• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
  • Announcements

• Rob

Merry IMPSMAS 2017!   12/07/17

There's 35mk up for grabs this year along with an Atanip hat & cape! 'Click Here' for your chance to win.  Yule regret missing out.
Gravestorm

Dofus 3 (Dofus Cube)

107 posts in this topic

dofus 3.0? just another game i get to be the best at

1 person likes this

On 28.11.2016 at 3:22 AM, ReaperSurm said:

Product cannibalization at its finest ;) 

^this.

Aiming the same customers with two competitive products of the same company :D :D :D

W H Y ? :O 

They'd probably be okay with dropping Dofus 2, though the playerbase wouldn't really like that, as well as Dofus 3 being different enough to keep it separate.

That Eca :)

Edited by Fives

looks meh will probably just die

1 person likes this

Firstly, they can't drop Dofus 2. It wouldn't make any sense (though, wouldn't put it past ankama). 

To drop Dofus 2 and open a Dofus 3 is illogical, might as well just call it something different (like Wakfu was from Dofus). The second the decide to drop dofus 2 for dofus 3 with no compensation or transferability (like in dofus 1 --> 2), they'll be a sinking ship.

1. You just dropped dofus 2, pissed off thousands of people.

--> goes a great deal into showing how much you care about your players = great deterrent for major investments. 

2. Those people you pissed off will have better marketing skills that Ankama (proven by point 3) and will shit on any attempts they make.

3. They have tried to introduce mechanics to make leveling up easier (for newbs), improving lower level phases blah blah, and made a real effort in introducing new regular players, that can join the ranks of us pros in a year or so (or quicker if they aren't shit). So to destroy dofus (2), is admitting failure on basically all their attempts to keep the game running (they might as well say "Hi im ankama im bad businessman")

4. Games follow a pattern. New game, hype, mass players, games dies off. Just look at basically every xbox/ps game all hugely popular then you get those kids that sit in their basement for the next 15 years playing CoD just cuz. Look at WoW biggest mmrpg (i think?) or runescape etc huge amount of players, then they die down and eventually settle at a steadyish number. Like fuck, people are still playing pacman. 

--> This is why ankama likes the prospect of dofus 3 (it may look appealing on paper at first glance) but it'll end up just like dofus, but again, you'd die down and have a small amount of regular players. Only difference is, instead of making 2 games and having 2 sets of regulars (with some product cannibalization)  you'd lose one set entirely + all the regulars from dofus 2 (who would have also played dofus 3) give the birdy to ankama.

So. 

Dofus 2 = 100% regulars.

Dofus 3 (but different name) = 100% regulars

Cannibalization (Cross over) = let's say like 20%. 

So overall two products with different names = 180%  of people. 

vs.

Dofus 2 = 100%

Dofus 3 = 100%

Cannibalization (even higher because same name = exact same target) = 50%

So overall dofus 2 + 3 = 150% of regulars.

In the grander scheme of things, 1st option is the only viable one. 

I normally don't even give a shit about changes, cuz w/e. But this bad business is triggering me on a whole new level. 

Edited by ReaperSurm
4 people like this

I like some of the character designs but some don't make sense either I'm just really use to dofus 2 I would like graphics like these but a horse with a cra head is just silly xd and to differtent from me to go from dofus 2 to dofus 3 with a differtent combat system

1 person likes this

You don't go from Dofus 2 to Dofus 3

From what I understand, you're not supposed to "migrate" to the new game

They are completely different, separate games

That's like saying that you don't like Wakfu since its different to Dofus and you don't want to have to move :p

1 person likes this

Thing is though this game looks like wakfu to me I kind of like wakfu but they don't care to fix bugs or the classes or the pvp system and lack of anything to do late game so I stick with dofus 2 or simply just 1.29

i dont like wakfu this looks to me like wakfu 2 more than dofus 3

I think wakfu has beautiful graphics and classes look unique some spells are nice but Idk really how I feel about dofus 3 design on if you use a certain spell changes how your character looks 

Some of that concept Artwork is incredible.

1 person likes this

still news about dofus 3? :( im hyped af 

Waiting for more information on Dofus 3.0 :(

Will Dofus 3.0 be similar to Wakfu/Dofus in terms of content and combat system? Or is it going to be castle clash??? Because there are rumors going around, in the streams I watch that it's just going to be similar to those terrible mobile games like castle clash (no offense, if you actually play it........)

Everything is in the thread, combat will be like Final Fantasy Tactics (so like Dofus), payment model will be like Dofus Touch, content, at least for now, is mostly small areas focused on Dungeons.

zzzzzz, waiting for dofus 3 like...  Afbeeldingsresultaat voor skeleton meme

1 person likes this

You probably will revive this topic for more 2 years before even the beta is released

1 person likes this

I feel bad for bumping this, but a lot of the concept art featured in the initial post was used in the new Krosmaga expansion. Who even knows if the game is still in development...

The name of the Dofus 3.0 game will be Dofus cube?

Don't think of it as Dofus 3, it isn't a replacement for Dofus 2, whatever it is.

They are just releasing a new game called Dofus Cube (it seems), set in the same universe, obviously.

Back to Table of Contents.

Post from Tot's blog from September 21st, 2017.

Hello everyone,
As promised I will share here
, among other projects, the various advances concerning Dofus Cube/Dofus 3.

To answer some questions,
I work at Ankama and that will not change anytime soon. I wanted to launch this blog to integrate you to the evolutions going on with our new projects. And over the years, I have understood that many of you do not necessarily like to be told anything other than the game they spend time on. My main objective is to be able to talk to you about some of the projects that we develop without, however, "breaking the feet" of those who are not interested. The oldest will remember, this is how we did it 15 years ago on Dofus. Of course, there is also a small part of nostalgia in this process, but above all for me, the goal is to share our first ideas and collect feedback.

Obviously, we will have to project ourselves, because during the first months, we will have to explain our concepts in the form of articles. This may be a very complicated exercise but it is also what interests me because I will have the obligation to be precise in my explanations...

Detailed concept of this approach

The objective is to share all our research, whether graphical or related to the rules of the game. For the most assiduous, you will have a very good idea of the project before its release. I will therefore share with you, every week, all our documents on this blog. In the meantime, if a Dofus 3 site takes over, we will always be able to shift. I would like to present you a concept of the game per week and as soon as the time comes to make you test the project via prototypes.

I hope to have been clear about the intentions of this approach and I would love it to let you experience the adventure with us. I just want to make clear that all the visuals you see will change/evolve. I ask you not to focus on it, but rather on concepts.

Let us now return to the heart of the matter.

The MACRO view of Dofus 3

For this first article, I will try to present the project in a macro way. Know that the hardest (at least from my point of view) is to have an overall vision of a project before tackling its production. This is extremely difficult because we are always subject to this small internal voice that drives us to continually change what we are starting to put in place. This is tragic because it is one of the big reasons why many games explode deadlines (thus budgets) and are killed in the bud. In the animation scene, two people working together on a feature film can define the final rendering and give a clear direction to a team of several hundred people. It is quite simple, the story (the script) sets the tone of the whole and the storyboard confirms/amplifies the intentions. When you have an animated storyboard, you know (just about ready) what to expect (although obviously, animation projects have their own issues). In the field of game industry, it is more complicated because there is the layer of development and its surprises. I am convinced that before going to production, the set of MACRO concepts of a game must be defined. Otherwise, you can be certain that you will have to repeat the development
countless times. I speak with knowledge... I terrorized dozens of unhappy and innocent developers with better ideas overnight. Sometimes to realize that these better ideas were not so better... And end up being forced to go back. I am not proud of this, but still today I wonder how we could have done otherwise to "learn"... One of my wishes in sharing our documents with you is also to force me to keep a guideline.

The MACRO vision is therefore of extreme importance. We have been thinking about what we want to do for over a year now. You will discover it and say "oh, ok, why not...". But know that we have made docs... And docs... And docs... To arrive at these conclusions that you will discover every week.

We began by asking ourselves thousands of questions. What is still current in our games? What is less so? Do players prefer to play 1 character or a group of characters? Are traveling around the world not really boring? Was it more fun when there was more regular drops of objects? I've read a lot of your feedback on the forums, discussed it with some... There was a phase of trying to understand. Because I must admit, to redo a new MMO with the same rules that we had for 15 years is not viable. So it was necessary to question and try to understand the trend... Especially as this type of development takes a lot of time and it is better to be in phase with what we propose.

And then revelation. Finally, when I say revelation it would be more of an idea that takes over all the rest: We want the game to be playable on mobiles and computers. Here is a first certainty... So, from this last idea we built, brick by brick project. And these are the bricks that I will try to present to you gradually.

So that you understand these MACRO concepts I will start from the beginning. And this beginning is linked to Wakfu season 3 and more precisely to the character of Oropo.

Haven-Dimension (Haven-Cube in documents)

Dofus 3 takes place many years after Wakfu season 3. For reasons I can not explain without spoiling, you only need to know that the World of Twelve is in a catastrophic state. Despite the defeat of Ogrest, the planet is covered with water and only the great cities remain.

Most residents (players) live in a Haven Dimension. Each player thus begins the game in his own Haven-Dimension. They can make it evolve by adding various zones: social, dungeon, etc.

This is the most important concept to get started. Each player has their own Haven Dimension. And it is from this Haven Dimension and the Zaaps that they can choose the type of game that suits him best (mobile or computer).

To respect the constraints of mobiles, we left Haven Dimension rather small. They are composed of 8 large cubes that we call the major cubes.

Below, some explanatory visuals:

01-2.png

02.png

The 8 major cubes unfold according to the player's choice of the zone and can display a playground of a minimum of 36 boxes and go up to 72 boxes. You will see some example here:

Arnaud, Poolay, Jérôme, Mojojo and Olivier have produced the following images. Bonta roughs were produced by Poolay.

Example of a social zone:

Capture-d%E2%80%99e%CC%81cran-2017-09-21

Asynchronous Combat in a Level 1 Dungeon Room => 4 Major Blocks => 36 Boxes:

01_Arene_Cimetierefond03-1.jpg

02_Arene_CHAMPSfond05_A-1.jpg

Asynchronous combat in a level 2 dungeon room => 6 major blocks => 54 spaces:

01_Arene_Cimetierefond06_kermit-1.jpg

02_Arene_CHAMPSfond05_B-1.jpg

Arenes_bonta-1.jpg

Asynchronous Combat in a Level 1 Dungeon Room => 6 Major Blocks => 54 Boxes:

16_cim_3eSalle-1.jpg

As you can see, the cube unfolds to offer a combat zone adapted to the level of the room. As you can see, Haven Dimension is floating. As the Oropo dimension, it is out of the world of 12.

Map view from above of the open world, closer to our classic MMOs:

StructureBonta01.jpg

Isometric view of the open world:

StructureBonta_PersMicro_ALL.jpg

The Zaaps

What is extremely important to retain on this first explanation is that the players will have 3 modes of play directly available from the Zaaps.

Zaap 1 => Allows to fight in asynchronous. Players will attack Haven Dimension Dungeons built by other players. The fighting must last 3 to 5 minutes maximum. There is a farming side in this mode and this is certainly here that the mobile players will spend the most time.

Zaap 2 => Allows to launch PvP combat. 1vs1 on mobile and 2vs2/3vs3 reserved for computer players.

Zaap 3 => Allows to go to the cities of the World of Twelve. The zones are however much smaller than on our MMO and we place there many cozy large dungeons whose experience will exceed the hour of play. there is no more fighting possible in the open world as is the case in Dofus and Wakfu. Players who want to "farm" can do so by attacking other players' Haven Dimension dungeons.

It is crucial to understand this basic concept and its implications. Our most important goal is to allow players to have a gaming experience of their own (mobile or computer). Players will be able to do many small fights during the day on their mobiles, when their schedule allows it, and embark on big adventures at home behind their computer.

Back to Table of Contents.

Edited by Gravestorm
2 people like this

Very interesting post, the separation between casual mobile gamers and PC gamers is well thought. Eager to learn more about this project!