• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
  • Announcements

• Rob

Include a selling / offering price   06/11/17

A reminder that all marketplace topics (with exception to Real Estate) should include either selling or offering price. Click Here.
Gravestorm

Sacrier Revamp Devblog

70 posts in this topic
The Sacrier was the last class on the list for a revamp in 2016, and is meant to finish off the year in style.

588423.jpg

Just like we saw in the Eniripsa and Osamodas revamps, the Sacrier has some damage spell weaknesses that are the result of a very limited range of elemental spells: only the Water path fares a little better with 2 spells, while the other 3 paths have only one. What’s more, the Sacrier’s capacity to absorb damage dwindles as the power of monsters increases. When this is combined with almost exclusively short-distance attack spells it makes the class highly vulnerable to high level content. In addition, these spells are starting to be a little too old and inefficient in comparison to the other recently revamped classes. All in all, this makes a convincing argument for revamping the Sacrier class from top to bottom.

The Sacrier’s roles have always been clearly identified and will be reinforced: positioning, damage and, above all, the capacity to receive hits in place of their allies.

In this revamp, we try to strengthen the roles fulfilled by the Sacrier while making each of them more challenging and compatible with each other (without blocking them like with the Masqueraiders) while also improving the different elemental paths.

Punishments

The basic function of punishments hasn’t really changed in years, maybe even since the class was established: it consists of receiving hits to be able to inflict even harder hits. There has been one punishment per element and an additional one that never really proved its efficiency: the Vital Punishment.

We would like to undo this elemental punishment system and move towards a system that gives each punishment a role from among those three that are traditionally the  Sacrier’s, and which will considerably improve the Sacrier’s capacity to fulfil said role, while making them generally less effective in the two others.

As such, there are three punishments:

• Voyager’s Punishment: A punishment that improves the positioning role. It makes it easier to cast spells from a distance but also decreases the caster’s vitality.
    chatiment-voyageur.jpg

• Scathing Punishment: A punishment that improves the damage inflicting role. It increases the Sacrier’s potential for damage, but also makes them less resistant.
    chatiment-ecorche-1.jpg
    chatiment-ecorche-2.jpg

• Survivor’s Punishment: A punishment that improves the tank role. It increases the Sacrier’s vitality and allows them to add a life steal effect on some spells. In return, they inflict less damage.

To these effects we add a new mechanism that reinforces each Punishment: if the Sacrier is low on health at the start of their turn, their appearance is modified and the effects of the punishments are reinforced, making them more dangerous.

Obviously, the Sacrier cannot cumulate the effects of several Punishments but they can switch between them every turn, depending on what they want to achieve. Furthermore, the Sacrier can also decide to play without using any punishment if they do not want to suffer the penalties. To do so, they just have to cast the active punishment once again to undo its effects.

sacri01.gif
Scathing Punishment
sacri02.gif
Voyager’s Punishment

Elemental Spells

Following the same logic as Punishments, each elemental path has 3 spells, and each reinforce a particular role. However, the Earth path has been removed to allow other paths to have more spells without reducing the Sacrier's range of utility spells.

There are no restrictions on elemental spells: each can be cast independently from the active Punishment. 

Air Element

Spells for this path are focused on movement and position switching: it is the mobility path. It allows the Sacrier to move around the map more easily while inflicting damage.

• Assault: The spell has been revamped and now lets you switch places with a target in close range, while also causing Air damage.
  • Light Body: Inflicts damage at close range and gives 1 MP to the caster each time.
  • Light Speed: Teleports caster in a line and causes Air damage in the cells crossed. If the Sacrier’s health is low, they will earn a Dodge bonus.

Fire Element

The spells for this path are the most powerful in terms of damage, but they also injure the Sacrier. Their effects are not limited to simple damage-dealing and can prove very effective in a group fight.

• Blood Bath: The caster inflicts Fire damage on themselves while also dealing it to an enemy. Allies in contact with the target are healed. If the Sacrier is near death, then their healing potential is increased.
  • Motivational Pain: Inflicts Fire damage on the caster and to any enemies in the spell's area of effect. Gives the caster a damage bonus for one turn.
  • Blood Loss Ritual: The caster inflicts Fire damage on themselves while also dealing it to an enemy. Reduces the target’s mobility.

Water Element

The spells for this path allow the Sacrier to spring to the center of a melee and increase their resistance to damage. If the spells for this element are used in combination with Survivor’s Punishment, they will all benefit from a life steal effect.

• Absorption: Steals life based on Water element.
  • Projection: Takes the Sacrier closer to the target and deals Water damage to the target.
  • Safe Position: Deals Water damage and reduces enemy mobility. If the Sacrier is near death, then they become more resistant

Utility Spells

• The effects of Evasion, Punishment and Life Transfer stay the same: the first allows the Sacrier to dodge a close-combat attack, while the second deals damage based on the Sacrier's health. Lastly, the third one transfers some of the caster’s health to nearby allies.
  • Flying Sword has been changed to adapt to the Sacrier’s active punishment; its characteristics are going to be altered based on the active punishment.
  • Punishment
  • Attraction still attracts a target, obviously. But it also transfers some of the Sacrier’s health to the target in the form of healing if it is an ally, and in the form of damage if it is an enemy.
  • Transposition now functions on allies as well as enemies and has the same special effect as Attraction, based on whether the target is an ally or an enemy.
  • Bodyguard replaces the Sacrifice spell. It allows the Sacrier to receive damage instead of an ally, but the damage suffered during its effect is magnified.
  • Invigorating Sacrifice allows the caster to sacrifice some of their ability to cause damage in order to regenerate health.
  • Self Sacrifice: The caster loses health points in order to cause damage in an area around them.

Characteristics Update

This is the last class that needed to be updated on this score, so we have taken this revamp as an opportunity to standardize the softcaps on characteristics. The Chance, Strength, Intelligence and Agility characteristics now have the following softcaps:

• 1 for 1 from 1 to 100
  • 2 for 1 from 101 to 200
  • 3 for 1 from 201 to 300
  • 4 for 1 from 301 upwards

Vitality remains at 1 for 1 and Wisdom remains at 3 for .

So, the Sacrier will no longer have the possibility to have more vitality than other classes using the repartion of their characteristics points. This will be compensated by the removal of the Erosion penalty on Punishment spells and a gain in vitality when using the Survivor’s Punishment. Furthermore, this gives Sacriers more choice in how they can distribute their characteristics and no longer limits them to investing everything in Vitality.

These changes will be available in the 2.39 Beta, so feel free to come try them out and tell us what you think.

Please note that some of the spell names used in this Devblog are not final and may change before release.

1 person likes this

what the fork.. ggw-fk'n-p

a-picture-of-the-circulatory-system.jpg

muscular-system.jpg

nervous-system-diagram.png

Waw nice char points. +1

Great update ankama, might aswell update the look of Sacrier with a rope around their neck.
Senks 4 doing such a great job! ^_____^ 

4 people like this

int/agi spells are basically wakfu sacriers, are they not?

3 people like this

Hey Quadro, :^) dat moment ur set became invalid in just 1 post by ankama xddddddddddddd gg. 

12 people like this

giphy.gif

31 people like this

What the fuck

Expected more of this rework but we'll see if its actually fun/viable on beta.

Edited by The-Created

Actually excited to play my Sacrier for the first time in years.

1 person likes this

giphy.gif

These needs to be posted more.

For those of who are curious, here is my post from the OF, where I broke down the announcment and gave my criticism.

Spoiler

No, this is bad. Thanks, you just ruined Sacriers forever for me, big time. I don't think I am exaggerating. This basically makes it so that I have little reason to play any further.

What Ankama needed to do was strengthen the utility that Sacriers had, by adding damage to trans/coop/attraction, giving them a bit of extra range, and consolidating punishments into ones for damage, movement, and tankiness. They needed to directly address what players thought made them weak for a few of the endgame dungeons (because other than that, Sacriers were great) in order to improve their quality of life basically. Erosion honestly was not the issue in those situations. It was problematic, sure, but it wasn't what made tanking/playing tough there for sacriers, it was the lack of specialization/simple survivability. Instead, they just deleted the class and carried over a few of the spells, from Dofus and Wakfu.

1)The Punishments are fugly. Not just graphically, but from a design standpoint as well. This sort of gameplay, changing states just like Osamodas, makes absolutely NO SENSE for Sacriers. While an Osamodas might change states to imitate a certain type of creature, or a Masq might change mask to adopt a different fight style, it doesn't make sense for Sacriers to change things up. They're more like Iops or Cras - they stay the same, meatshielding berserkers, but have the utility to swing things in their favour. THAT was what Ankama needed to do.

2)The removal of the earth build feels like a huge blow. Sacriers have always been able to capitalize on weakness to any element, not just for damage, but to tank better by stealing HP. This isn't the worst possible thing that could happen, but losing elemental versatility feels really awful, as I've almost always played an omni sacrier that could handle pretty much any group of monsters.

3)The air spells are copied over from Wakfu, but I'm sad to see the "Motion Sickness" mechanic didn't get copied over. Fire spells - I have no issue, these are also copied over from Wakfu and still kind of fit the class. Water spells: these are okay, Projection reminds me of that one fist attack from Wakfu. I would have even preferred these to be More similar to the wakfu earth spells, which all added durability to the sacrier in the form of coagulation iirc.

4) The utility spells: these should have been the main focus of a Sacrier revamp, in addition to adding more ranged damage. Most of these things I predicted, but one I did not was "Bodyguard". Why on earth would sacrificing a target make the caster take even more damage? It's bad enough when you take into account the next point..

5) The characteristic points. I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, sure, if you played Sacrier, you pretty much Had to go full vitality, it was the best choice, most often. I can see why Ankama would change this to make players feel they have more options.
On the other hand though... if you played Sacrier, you didn't mind this, at all. You go into this class or keep playing this class knowing full well your stat points were going into vit, and you were fine with it.. or you liked it, that was the point after all! You were going to use a punishment or two, tank some hits, and gain the stats that way, and enjoy having a huge HP pool to draw from.

6)This is the last and most important criticism. For a revamp to be succesful, the (new) class has to come out... better than before. This revamp was made almost entirely with end-game content in mind, and yet.. I don't get the impression that this class will be more worth using than the Sacrier, overall, and certainly not nearly as fun.

You know, I was fine with copying some of the things from Wakfu, but this is ridiculous. I actually really -liked- the earth/fire sacrier spells on wakfu from about a year or more ago, and would have been fine with just those changes! plus the addition to damage on attraction/transposition, which I basically predicted.

I sincerely hope that Ankama holds back on this revamp, and admits that this just isn't a Sacrier. Heck, change the skin a little a little and give it a new name.

7 people like this

35 minutes ago, Snarkles said:

giphy.gif

These needs to be posted more.

For those of who are curious, here is my post from the OF, where I broke down the announcment and gave my criticism.

Reveal hidden contents

No, this is bad. Thanks, you just ruined Sacriers forever for me, big time. I don't think I am exaggerating. This basically makes it so that I have little reason to play any further.

What Ankama needed to do was strengthen the utility that Sacriers had, by adding damage to trans/coop/attraction, giving them a bit of extra range, and consolidating punishments into ones for damage, movement, and tankiness. They needed to directly address what players thought made them weak for a few of the endgame dungeons (because other than that, Sacriers were great) in order to improve their quality of life basically. Erosion honestly was not the issue in those situations. It was problematic, sure, but it wasn't what made tanking/playing tough there for sacriers, it was the lack of specialization/simple survivability. Instead, they just deleted the class and carried over a few of the spells, from Dofus and Wakfu.

1)The Punishments are fugly. Not just graphically, but from a design standpoint as well. This sort of gameplay, changing states just like Osamodas, makes absolutely NO SENSE for Sacriers. While an Osamodas might change states to imitate a certain type of creature, or a Masq might change mask to adopt a different fight style, it doesn't make sense for Sacriers to change things up. They're more like Iops or Cras - they stay the same, meatshielding berserkers, but have the utility to swing things in their favour. THAT was what Ankama needed to do.

2)The removal of the earth build feels like a huge blow. Sacriers have always been able to capitalize on weakness to any element, not just for damage, but to tank better by stealing HP. This isn't the worst possible thing that could happen, but losing elemental versatility feels really awful, as I've almost always played an omni sacrier that could handle pretty much any group of monsters.

3)The air spells are copied over from Wakfu, but I'm sad to see the "Motion Sickness" mechanic didn't get copied over. Fire spells - I have no issue, these are also copied over from Wakfu and still kind of fit the class. Water spells: these are okay, Projection reminds me of that one fist attack from Wakfu. I would have even preferred these to be More similar to the wakfu earth spells, which all added durability to the sacrier in the form of coagulation iirc.

4) The utility spells: these should have been the main focus of a Sacrier revamp, in addition to adding more ranged damage. Most of these things I predicted, but one I did not was "Bodyguard". Why on earth would sacrificing a target make the caster take even more damage? It's bad enough when you take into account the next point..

5) The characteristic points. I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, sure, if you played Sacrier, you pretty much Had to go full vitality, it was the best choice, most often. I can see why Ankama would change this to make players feel they have more options.
On the other hand though... if you played Sacrier, you didn't mind this, at all. You go into this class or keep playing this class knowing full well your stat points were going into vit, and you were fine with it.. or you liked it, that was the point after all! You were going to use a punishment or two, tank some hits, and gain the stats that way, and enjoy having a huge HP pool to draw from.

6)This is the last and most important criticism. For a revamp to be succesful, the (new) class has to come out... better than before. This revamp was made almost entirely with end-game content in mind, and yet.. I don't get the impression that this class will be more worth using than the Sacrier, overall, and certainly not nearly as fun.

You know, I was fine with copying some of the things from Wakfu, but this is ridiculous. I actually really -liked- the earth/fire sacrier spells on wakfu from about a year or more ago, and would have been fine with just those changes! plus the addition to damage on attraction/transposition, which I basically predicted.

I sincerely hope that Ankama holds back on this revamp, and admits that this just isn't a Sacrier. Heck, change the skin a little a little and give it a new name.

I really don't get your post. :0 As far as I can tell (admittedly as someone who has played as a Sacrier for like, maybe a month total), this is a pretty positive change for Sacs. They're not shoehorned into one role they don't really play well anymore, and are given the gift of more versatility at the expense of some meat-sackery. I think that's a welcome change, and I'm excited to see how it was implemented. I think it might be a bit too soon to be casting such judgment on the changes (sans the nixing of Strength as an element, I can feel that pain). 

If there's something I'm just not getting please tell me. xD

4 people like this

I find it weird that they made all positioning spells deal damage. What killed sacriers in PvM in the first place was that their lack of range exposed them to a lot of activated effects in f3 for 2/3 turns. It also wrecks challenges and fights with some idols.

2 people like this

26 minutes ago, Scour said:

If there's something I'm just not getting please tell me. xD

I can try.

1)For starters, this isn't really a sacrier anymore. The revamp didn't address any issues Sacriers faced at endgame (and believe me, except for lvl 200+ dungeons, sacriers are amazing) and didn't even attempt to fix them. It wasn't too hard, I've made and seen many really excellent suggestions here and on the OF.

2)This revamp doesn't give more versatility. There is nothing this revamp does that gives the class any new aspect, any new gameplay, which I'm okay with actually, but it's the way it was done. Don't let the new punishments and attacks fool you, there is nothing the new sac does that the current one cannot in some other form.

3)Earth branch removed. Reduced versatility in gear, weapons, and monsters it can face well. Completely unnecessary.

4)Punishments are ugly as fuck. And I know ankama is going to want to keep them, because they don't want it to go to waste. The voyager punishment makes absolutely no sense for a sacrier to even have. complete bullshit.

OH, and one more thing.. changing the softcaps, which I said I could sorta understand in my post, simply removes what made this class unique. : I

Edited by Snarkles
12 people like this

2 minutes ago, ElMatematico said:

I find it weird that they made all positioning spells deal damage. What killed sacriers in PvM in the first place was that their lack of range exposed them to a lot of activated effects in f3 for 2/3 turns. It also wrecks challenges and fights with some idols.

I know right? Secondary effects in general, like movement, -ap/mp, etc, screwed over a lot of spells, which is why the meta of specialists appeared at endgame. Classes that could deal pure damage - iop/rogue/cra coupled with a lot of map control - enu/panda.

Edited by Snarkles

I don't like states on characters at all. Okay, eca's clover/wof are bearable (pls I use clover hardly ever when I MUST on duos etc so idc about it). Panda's drunk/sober states are also bearable since you can use bamboo milk each turn for only 1ap cost and boozer 2x per turn and sometimes Zato wrath too for min ap cost. Masqs states kinda tired me when I was playing masq in my pvm team, okay they give bonuses such as dod, lock and power but I'd be more ok to have 1additional ap each time I want to change masq instead of these bonuses. For me it's just waste of time when you must change your state. 

Back on topic. I'm not sure if I undesrtood correctly... all int spells always deal dmg to sac? o.O GG int sacs for untachable/contamination challs. I don't like -dmg or -vit ideas and if you summ it up with no vit base sacs... they are even worse. 

Luckily I don't have geared sacrier with decent lvl for endgame pvms so I don't have to worry about leveling and gearing up one. That's the only good thing I can see ._.

3 people like this

don't forget the most important think: the most cancerous visual design made by the most autist nobrain ankama artists who deserves to be fired x9000 times af, like wtf is dat pure shit piece of a radiated mutant flesh :ccc

6 people like this

I would just like to point out that there were very similar outcries when osa changes were announced with no details.

Maybe wait to pass judgement and then be very active/vocal during beta to help things in a good direction. 

6 people like this

25 minutes ago, Snarkles said:

I know right? Secondary effects in general, like movement, -ap/mp, etc, screwed over a lot of spells, which is why the meta of specialists appeared at endgame. Classes that could deal pure damage - iop/rogue/cra coupled with a lot of map control - enu/panda.

They killed the class with all the new dung mechanics. Tanking is no longer something that can be done for most and it's a shame because it's an aspect of games that quite a few people enjoy doing. They might have been able to re-emphasize the role to make it work again but with the way all these gimmick mechanics work now I'm not so sure. Personally I think it's sad. 

2 people like this

Just now, Quadro said:

don't forget the most important think: the most cancerous visual design made by the most autist nobrain ankama artists who deserves to be fired x9000 times af, like wtf is dat pure shit piece of a radiated mutant flesh :ccc

I mean.. again, they don't like to change their minds on things.. or to scrap things they already drew. Same people that for years now, have made less original art, and parodied environments and characters more and more.

I hate to go back to Wakfu, but the visual changes they added to sacriers when low on HP were actually a lot better. In wakfu, you had their tattoos basically come alive as ghostly arms when they were low on HP, increasing their damage/lock. If you just look at sacriers in artwork, I don't see why they wouldn't do that in dofus, but with blood instead.

UGH, honestly, if they just replaced sacriers with their wakfu equivalent from about a year or two ago, I'd be complaining so much less. XD

1 person likes this

They scrapped the "more mature look" for the Osa revamp, so there is still hope.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Kersemetsu said:

I would just like to point out that there were very similar outcries when osa changes were announced with no details.

Maybe wait to pass judgement and then be very active/vocal during beta to help things in a good direction. 

I totally understand your point, but this is a little different. I honestly don't want to get on beta because I think the class as it is is dead, and knowing ankama, they are not going to change anything that actually matters. I will anyway though, and fight this until the end, but I think come december I won't have a sacrier anymore.

I've been playing this since beta, if I was one to pass judgement early and ragequit, I wouldn't be here today. I've taken breaks/left the game for a year at a time just from lack of interest, but never because of a revamp or change to the game. :P

1 person likes this

Even I could draw the sac better, ugly af

2 people like this

If this update actually goes through and pisses off all the Sacs, the class you should all change to is Huppermage. It's the closest class to Sac at the moment imo, and it needs some love.

3 people like this