to link all our news and next creations taking place in the universe of Krosmoz. The end of season 4 will therefore engage the era of Dofus Cube. Needless to say that if the world of 12 is in this state is that there was trouble.

The fragments are thus pieces of shells of Dofus (which we will explain the origins in the S4 of WAKFU) and you, players, you will have for mission to recover them for your personal needs.

General concept

Fragments are at the heart of many gameplay mechanics. I must admit, one of my obsessions for Dofus Cube is to make the drops interesting, whatever they are, and avoid the thousands of items that are only used to fill the coffers. I think I have already spoken at length on the subject. So we asked ourselves how we could integrate a system that would make the drops enjoyable. I can not hear the little sound of a ring in Diablo II, the little heartbeat less at the time of the display of the loot table in the last DOFUS dungeons, the looting of a cloak perfect on the WA WABBIT ...
To be as effective as possible, it was necessary to find an idea so that a minimum is used a maximum (it is playful, it is necessary to reread 3 times the sentence to understand it well). In addition, we were looking for something simple to offer you in your dungeons without it going in all directions. It is from these desires that the system of fragments is born. So you can imagine the fragments as resources that will allow you to evolve your spells, companions, monsters, room Havre Dimension ...

The different types of Fragments

The fragments are 14 in number. For this to be understandable in the rest of the article, I will name the different fragments and take the opportunity to tell you about my theory on the creation of new words. 

The 6 types of fragments and their rarities: Ivorite/Rukosus/Ocrus/Emerodus/Pouprus/Ebenite:

FRAGMENTS.png

In connection with the 6 primordial Dofus, I placed provisional names on these fragments.
1. So you have Ivorite (Ivory Dofus)
on the left which is of rarity Infinite.
2. In the center you have the Common, Unusual and Rare fragments:
Rukosus (Turquoise Dofus)
Ocrus (Ochre Dofus)
Emerodus (Emerald Dofus)
Pouprus (Crimson Dofus)
3. And finally, on the right is Ebenite, another Infinite. But much harder to get because, unlike Ivorite, it is not offered during leveling.

Some words being particularly void, I propose to help us to find better ones starting with the Pouprus, the fragment of the Crimson Dofus.

Obtaining of Fragments

When leveling your heroes and sidekicks: You will get the fragments in different ways. First, it must be understood that your heroes will not get new skills (HP, Damage...) by leveling up. On the other hand you will get chests whose quantity and quality of the content will depend on several factors. You will always get a chunk of fragments during a level up, but its contents will evolve according to the level in question. The higher the level, the more the quality of the rewards will be affected. In the same way, we want to set up a bonus reward system linked to your survival. The idea is to reward players who die the least between each level. If you did not die once when leveling up, your reward will be maximum.

Monster drops: Whether monsters you face in the open world or in the dungeons of other players, you will also have the opportunity to drop fragments. Of course, the more complicated the dungeon, the higher your drops.

Harvest in your dungeons: I quickly told you about the dungeons of your Haven Dimension. This is the very mobile part of the game. Your dungeons will allow you to harvest fragment chests every X hours. Obviously, if your dungeon has no defense, the other players will come to steal them for you.

Expeditions/quests: Unused sidekicks may be sent on expeditions to retrieve fragments and other items.

Business model: Before some people get too much ideas and to avoid questions in the comments, I'll defuse a topic right away. This mechanic, if integrated into the business model, could quickly turn the game into pay-to-win. It is still too early to talk about the business model, but be certain that the goal is not to go into the extremes of ultra-aggressive mobile games and that our goal is to do something fair.

Utility of Fragments

And yes, even if I can talk to you for hours, the goal is still to know what's the point...

Spells of heroes and sidekicks will have 10 levels each. To make them evolve, it will be necessary to spend fragments. Each fragment has some of the Dofus magic from which it is drawn. Fragments are linked to the spell element. A lot of Earth will (mostly) ask for shell fragments of Ocrus. Our will is to allow you to gain the first 6-7 levels of spells very easily (in order to smooth the power of the majority of players) and make the final levels much more complicated to obtain. Here are two small tables to give you an idea of what it could give. Be careful, these values are only indicative and have no other ambitions than to serve as examples:

Capture-d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran-2017-11-02-

Ivorite fragments are very rare and allow you to unlock a spell. At first, for each class character you will have dozens of different spells but to unlock them you will have to use an Ivorite. Rest assured, these fragments will be offered to you when leveling up. The idea is to work a good progression system rather than giving you access to 50 spells from the beginning.

Ebenite fragments will require more effort. This is the ultimate fragment that allows you to pass the last level of your spell.

Capture-d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran-2017-11-02-

Finally, understand that the power differences of level 9 and 10 spells will be quite small. We do not want there to be too big power gaps between players. To give you an idea, we want a maximum ratio of x4 between a novice player and a veteran player. The idea behind all this is to ensure that all players can always play together in the same spirit. In our current MMOs, power gaps between old and new are such that game compatibility is almost impossible. There are of course many other reasons but it would deserve practically a separate article.

Leveling monsters in your dungeon: Be careful, here we are talking about raising monster levels and not their spells. You will have the choice between evolving your characters (to attack) or the monsters of your dungeons (to defend your dungeons). The idea is to allow you to adapt your game according to your availability. If you think you have time to play, maybe you'll focus on your characters to beat dungeons (open world or other players). If you have less time, perhaps you will put your hopes in the fragment harvest in your own dungeon. In this case, you will prefer to bet on good powerful monsters and increase your harvested fragments according to their level. And if you are a big player, nothing will prevent you from playing both aspects.

Haven Guild Construction: We think, at this point, that Haven Guild will be a different area of your Haven Dimension. Reserved, as its name indicates, to your guild. And to unlock it will be necessary that each member puts his hand in the pocket... It is only a beginning of development, it is, for the moment, far from being our priority.

Okay, as much as, I still do want to try it out. I am more and more starting to see what everyone else has been complaining/worried about. The game is more and more, beginning to look like more of those terrible mobile games more so, then an actual mmorpg. I do love the fact that it will be played across all platforms and I don't mind the mobile portions having specific content they can only do on that operating system but it is kind of scary, beginning to see so many "mobile" elements into an mmorpg, rather than the other way around of an mmorpg fitting that mobile niche. 

With the blog post above, it looks like it pretty much confirms that there are no traditional drops (or a very limited number of them), and that must also mean no profs. They mention kamas, but they seem redundant to fragments at this point. I also don't understand how fragments are linked. They would have to link level up fragments to chars and drop/harvest fragments to account wouldn't they? Otherwise, you just use the char level up to get the rare fragment that unlocks new spells and use it on a dif char.

I'm going to extrapolate a bit...

• Their strategy seems to be about isolating progression (like mobile games), which will mean no global marketplace
  • If there is no global marketplace, gear will be linked to the account, which leads me to believe that it will be mostly quest based (or able to be npcd somehow)
  • If gear is linked to the account and achievable via quest, any gear acquired will most likely be equippable on all chars (instead of needing multiple copies)
  • Also, any gear that is quest based will either need a means of improvement, or will be fixed stat

This game seems incredibly minimalist. I think that could be a good thing. As someone who would rather be a casual player, this sort of system favors me because it has removed a ton of grindy elements. What that also means is that the game is essentially its combat. With a much simplified system, Ankama will be expected to release quick updates to prevent the game from becoming stale. But isn't making new monsters and shit the most expensive thing to develop? It's almost like they are setting themselves up to fail :o

I REALLY don't see how this game will be popular among the 'hardcore' dofus players and I don't know how many casuals you can expect to launch something off their computer. Oh well, not my problem!

Post from Tot's blog from November 22nd, 2017.

Hello everyone,
It's a little tail between the legs and cheeks flushed with shame as I write this article today. Indeed, I told you three weeks ago that I could not write our weekly article. I had warned, I had played it classy... But despite all this psychological preparation to conditioning you against this future and terrible lack, I still made an epic fail. And yes, the ultimate drama... It's not one article that I zapped, but two. I imagined to explain that our plane had crashed in the open sea and that we had spent a week on a desert island. What took madness Kam began to sympathize with a volleyball named Wilson... But no, decidedly, it did not seem very credible... And then my conscience caught me. No article for two weeks? It's bad, it's unforgivable and I only had one solution: to make me "seppuku". But after three failed attempts at the toothpick, I realized it was better that I catch up with a new article containing some cool visuals and information. So I'm going to do what I can to make the subject interesting, but I admit to being still in shock from the jetlag and overtaken by my obligations as a business leader (you can not imagine the hidden pleasures if you do not practice this activity on your free hours). The writing of this article is therefore a challenge in itself but fortunately, graphic buddies have supported me in this heavy task thanks to some pretty videos.

From the beginning to now

Since the start of this new game, our ambition is to use our experience in the field of animation and video games. Strangely, when you start a new project, the hard part is to focus on the ambitions of the latter and to be sure that the various stakeholders are connected to them. Regarding the graphic part, we have long matured the subject. I do not think I'm the only one in this case but when you reach a certain stage of your life (in this case 40 years for me) we say that the remaining projects must be worth it. It may be a bit silly, but I'm starting to count the remaining years of production and if we're lucky enough to have a similar success to our first game it's not inconceivable to imagine spending 6-7 years on this new project. Therefore, to start producing such a project is almost like getting married. With the project itself first, but also with the team that will work on it.
In this context, it is important not to mess up at the start to not regret the rest. I already explained to you that our choice of 2D was justified by our experience in this field and by the idea that, in our opinion, this technique ages better than 3D.
You probably do not know but we started Dofus Cube (which was then called Krosmoz World) about 2 years ago. We were only 2-3 in the team, but the idea was to put desires and ambitions.
We started by thinking about an area to define a graphic style. This area took the form of a delirium that we named The Tower of the Arakné Man. I let you discover some visuals below:

Capture-d%E2%80%99e%CC%81cran-2017-11-24

There were already atmospheres that we liked a lot but Arnaud and his team continued to push the detail and stalling on the game design that came gradually... The big difference between this version and what we are currently developing on the game side design. Krosmoz World had some ideas that we kept but the character classes and the spell-casting were much closer to our current MMOs... Not to mention that we had absolutely not integrated the idea of a cross-platform game. Finally we opted for a more cubic rendering and bigger boxes for the fights.

Below you will discover the progress of our advancements on Bonta City. As you can see, houses, floors and other props are being improved and refined gradually. The overall rendering is quite close to the first researches of our decorators but the emphasis has been placed on the cubic side to promote the link between the open world and the fighting. In Dofus Cube, we do not want to be dependent on a grid and we want the battlefields to be readable:

ACC_Barque.jpg

Bonta_Nature.jpg

Dofus Cube and the 3D Decorations

Now that you have a little idea of how we have advanced on the finishing of the decorations, I allow myself to return to the subject of the article and our choice for the 3D decorations. This subject is a little contradictory with my declaration of love to 2D cinematography expressed above... But it must be understood that the choice was not made as simple as that. The developers explained to us that working on 3D sets gave us many advantages that I list below.

1. 3D in Unity: For this extremely technical part I called on a development wizard, which I named Harry Codder. Go ahead Harry and explain to us the advantage of 3D in Unity:
By definition, 2D has no volume and therefore can neither respond to light nor project coherent shadows in a 3D world. If you want to change the colour or the orientation of the lighting in your scene, you have to redesign everything! If we wanted sets and dynamic environments, it was therefore almost impossible for us to continue to produce them in 2D. In terms of benefits, 3D decoration elements can be reused from one set to another and can be placed in various orientations without having to draw a dedicated version each time. Building detail is thus greatly facilitated and it is faster to test different versions of the same area.
Being able to move the scenery elements without having to create a dedicated traditional animation will allow to create many more of these and thus enhance the interactivity of the world. From a purely technical point of view, rendering of isometric 3D and 2D imposes a lot of constraints on the implementation of an efficient rendering pipeline. The only management of the order of rendering of the elements is a puzzle easily put in pieces by the last brilliant idea of a game-designer a little too ambitious. Realizing the 3D scenery frees us from these constraints and that we can push the rendering further than before thanks to effects impossible to achieve with 2D.
Well, thank you to Harry Codder for his intervention, it's a great first and I hope he will agree to come back.

2. Reusing assets and the Lego side: In Dofus and Wakfu, if we want to duplicate the same house by simply changing the door or window to create a rhythm, we have to create different assets systematically. 3D allows us, conversely, to pool the different parts of a house to compose and recompose as we see fit. It is less heavy and also less the brothel for levels designers.

kit_maison_base.png

kit_maison_extension.png

kit_maison_toit.png

3. Lighting, dynamic shadows, reflections and other weather effects: After some tests we have seen the advantage of 3D on the subject... But rather than long speeches, I prefer to show you an example below. Attention, we have a common deal between us dear readers, you know that all that I show you is subject to change and that it is always only tests and versions that are work in progress that are shown in these blog posts. Here you will discover some NPCs in action, but especially the type of atmospheric rendering towards which we lean. You must also understand that here it is only a video and that this example is taken from the engine of the game where the events will be random. I also had to waste an hour asking Seb to relaunch the scene to see the different versions possible:

https://videopress.com/v/1vwh5RKM

As you can see in this example the whole works fine and we do not notice the 3D. On the contrary, it serves our purpose completely.
I present this subject because we have definitely endorsed the fact that the decorations are all in 3D. It may seem trivial but for us it's a first. There was a firm condition to this choice. We did not have to differentiate between a 2D decoration and a 3D decoration. If you look at the top images that are done under flash and videos, I think the bet is successful.
Thanks to Pitch for putting a good sound on us when the timing was so tight.

4. Start a fight and define a PvM battle instance: Well, my title is a bit flawed but I come to a subject that is particularly close to my heart because it affects the entry into battle against monsters. I will try not to be too long because it is a subject that deserves its own post. I will only give you the outline. In our previous games, you trigger fights by clicking on a monster or a group of monsters. You always know what you are going to face because it is listed. In Dofus Cube, for the sake of game design, but also especially for immersion, we have reflected on another system. The idea is to integrate the monsters in the decorations, hiding them (or not). It is up to you to observe the scenery and start the fight whenever you feel like it and you have spotted a suspicious group. Below you will discover 2 examples made by Tiko about what we want to do. Obviously, this is the basic idea and we still have a lot to define on this subject. But these videos will give you an idea of the concept:

https://videopress.com/v/isrHu3gX

https://videopress.com/v/Z9IHlwPj

What I like most about this idea is the cartoon aspect of the whole and what it offers us as possibilities. Here you have a simple example, but we will be able to raise anything from Mulous from behind the groves, to a huge dragon...
In terms of pure game design, the goal is to have a particular family of monsters by zone and make it evolve gradually. The discovery of archmonstres or other super creatures will no longer be the result of chance but of your efforts. Take the example of the Crobak Forest. When you get there, you'll discover the first Crobaks and easily get rid of them. But the more you knock out the Crobaks, the more you will have access to bigger, more rare, more epic ones.
The idea is to have an array of achievements by region and to offer you battles that will be related to what you have achieved in the area. Thus, the farming side of the game is found valued and motivating since each fight will allow you to advance in your achievements of zones.

Regarding the level of the groups you will attack, we also want it to be related to the visuals. If you pass a tree containing 1 Crobak, you know that your fight will be simple and safe. On the other hand, a tree containing 5-6 Crobaks will mean a much more dangerous fight.
And what does 3D do in there, you ask me? The creation of the combat zone (disbursement of the boxes) is much more practical in this way and the game of movement in the boxes is less taxing in performance than what we can have in Krosmaga.

1 person likes this

Post from Tot's blog from November 30th, 2017.

Hello everyone,
It's a little scary to say that this is already the ninth note dedicated to Dofus Cube. I have the impression to have opened this blog quite recently but in fact no, it will already soon celebrate three months... It will be necessary that I ask the god Xelor for a temporal slowdown if I do not want not find myself a grandfather too fast.
Today I'm going to talk about building a deck. Note that I do not find the word deck suitable even if it sounds good to others. In short, it will be called deck until I find a better name for this system.

What is a deck?

Decidedly, the more I use this word, the more it irritates me... But hey, you will understand why I have trouble finding a replacement. In Dofus Cube, the deck aims to group together several ideas. This is, even today, the most complicated mission concerning this vital concept for the game. As I explained to you in previous articles, in this new game you do not play a single character but a group. In addition, you can change your spells as you see fit within the limit of the nine spells imposed. Ninth note, nine spells, I was born on the ninth... And David Gemmell explains that 9 is a magic number. My god, I'm seeing some signs... But let's be serious for 9 seconds... In the interfaces I'll introduce below, I've limited the number of playable active spells to 9 but that's, of course, likely to move according to future tests. Today the deck thus includes 4 big points:
1. Hero:
This is the character you play with in the world and in combat. This is your avatar. You lose the fight as soon as your hero gets knocked out. You will be able to change it but it will have the consequence of making you start from scratch (well, almost since you will keep your fragments) with another character...
2. Spells: The hero's spells are, of course, related to its class. They have a tab dedicated to them. You will be able to choose 8 Active Spells that your hero can cast in combat and 1 Active Spell that will be linked to its equipped weapon.
3. Weapon: We still have a lot to define on the precise operation of weapons. For the moment, we imagine that each weapon offers a particular style to the hero who wears it. This style is defined by obtaining 3 Style Spells as soon as the weapon is equipped. A hero can not start a fight without having a weapon equipped. Of the 3 Style Spells, 2 are Passive Spells and 1 Active Spell (that is, it will be added to the other 8 spells selected by you, as explained just above). Our desire regarding this concept is to frame the style of play of heroes to facilitate better readability of classes in PvP combat. When you come across a Spectral Iop for example, you will know immediately what its style of play is and how to deal with it. Well and for there to be at least one visual in this note, here is what the Spectral Iop would look like:

iop_ames_4.jpg

4. Sidekicks: Sidekicks appear according to your good will to come to support you in combat. At the moment we start on two different principles: They must be summoned during the PvM battles and conversely, will be present alongside your hero from the beginning of a PvP fight. There is a good chance we will evolve these ideas (but as Mother Michelle says, "We have to start somewhere").

Here, quickly, a point on the 4 big elements that make up the creation of the deck. Compared to our previous games, it becomes vital to combine all these elements if you want to be effective in combat. The word deck annoys me but it seems appropriate (for now) because we are close enough to the mechanical game development related to a card game.

Accessing the deck interface

In Dofus Cube, I stayed for a long time on the idea of zero interface. I know (in general) that I say bullshit and we can never really do the zero interface. But repeating it stupidly can limit and spread the message. In the end, I am convinced that we will have much fewer interfaces than in any game of the same kind. And if there is one subject that can not do without interfaces, it is the creation of a deck.
From then on, the desire was to gather as many subjects as possible in the same place. We are not in the zero interface but we will continue to have as little as possible... And for this, we must centralize.
Below, you will discover images of my game design docs. It still bores me a little to communicate (it's not against you dear readers, I do not even show them to the teams) but they will help me in my remarks. Obviously, nothing is stopped. When I work on this kind of subject, the idea is always to give a track. Subsequently, the devs/UI artists will bounce on it and add their paw.
This deck interface opens from your character. The idea is not to have lots of different icons around your hero, but to trigger the opening on the first click.

Choosing your Sidekick

You will need to select the companions to bring with you before the fight. The maximum number of Sidekicks that can help you during a fight is 4. I can already hear some of you saying, "Well, I'm too strong, I do not care about your fellows...", to which I answer "We'll see well". But unlike spells and your weapon, you do not need to equip them to start a fight if you do not want to use them. At the beginning of the game, we will provide you with small Sidekicks to explain the concept, but at no time will you be required to take them for your PvM fights. As I reread my text, I realize that I used the word small. Not knowing the news, I want to clarify that I have nothing against dwarves or people of small sizes in general. I have trouble with bald people, but small and big, it's okay. After checking, I see that we are left on the same sordid affairs of several months ago and on the suicide of a former Croatian soldier who was harassed by a court trying to lock him up for 20 years... I pity our journalists who do not have much to put in their teeth right now. If it continues they may have to talk about positive things...
In short, let's return to our subject. As I explained above, it is important to understand that we are trying to put our energy on the centralization of information.
Here, the main idea is to have your deck/team composition/choice of spells on the left and always leave it visible. On the other hand, the right part (on a gray background) will evolve according to your needs/choices. You just need to use the small interface made up of 3 buttons (Spells/Sidekicks/Weapons) to access the desired page.
To select your Sidekicks, it will be drag and drop on one of the four boxes provided for this purpose (placed under the choice of the deck, as you will be able to make a few and easily switch between them).

Sidekick Deck Interface:

INTER02.png

Choosing your Weapon

The choice of weapon works exactly the same way. On the other hand, you must have a weapon equipped to start a fight. Or, we will see to ensure that the characters have basic skills with bare hands. As explained above, weapons are entitled to a style of play and they are the ones who define the 2 Passive Spells and 1 Active Spell that will accompany you. I will not dwell on this topic because we still have a lot of choices to make about how weapons work.

Weapon Deck Interface:
INTER03.png

Choosing your Spells

Same pattern as companions and weapons for spells. As in KROSMAGA, you can pre-record several decks but again, the deck is not composed of your spells. This is the set created by your hero through his companions, his spells and his weapon.

Spell Deck Interface:

INTER01.png

Concerning the statistics of the hero:
I've already told you about it (at my age we tend to ramble), but the idea is not to offer Skill Points or Characteristics when leveling up your hero. No, the idea is to produce a game design easy enough to facilitate the understanding of beautiful PvP fights.
In this context, my two small game development trainees had a very good idea that we will sift through before making a separate article about it. It's about connecting your hero's HP to Spells. The amount of HP is related to the level of the spell and its power. A particularly effective spell could, for example, not offer HP to your hero. What I like about this system is that, despite your hero's level, you will always have the opportunity to challenge yourself and play with weaker friends in order to use your less effective spells. In the same way, I think that it would make it possible to balance certain spells more easily and will add a layer of choice concerning the builds of your heroes...

Currently we are working on the details of the operation of Haven Dimension and developers are advancing on 1v1 combat... We start to see things that move here and there and it's nice.

2 people like this

On 12/22/2017 at 9:37 PM, BjornZA said:

Any chance you could translate the newest articles? Thanks

Google translate does a good enough job.

https://tot-prod.blog/category/dofus-cube/

Post from Tot's blog from December 3rd, 2017.

As promised, this tenth note is devoted to your questions. I had a cold sweat finding the list of these in your comments but fortunately Adrien came to lend me a hand. He helped me to list them and even took the time to answer some of them. I will put it forward when it comes to one of his answers.

What will be the style of the game?

Adrien: The game mixes different genres, so it's hard to categorize it, especially since it's multi-platform. MMO, RPG, Strategy, Management... It would be necessary to invent a new genre, but let's say in short that it falls mainly in the MMORPG category. No worries about the esport aspect yet, in the sense that we arrive (on paper for the moment) to find a balance in the creation of the game. in addition, for tournaments and other competitive PvP events, we plan to have set spell and character levels.
Tot: We did not really think about a type or style of play especially when we started working on Dofus Cube. From my point of view, it was rather to draw up an inventory of our past productions. Of course, mobiles are more and more present in everyone's video game habits, but that's not really why we chose this mix. I personally think that there are now, as in the film industry, two major categories of games: "Little games" often made by independents, I do not just talk about mobile games, there are plenty of "little games" on consoles and PCs, with "small" meaning small or medium budgets. And on the other side, the big blockbusters, in the video game industry we name them the triple A. Our productions are in the first category. We have never done AAA and will probably never do. There are too many issues and that does not correspond to us.
Starting from this observation, we have to do what we have always done (and above all, always liked to do): community games. But you know as well as me, big MMOs are not in the air anymore. People have "less time" or think they have less time. In fact, they spend more on their phones than on their computers. In any case, that's what I personally think. The way to "consume" has completely changed and our will has been to adapt. The goal is to make a game that would have several ways to be played. Some players could focus on the mobile part and never enter the open world, while others would have access to the whole (and especially a much more narrative part) on PC. The example is simple, we have released Dofus Touch on mobile and it has no connection with the Dofus on PC. I think if we could (technically) have the two communicate, it would have been perfect. This is what we want to do with Dofus Cube and taking the idea into account from the start of the project, the whole becomes much more "feasible". Note, that I will not make such a long answer on every question :).

What is the progress of the project?

It is a very complicated question in the sense that it depends on the person who will answer you. In terms of pure technical progress we are only 5% there. But for my part, I feel that we have done the fullest. The two sentences are opposed but I think the most important thing in a project is knowing where we are going. If after a few months we stay on our positions, the hardest is done. I think, whatever the project (cartoon or video game), that there is 10% that must absolutely not be missed and that they are the cause of success or failure.
1. The first 5% to start production. The writing of a script and its storyboard for animation and definition of the main lines of game design for a video game. If you are clear at startup, the next 90% will roll. We will "cut down" the jobs without asking too many questions.
2. The last 5% that consists of "closing" the production. This is where we will begin to doubt and lose a lot of time to calibrate things. The mass of details accumulate and we no longer realize that the last 2-3 little things to finish are in fact the last 200-300 things to finish...

It is for this reason that I am quite serene for the moment. I think we've gone through one of the two most complicated phases and we're going to be able to go into production seriously.

How many classes will there be at the beginning of the game?

We expect 12 classes. But it's a bit early to talk about it.

Will they have roles/styles like in Dofus/Wakfu?

Adrien (who tells it and answers in English): For me, it’s more interesting if a class has a specific role. We could imagine the most versatile classes can play 2 or 3 roles, but never simultaneously, or in a non-optimized way. The main advantage of the « trinity » (Tank, Heal, DPS) is thatplayers have to play together because they are complemetary. Nowadays, MMORPGs offer more and more « Swiss-knife » class, making each character and player indepedent from the others. Unfortunately, this is reflected in the content and the social aspect of games, where more and more things are solotable, where groups are built without any communication, and where everything to do is relatively « no-brain » or very assisted. We would like to bring back the social aspect in Dofus Cube and develop it to bring more life in the game, whether with the players or NPCs (it’s just a thinking).

Is the power ratio always about X4 between a Level 1 and a Max Level?

Adrien: There is an x4 power ratio between the lowest level and the highest level of a character's spells. It's about getting a balance, both for the PvP and for the PvM. We do not want a player to start with 50 HP and get to 15,000 some levels later. The numbers must be reasonable while giving a sense of power evolution. In addition, the evolution will also go through the release of spells and the construction of the deck.

How many elements will there be in Dofus Cube?

I do not think I've talked about it in the previous notes and it's going to be an opportunity to create some debate :). In our new game, we do not set limits on the number of elements that can be implanted. Maybe we'll start with 5-6 and then add the item "Ice" or "Lightning". I can see from here the javelins pointed in my direction, written roughly on them "And how do you balance the resistances if you gradually implant them? Badger!". And here I leave my shield on which is engraved: "There is no resistance system in Dofus Cube". Okay then, either the javelin throwers are taken aback and wait for the rest or they stop to return to play "Cooking Mama". The idea behind all this is to make the combat more legible and not have to make calculations of sick whew to understand what will cause the damage of a spell.
Oh, another javelin was thrown... "And what are the elements for if there is no resistance? Jester!". Well they will be used to "mock" each other to create new, more "game-oriented" play styles. And then I lie a little, there will be resistances... on monsters.

Will customisation of Heroes be bigger than in Dofus/Wakfu?

Well, to explain the choices we're making, I'm going to talk about Dofus and Wakfu. Not to criticize the two big brothers, but to give you the advantages and disadvantages of each project. In Dofus and Wakfu you have a "template" system that has been put in place. That is, the characters all have more or less the same body and size. For the different objects to equip themselves on all the classes it is obligatory. This is even more true in Wakfu because the personalization is more advanced than in Dofus. In Dofus, you equip the cape, the hat and the weapon. In Wakfu you equip these three items, but also epaulettes, boots, a belt and a breastplate. In Wakfu, to be able to equip all this, all characters have exactly the same template/skeleton. In Dofus, artists can play with 3 sizes but within reasonable limits. Each time, you must understand that there are advantages and disadvantages.
Personally, what annoys me is that in the world, all the characters are alike. You get used to it, but I immediately wanted something much more advanced, always in the idea of having a game that is closer to our television animations.
Our choice is thus: You will create a character (hero) who will resemble those of the other players. You will have some colours available but no possibility to have 10 different haircuts... We do not expect any direct customisation on your heroes. I know, some are already crying like babies and the javelin throwers are preparing a second salvo. But our alternative proposal is to create a lot of different sprites. And these will be triggered when you equip a particular weapon. If I summarize, for you to understand well, the idea is to have (for example) more or less 20 Weapons for the Iop. And when you equip one, not only will it change the entirety of your skin, but it will also give an idea of the type of gameplay you use. With this type of concept, I think the world will be much more beautiful and varied because we will have no size limit (you can embody a dwarf, a big...).

Will you keep the fact that each class can wear the same equipment?

I think the answer to the previous question is appropriate for this one.

What connection will customisation have with the Shushu Weapons?

Some weapons will be Shushus, but not all of them. I think it will be a particularly rare weapon with special visual effects.

Will the Sidekick and Haven Dimension systems not provide anatomy to players and to the detriment of the coop aspect?

Mistrust forces you to think that everything is often done at the expense of something. I understand the question and we ask it regularly. Again, from my point of view, the idea is to allow players to do what they want. If some people prefer to play alone, they can do it. They will be able, but will not have access to all the content. In addition, many of the ideas we have are based on coop or PvP. If I have to summarize roughly, I would say that for all the farming part, the players will be able to play easily alone in their corner. For big dungeons in certain game modes, they will be forced to group up.

What about Professions?

As I said before, there will be no professions in Dofus Cube like in Dofus/Wakfu. I understand that it is a pleasure for some when they want to "pass the time". But frankly, it's not a pleasure to produce, and most importantly, a trap to con. It is, for example, because of the professions that there is no loot in Dofus. If it's not important enough, it's bad, and if you give too much importance to it, it is to the detriment of the rest of the game. Personally, the professions, they really piss me off. Like that said :). I do not want to think of foolish concepts aimed at wasting valuable time of my beloved players. We will have crafting, dropping of resources and a lot of things, but not mass farming.
I'm thinking more of something close to Pillars of Eternity. The idea is to make you drop the production recipes of certain items and once you have them, you can create them. No need to grind a level 100 Archmagus to do it... I think this answer will illuminate the face of the person who asked if the fragments would be the only loots of the game...
Obviously, we did not put aside the farming system via your unused Sidekicks...

Questions about the Wakfu Gauge

I will not bring you more answers now dear friends. Not that I do not want, but rather that I told you everything previously and that I can not tell you more without having tested directly in game. Know however that your fears are taken into account and that absolutely nothing is stopped on this concept.

Computer content vs. Mobile content

On mobile:
You will have access to your Haven Dimension. You can develop it by taking care, among other things, of your 3 dungeon rooms.
You can attack and try to loot the dungeons of other players.
You will also have access to the 1v1 combat mode.

On computer:
You will have access to everything on mobile. But in addition you will have the open world part with its quests and dungeons. You'll also have more advanced 2v2 and 3v3 PvP modes, as well as competitive fighting modes that I have not told you about yet. It will be to enter arenas with special modes. I do not dwell too much on the subject, otherwise, it will spoil me a next note.

Post from Tot's blog from December 8th, 2017.

Dear friends, you will agree that my devotion to this blog knows no bounds. Hardly recovered from the strain of my ten fingers and a cold that turned my nose into a factory snot and my brain goat cheese, I return to the front, like a Roubaisian Spartiate, to deliver the following responses to your questions. First of all, be sure that I have read (and even answered in some cases) your comments and I understand that personalization worries you. I think the next step on this topic will be to present you with some detailed visuals to give you an idea of what that can bring to the game. You have to understand that we are still in a slight technical stalemate on this side and we can not do what we want. It seems to me that we have found an interesting compromise, but as some people point out, perhaps I am wrong.

Will you keep the Fragments and its evolution when changing Heroes?

Each class will have its own spells. You will also have the opportunity to save builds of decks through your main hero. Simply put, if you opt for an Enutrof for your first game, you can have many decks of Enutrof spells and in each of them, all the spells you have selected will be at their max level. On the other hand, if you decide to change class and take an Iop, for example, you will start again at level 1 with all your Iop spells at the minimum level. Some fragments will be recoverable from one class to another and others will not (fragments to unlock the first levels of each spell will be attached to the character because they are given when leveling up). I hope to be clear in my answer, I feel like I'm grinding a bit.
For your part, your Haven Dimension will keep its various advances. On the other hand, concerning the achievements, I still wonder if they will be related to the account or specific to each character...

What direction will you go for the economic model?

It's a very complicated question. We want to make a game that is affordable and does not require players to spend hundreds of euros every month. Basically, not a game from Supercell. We do not want a subscription game either because it has become particularly unacceptable for the majority of players. I do not believe that a game based entirely on cosmetics is viable for us. Whatever some believe, Ankama remains an independent company that does not launch games for 10 million euros. We are a team of 25 working on Dofus Cube. As a result, we prefer to work on content related to gameplay than spending hours on cosmetic items. For the moment, it is very vague. We think the best solution will be a mix of all that. From the sale of fragments but perhaps by limiting the number to buy every month to avoid large differences...
From the sale of Sidekicks also perhaps, for those who do not want to go to search/unlock them in the world...
No, frankly, we do not yet know exactly what we want to do on the subject. Even within the team, all opinions clash on the difference between a pay-to-win and a pay-to-fast... I quoted Supercell above and many of us think differently about their economic models. Personally, I hallucinate that players can spend several thousand euros every month... It shocks me... But for some people who play for free it goes cream because they go at their own pace and confront players of their level...
Even PC games that you buy for 60 euros all have in-app purchases now. I admit to being a little lost on the subject and need time to think about it. Especially since, more and more, game developers must integrate monetization directly into their work...

Will the loot be limited to fragments?

Not at all. We want to place the fragments in the center of the loots because they will allow (as explained in the note dedicated to them) to evolve your monsters, spells, Sidekicks... Therefore it will always be enjoyable to loot fragments because they serve in many cases. But this will not prevent to integrate other types of rewards (characters, resources, weapons, Kamas...)

What is the relationship between Wakfu Season 4 and Dofus Cube?
Will the game be released before Wakfu Season 4?
Will Oropo have a link with the features of the Haven Dimension?

I will answer your three questions with one answer. To explain what I want to do, I think I need to talk to you a bit about my/our motivations. When we launched ourselves on Dofus Cube, one of our first wishes was to start a little more from scratch on the Krosmoz universe. We decided to take our time to develop something that suits us to imagine a game that can be enriched with extensions over the years. We have multiplied games/projects around the Krosmoz universe and inevitably generated inconsistencies between the different media. And even if there is nothing very serious, finally, the various people working on the universe sometimes have trouble finding it, me first.
The desire was to start on a new game based more on animation and comic media and start on a sound basis. Attention, I'm not saying that we will throw in the trash everything that already exists in our current games. I'm just trying to explain to you that the best way for all of us to move forward is by emancipating a bit of each other in terms of history.
It does not mean that we are going to do anything and go in all directions, but that everyone will be more specific about a period of Krosmoz. We will discuss the major elements while developing our part of the timeline.
My deep desire with Dofus Cube is to start on a clean foundation. In fact, the link with Wakfu Season 4 is quite naturally compared to my workload. If I take this direction it is to be able, personally, produce more. Know that I hope to have good news next year regarding Wakfu Season 4. I cross my fingers so that the luck follows us again. And at the same time, I'm a bit scared because Dofus Cube is already taking me a lot of time. So I prepare a little ground by concentrating my efforts. It's been ten years since I work this way. I develop ideas around a story by trying to dispatch them on other media/projects.
When I was working on Wakfu Season 3 for example, I imagined the size of Oropo as the one we could offer in Dofus Cube. To answer one of the questions, Oropo will not appear directly in Dofus Cube but if you have seen Wakfu Season 3, you will have an idea of how your Haven Dimension will work. There will be small variations, but the concept will have been presented to you. Another example concerning Eliotropes. At the time of the OVA 3, using the power of the 6 Dofus, Yugo gives life to the Eliotropes. We knew in broad outline what we wanted to do and the frame of Wakfu Season 3 was already ready. In the same way, I know what I want to write for Wakfu Season 4. I do not want to play the master mind or the guy who tells you things 2-3 years in advance but it is the case and I try to reflect the events in each media on which I work. In fact I have thought a lot about this method of work and I think I can not do it otherwise. It is sometimes very frustrating because between what I write and when you discover the product, often several years go by.
That's why yes, Wakfu Season 4 will have a big relationship with Dofus Cube. Because it allows me to concentrate my efforts on the development of history.
By cons, I do not think that Wakfu Season 4 will arrive before Dofus Cube. It's simple, Dofus Cube is in production and its development depends only on us (people of Ankama). Conversely, Wakfu Season 4 requires co-producers. Ankama is not alone in deciding and waiting before having a go can sometimes be long. I confess that the more you go, the more I would like to find a way to use Crowdfunding platforms to go faster and deliver episodes more regularly...

What is the ultimate goal of the game in terms of scenario?

As a player, your ultimate goal will be to survive.
The era of Dofus: The world is doing well, it is opulence.
The era of Wakfu: First great cataclysm, the rise of the waters presages the end of the world.
The era of Dofus Cube: The big villains have fallen but the wars and clashes have been such that the world of 12 is about to disappear. Many creatures have disappeared and there is not enough space on the world to accommodate the different populations. Fortunately divine dimensions have been created (I will not tell you by whom) for you, the inhabitants of the world of 12 who are too...
There is of course a parallel with global warming and the misfortunes of refugees... I absolutely do not want to enter into debates on these subjects, our goal being to create entertainment. The idea is rather to leave feelings and to think a little.

As a player you will have your Haven Dimension that you will evolve. You will surely feel very good and you will realize that you are always welcome on the major nations that have survived. You can try to get a nationality but will you really want to? If Bonta, Amakna and the other nations accept you this will be for the simple reason that you are useful to them...

To this we would like (much later) to add a travel system in time. Much knowledge has been forgotten and you will have to travel in time to recover recipes, items and other valuable information. It will also be an opportunity for us, if all goes well, maybe and I say maybe, to reunite all eras. I think I have already told, I have the dream completely crazy to gather all the eras on one and the same game... But that's another story.

Release date of the game

It's almost impossible to give you a release date of the game. But I can tell you what we are planning. First of all, I think it will take us 2 to 3 years to do what we have in our heads. Or get close to what we have in our heads. This annoys Camille and myself. Being partners in Ankama, we are not comfortable with the idea of spending so much time on a project. Especially since the energy it asks of us is enormous and therefore forces us to devote ourselves to it to the detriment of other subjects (starting with the management of society). We are talking a lot about the best course of action and for a while we have imagined that the best solution would be to cut the game in half.
The idea would be to release a restricted version by the end of next year. We think this is playable if we focus on the Haven Dimension and PvP by putting aside the open world.
In pure game development, the longest will surely be the writing of Quests, NPC dialogues, design of level design. The decorators are well advanced on the city of Bonta and it will be beautiful. But when I see the time that it takes when we have not integrated anything yet, I think we have to be smarter...
I share our ideas/hypotheses with you but please, do not take everything as validated facts.

Does Dofus Cube cannibalize our other games?

I feel like I'm back 5 years back when we were about to launch Wakfu. The answer is no, I do not think so. Dofus players love Dofus as it is. They spent time on it and have their bearings there. Wakfu has not cannibalized Dofus and Dofus Touch has created such a buzz that it has brought back many players to Dofus on PC...

Will this blog exist after the release of Dofus Cube?

Yes of course. This is my personal blog. A few months before its release, Dofus Cube will have its own website and I will talk less about it. But that will not stop me from continuing to come here to discuss the game or other ongoing projects. I created this blog to discuss with you without taboos and find a dynamic. We have become very serious over the years at Ankama and I need this closeness with you. There is certainly nostalgia about our beginnings but also the fact that it gives me a regular appointment to present ideas and confront them. Our exchanges make me think, and personally, this proximity makes me feel good. It's hard to explain but I need it.

Edited by Gravestorm

Post from Tot's blog from February 1st, 2018.

Here is the eleventh and long awaited note of Dofus Cube. You have been many (at least 5) to point out to me that the pace had dropped well and you are right. It was me who promised you, mouth in heart, one article per week, I admit I have not been very prolific these last 2 months. But before throwing me a stone, you must understand that I am in a particular situation. I'm not going to tell you about my terrible diary, the tornado of sharks that fell on Ankama (which I narrowly missed), because I was kidnapped for two weeks by members of a mexico-roubais cartel, or my eye contracted gastroenteritis following the reading (too much) of an article on the industry of the video games. No, these topics are part of my daily life and can not be a real excuse. But then, what is the concern? Why Tot? Why did you slow down? Well, because I'm caught between friends, worse than a Michael Bay movie. Strangely, things are progressing quite well and we are talking a lot about strategy regarding Dofus Cube. Grosso merdo, it becomes serious. And by becoming serious, the team starts to give me (in the atrium) instructions on what I can say, and what I cannot say... We start slowly to explain that I must not spoil everything... Meuherdeuh... But I launched this blog to be able to say what I want (there, I must imagine myself as a little child, eyes on the ground because we just scolded him). So, firstly I have to start watching the order in which I'm going to announce/present things to you, and secondly, always related to the fact that the project is going well, I... I'm working. Yes it happens to me, on average 2 months a year and there is the big period. I try to advance a maximum because it will stop in March, when the love will begin (there you can imagine that I will have the head elsewhere).

So, I will not hide that I'm still a little excited. There have been several months of gestation/reflection to be sure to make the right choices of game design, but since the fall, the choices are engraved in the plaster and the macro decisions are frozen in place. So, of course I'll have to make a little update of the final choices because compared to what I explained to you in the previous 10 notes, everything has changed completely. We start on a solo hack & slash on DS... You control Raoul Tofu (armed with a sword of souls and milk) who has been stolen his favourite pen by one of the last American Indians... No, it's a joke, in truth, there are not so many things that have changed.

For its part, Arnaud the lead decor (and my nemesis Badminton) worked on the test interfaces for the fight. The decor team has progressed well in the city of Bonta, the animators have made some very nice animations of NPCs (as beautiful as in our sneak peaks) and we test the concepts of the game with a boardgame prototype. The developers have... They made code? Finally we do not care, they have probably done a lot of stuff and in the worst case, we all know that in a game, the code is not what is most important (thank you little Jesus).
In short, all this to tell you that it is moving forward and it feels good. I feel the moment arrive slowly when, past the preliminaries of creation, everything fits in the right way... This magic moment where we feel the first rays of pleasure, often accompanied by a "Oh... Oh yes! It works!!!". Obviously, I can not wait to share these beautiful experiences with you.
I also appreciate your feedback on my existential questions (video or not video?) And I will follow the advice of some by staying quite far from it. The idea is to launch one from time to time when the subject really justifies it.

In short, there are many things going on and here is the program of the next notes:

Point on graphics and animation.

A big note on the prototype version of the boardgame that I will present in Cannes (the note will surely arrive the following week).

A return on the interfaces worked by Arnaud.

At the earliest, a video of a fight in game.

A detailed note on the Kickstarter we want to launch late October - early November.

This is what awaits us in the main lines until mid-March.

But back to our sheep, today's note is about music. Our friend Pitch started some tests and despite his reluctance to listen (I had to break his wrist to get them) we still have some sounds. On this occasion I asked him to write me a note:

Pitch: The music of Dofus Cube is based on a writing that is in the tradition of the Ankamian MMOs, that is to say, very orchestral. The wish is also to change the colour a little and to renovate the style to have something more cinematographic. After all, Dofus Cube being placed chronologically after Wakfu, it seemed necessary that there be a musical evolution going hand in hand with the graphic proposal of the game.
For the moment, we have gone on 5 major themes each aligning with the 5 great nations of the Worlds of 12 (Bonta, Brakmar, Sufokia, Astrub and Amakna).

Musician:

Capture-d%E2%80%99e%CC%81cran-2018-02-01

Each nation will have its own themes and orchestrations related, of course with its characteristics:

Bonta is the nation of good, a nation where loyalty, honesty and bravery hold an important place. We have opted for the moment for very solemn, majestic colors. Thus we will have women's choruses for lightness, lyrical flights of strings, brass for the epic aspect and a solo cello for the majestic side.

Bonta Music:

Bonta Exploration Sounds:

Brakmar being the nation of the filouterie and the point of fall of brigands of all kinds, we opted for men's choirs to have a dark rendering. The staccatos of ropes make it possible to represent the strength and the barbarism of its inhabitants. The orchestral hits punctuate the theme so that the player is never really quiet in these countries. The brass stand is the highlight of the main theme for the serious, metallic and epic side. Note that there is a nod to Wakfu Season 1 in the orchestration.
(Tot's Note:
Pitch, women for the good side, men for the bastards, it's nice, it's on track with the news, at least nobody's going to bitch about this to us).

Brakmar Music:

Brakmar Exploration Sounds:

Sufokia is the nation of the seas, we sought to give it a more crystalline side with elements of sound synthesis. There is a very Avatar side in the children's chorus and the Duduk reinforces the exotic side of this nation.

Sufokia Music:

Concerning the in game music, we are moving towards something quite minimalist, even if the rough drafts do not show it, a bit like the Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild. The soundtrack of this latest opus is not the best of the lineage but they managed to get a good mix between the musical presence and the soundscape (the music is not too invasive but punctual enough to be heard). We have a bit of the same problem with Dofus Cube because the player will spend time exploring. The idea is to have a minimalist sound and a musical atmosphere.

Finally, we plan to integrate musical elements to the sets, geography or even gameplay. For example, we could start a small pattern of music when the player moves to a hidden place or next to an inn.

Regarding combat music, for now, the idea is to follow the number of turns played as interactive music mechanics. The more intense the fight, the more the layers will overlap. Thus we will have two diametrically opposed systems: the very simple and minimalist exploration, and the much more intense combat.

As Pitch told me, of course, it's the start for him. We have worked a lot together in the past because this guy is responsible (among other things) for most of the sounds you hear in our movies and series. Whether it's the movie Dofus or the Wakfu series. I recently discovered his musical talents and I welcome him to the Dofus Cube team.

1 person likes this

Really excited for this!!!

Post from Tot's blog from February 9th, 2018.

I try, somehow, to resume the rhythm of a note being published weekly. So here we are. Today, I'm going to talk to you about the combat interfaces and take the opportunity to give you an update on the adjustments/modifications that we made on the fights themselves.
I take this opportunity to thank Arnaud for his work on interfaces. Arnaud is one of the "dads" of Ankama and it is always a pleasure to see him advance on such important parts. Because in addition to being an excellent graphic designer, Arnaud has a rare faculty, that of thinking of the video game as a video game.
How is that very stupid what I just said? Well, maybe a little, so I need to clarify. The biggest difficulty that we can encounter when designing a video game is to bring together teams that will shoot in the same direction. In fact, and many will be able to confirm it to you, each team often tries to pull the blanket towards themselves. It's natural, but it's also what makes things quickly become complicated technically.
You may need a concrete example... Well, imagine that for the decorators of a video game, the most important thing is the quality/beauty of the sets, whatever the cost. You will almost want to answer "normal bah, they are asked to make sets." Well I answer you no, not normal. The most important thing for a decorator is to merge, as best as he can, his decorations with the macro vision of the project. That they do one with the game design, the characters, that they adapt with the engine of the game...
Well, know that it's not nearly as obvious as that. So Arnaud, I like him because he is precisely the kind of person who adapts his work according to the needs. He sorts, analyzes, compares, makes and redoes proposals and if it does not fit into the global cohesion, he will start again... I know he does not like us talking about him so, in case he reads (I must be able to cope because he does not like reading too much), I'll stop there. Just be aware that the interfaces I'm going to show you are the result of his work.

Of course it is only a model, but it is largely clean enough for me to present it to you. By cons I will not do honor to his work on ergonomics. Indeed, the work he has done is a SWF with which I can interact. But not being able to place it here, I'm going to cut it out and make some pictures to explain how a fight works.

In this first image you will see all the information needed for a fight. Do not pay attention to the options button at the bottom right, it will change. We spent a lot of time discussing the best position regarding interfaces. It may seem like nothing, but I guarantee you it's a hell of a headache. This is certainly the part that took us the most time on Krosmaga. In the same way, we are working on Unity and to avoid doing and redoing and thus losing precious weeks we agreed with the devs to provide them with completed models and tested in flash before they start with the customer development (dev note that read: thank you!). This allows us to see if things are not clear:

Capture-d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran-2018-02-09-

In this second image I show you where your interface is and where the opponent's information is. We wanted to place the information in the shape of an L, on the left being everything that belongs to you and on the other side what corresponds to your opponent. This allows to transcribe the side of "confrontation/opposition", a little like launching part of a fighting game:

Your corner is divided into 3 groups of interfaces:

Sidekicks: These are extremely important in combat and rely solely on your elemental gauges. When you construct your character's build, you will have to choose 9 spells out of 50. Then you will have to decide on your element. Are you going to prefer a mono element game, bi element or even try to play up to 3-4 elements? The concept is pretty simple, the spells you play increase the gauge of the element they are associated with. Each Water spell will increase the Water gauge (the first of the 4 horizontally placed square blocks at the bottom left). And the Sidekicks summon themselves by spending those gauge points. It will therefore be very careful to select Sidekicks that are related to your spells. If you opt for a single element of Water and you only have Earth Sidekicks, you will not go far.

Elementary Gauges and AP Gauge: I am not going to describe to you today all the possibilities that the elementary gauges offer. As I've said above, they already allow you to summon Sidekicks, and just for that, they are essential to your game, but they will allow many other things in connection with your style of play (lose more AP if you have at least 5 points in your Water gauge for example).
To the far right of the four elementary gauges, you have the AP gauge. I'm not teaching you anything, this one will allow you to cast your spells. This is the circle of life... The AP gauge allows you to cast your spells... Your spells allow you to increase your elementary gauges... Your elementary gauges allow you to summon your Sidekicks... Your Sidekicks allow you to break the jaw... of your opponent.

Spells: You already know a little about how they work and we did not re-invent the wheel on this subject. Below, I've put a page of Iop spells to give you an idea of what they can do:

So the most picky of you will blame me for not having spoken about the name and the little icon on the bottom left. Well, simply, the idea is to leave a location for a guild.

There is also an interface that you do not see in the images yet and that you will discover later. The reserve of power, this is a class specific reserve and we have not put it forward here. I will tell you about it when I will be explaining the first documents of graphical design of spells in the later notes.

Through these few explanations, I hope you will understand that we are not looking for the epate but readability with the interfaces. I did not speak about this during the note, but one of the big difficulties on this part is to realize something simple, which can work as well on computers as on mobiles. We dream of only having to change the size of the interfaces according to the needed support... And we will soon know if this will be viable.

I hope you have appreciated this note and that it has allowed you to see more precisely in which direction we are heading. I wish you a good weekend and see you next week for a note that I think will be devoted to the NPCs.

Edited by Gravestorm

Post from Tot's blog from February 20th, 2018.

I hope that you are well and that the cold of this month does not ruin your good mood too much. We leave Thursday for Cannes to present some projects at the game show. And of course, in these novelties is a prototype of Dofus Cube oriented around 1v1 fights. The good news is that Kam will be with us (for once he moves his ass, I propose that we offer him a "cyber ola"). The cool part is that we will be able to play with you for 2 days by taking turns. Kam will play against Krosmaster professionals, experienced guys, and I will be playing against children under 10 years old.
In any case, we can not wait to present "euchtruc" and have your feedback. It is only a small prototype, but I hope it will give you an idea. Well, the bad news is that the figurines out of the machine are quite fragile, we will do the demos with Krosmaster ones. The good news is that it works well and that it may be, later, a Krosmaster mode could surface for those who do not want to re-invest in 25,000 figurines.
For those who can not come, no worries, we will make a video explanation of the rules soon. Finally when I say soon, you start to know me, it will be rather first week of March.
In Cannes, I will also take the opportunity to present the game Chicken Touch and do 1 or 2 games.

At the last note I told you that the next would be about NPCs and that's what we're going to talk about today. But before I start to post the beautiful work of our animators, I will make a small point with you on the situation of the project and what we are developing.

So, it's rare enough that I say it but I find that Dofus Cube is advancing very well. I think we made a huge leap forward last week. We discussed a lot of topics, but most importantly, we have come a long way on the game loop. It may sound silly, but we can be satisfied with 10,000 things, if in the end, the different topics do not bind well to each other, the production will go into a spin. So we advanced on this famous loop. But, some will ask me: "what is the loop?". Well, dear friends, this is the recurring journey that the player will make. In any case, that's how I define it in our projects. The loop is therefore to imagine the chain of actions of the player and to make sure that all is fluid. The game modes are to be taken into account, the interfaces must facilitate the whole and everything must be natural. On our side, it was therefore to leave the Haven Dimension (one per player, remember) and to imagine the sequences as fluid as possible. Haven Dimension being the hotspot of the player, the place where he still does not end up after doing quests, the little secret garden in which he can rest and invite his friends, we spent a lot of time to rationalize this part.
This is particularly important because we will do everything to offer you a first version of the game at the end of the year. Of course, saying end of year says limited content. The open world, for example, will not be able to be present. This is just one example among many others but it is to explain that even if you will have access to a simplified version, we must, for our part, think about all the features present in the future. Yes, my friends, because the experience has taught us to be wary of updates, especially when the game design is full of novelties that were not planned at the start of the project. So to return to "the loop", the idea was to properly predict the actions of the player and define the interfaces as functions of the latter. Last week was particularly exciting because we have the feeling of getting something convincing. The report for Haven Dimension/1v1 PvP/Deck Management/Dungeon Management/Garden Management (oh yes, that's a new thing that I'll talk about soon)... seems fluid.
If I were to summarize the importance of the loop, I would say that when satisfied, the first sentence that comes to my mind is there is more to it. And there is more to it means we just have to produce. Producing is long and sometimes complicated, but it does not require the same energy as having to visualize the macro vision of the game.
In short, all this to say that we are doing well and that personally, I am more and more satisfied with the turn of production.

Speaking of production, Emilie (Kia from her nickname) has just joined us as a project manager. She will help us structure the different features and especially, plan the main lines of the project. I welcome her to our team.

I hope this little entry did not make you sleepy. I propose you to move to the main dish: NPCs. You will see, these are mostly animations. First of all, you should know that for each character, the animated gifs present below are a simple sequence of their animations. In Dofus Cube, I already explained to you that we wanted a very alive universe, close to the life that we can put in our series and films. In this context the richness of the animations is very important. And for this to work, as well as to have surprises in the game, the animations of an NPC will be triggered randomly. It's partly, I think, what will bring life to this universe. You will be able to walk around the world and follow a fisherman to see how he behaves/lives.

Below you will find some of Bonta's NPCs. I let you taste their behavior before coming back to you for the last word:

Marin.gif

MarinFilet.gif

3Gamins.gif

Crieur_Mascotte.gif

Garde.gif

Mouette.gif

Petite_Vieille.gif

PorteuseDeau.gif

Soiffard.gif

Vendeuse_Melons.gif

PetiteVieille_Pigeons.gif

Pecheur_Endormi.gif

I hope that you like these animations, and above all, that they allow you to understand where our ambition regarding this part lies. I know that I often repeat myself on this subject, but we dream to make Dofus Cube a mix between video game and cartoon.
But it's not just NPC animations that will give that feeling. In most games, be it AAA or old console RPGs, NPCs are often under-considered. They are a mandatory step for this or that quest, but they are rarely part of the storyline of the game. We would love to be able to change that and not have fixed NPCs in their behavior. We will try to develop something special by creating NPCs that evolve according to your actions. I will not go into too much detail, but the idea is also to create surprise in the relationship you will have with them. For example, the NPC who nets his net may have a small mission to propose to you when you go to Bonta. Rather than always having the same quest that will buckle, the idea is that it can (for example) come visit you when you will have accomplished a very precise action (end of some Dungeon/first voyage at sea...). I would like each NPC to have many secret quests that can be unlocked progressively.
If we succeed in achieving something that goes in this direction, not only will the players never experience the same adventures, but NPCs will become important characters that you will need to know. You must remember that one NPC is a crook, another trustworthy... In the end, if we succeed, you will remember each one of them. Here are some ideas that we will try to develop in the coming months.