• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
  • Announcements

• Rob

Include a selling / offering price   06/11/17

A reminder that all marketplace topics (with exception to Real Estate) should include either selling or offering price. Click Here.
Leafshade

SinkTool - Opinions about the UI before proceeding.

27 posts in this topic

Good day, everyone!

I have started work on a project which I was thinking about for a long time.

The idea of this web application is to help mages calculate their sink easily (of course, battle-hardened mages don't need that) without the risk of having a weary head after hours and hours of continuous maging. Select stat dropped, type in amount, click next. Bam. Same for applying runes. Select rune and bam. Done. Sink is there, no need to multiply or divide, or whatever else you guys do.

Here's a first preview of the UI which WILL NEED a lot of improvements before the release version of the website. I would like to ask everyone here about what I should improve/change/add/remove. I want to make it as user-friendly as possible, so your opinions will guide me on the right path!

First preview:

ID2HA9j.png

It is currently only a web based layout (meaning, the mobile version is still far from there), but since Bootstrap is fluid/mobile-friendly, with some changes to code I should be able to make it usable for both PC and mobile/tablet without too many troubles.

Please, criticize the shit out of this, I NEED TO KNOW EVERYTHING THAT HAS TO BE CHANGED :D

Kind regards,

Vanguard.

peace out. 

Edited by Vanguard
Reason for editing: Formatting.
2 people like this

amg tbh i'm not sure how it will be used

i assume u'd still need to manually enter all the info from ur maging interface to ur website? cuz for example u yolo a missing ap, and there's 3 cases, full success, success but failed stats (which also influences numerous stats and the current sinks), and full fail (which also influences all mentioned shit); and how will ur website recognise everything?

i mean, if we still have to manually add everything to the website, then one should just better use a traditional windows calculator with a wiki maging page open, would be faster xd

As an avid magus, this sounds like a horrible idea. Maging it meant to be  fluid, fast process. If you were to manually input everything into this site everytime something dropped, you'd spend three or four time longer maging the item. Time is probably the biggest value when coming to maging. 

There is one thing that would make it a valuable tool however. 

After a certain rune (for overmaging) the chance (in %) of an item sticking decreased, unless critting.

E.g Lets say gelano is being overmaged vit 0--50 vit (90%), --> 100vit --> (70) .... 150-->200 vit (1%) 

Those aren't real numbers, but there are real numbers like those. It'll help people calculate the chance of putting say 2% res on an item vs 6 % res (both of which are doable, just at different chances) Then you'd have to factor in how many tries (based off the counting of sink) and general mage of the item.

^ that would be ridiculously hard but so valuable even i would use it. \

Didn't mean to ruin hopes and dreams, but don't want you to waste your time either. 

The way I was thinking when I started working on the design was quite simple. Let me give an example:

Let's say you try to mage a Moowolf Ring. You got Vit, Str, Agi, Dam, Range, Ini, PP, Fire% and Neu(Lin).

You slap on a MP rune on it and it fails, resulting in dropping stats.

Let's say it dropped 30 Str 20 Agi 2 Dam. All you have to do is to select the stat in the dropdown menu (which I will edit to make it a fast and easy process, not having to look for the desired stat under the 40 others) and enter how much of the stat you dropped.

So I select Strength, enter the number 30. Then Agility, enter the number 20. Then Damage, enter the number 2. Hit enter. On the top-right corner, the sink value will change and show you how much sink you have left on the item. There's no more need to multiply sink * dropped amount, no more need to look up the sink values (let's not forget, there are a lot of people who actually keep the Wiki Magus page open). You won't have to do any calculating at all, if you'd choose to use the SinkTool.

I know that it will be insanely hard to get experienced people to try and see if this is a tool they'd use. I mean, I can't really express how much I've looked for this feature all those years until I was forced to learn the sink table like the ABC or the multiplication table. It would just be a handy tool that maybe could increase the amount of people actually maging items for themselves, since most of them (including me sometimes) are staying away from maging harder stuff.

peace out.

basically it's a plain newb calculator for newbs not knowing anything about sink value? xd

anyway that newb should in the 1st place learn the sink system already, or else he'll not understand shit xd

1 person likes this

34 minutes ago, Quadro said:

basically it's a plain newb calculator for newbs not knowing anything about sink value? xd

anyway that newb should in the 1st place learn the sink system already, or else he'll not understand shit xd

Well, all in all... Quite positive with that use of the SinkTool.
With the Addition into Steam (Soon™) I guess a lot of new folks will show up and if anyone would decide to mage (will take some time to get that far, but still), this tool should be handy.

I'm basically happy if there's even one user for the Tool. That'd make me more than happy :D

1 person likes this

kk well but it sure needs to be a lot more user-friendly, pro players won't find this necessary and i personally won't use it, while nub players won't understand shit (about sink  or even maging system overall), they'll then need to go to wiki to read about maging system 1st, anyway there will be sink table already making ur project not very appealing

honestly idk how to make it more attractive for newbs, but u gotta think about it before making stuff xd

Whoevers going to use it, with just a "what stat did you drop" input there's arguably no realistic output since it dropped while adding a certain rune. Which is subtracted from the sink generated by the dropped stats. 

Let's say I add pa wis, it fails but drops range. I actually have 42 sink instead of the suggested 51. The idea is good, in practise however I think it's much faster and more efficient to just have a table with sink stats (from wiki for instance) and do the math yourself. 

1 person likes this

good tool i rate 50/8

I feel you're vastly overcomplicating the process of (rune sink x quantity) - added rune =  current sink.

Like Bob also said, as a bare minimum you should be including the value of the rune you just added which resulted in the drop. Especially since the target audience of this would have no idea how to calculate that either, apparently. The actual important aspect is the count of runes you're adding back after the drop though; rather than the initial value. From the looks of it you're also neglecting multiple stats dropping at the same time?

While it's always good seeing functional sites, sometimes things are simple enough already. I'm pretty sure you'd be better off creating a more intuitive table with cute little pictures than cause yourself trouble where it isn't due.  

tl;dr just use a calculator. 

1 person likes this

Well, all of what you guys makes sense. I can actually do a nice little table with all the runes and information about them. Would that be appealing to the community?

2 people like this

The only way I could see this being of use (and being a success) is when the application could actually 'read' the screen and auto-calculate the sink for you. 

But I'm pretty sure you'd have to acces game code or whatnot meaning it'd be against the rules.

I like the initiative though.

2 people like this

I'll definitely look into ways to improve the gaming experience of players, even if it's not a SinkTool. If anyone has additional ideas - please let me know!

27 minutes ago, Handz said:

The only way I could see this being of use (and being a success) is when the application could actually 'read' the screen and auto-calculate the sink for you. 

But I'm pretty sure you'd have to acces game code or whatnot meaning it'd be against the rules.

I like the initiative though.

it shouldnt* be if it were an overlay that just read the screen and did the math from a database. 

Much harder to code but its still possible. 

think something like this, but adapted to read the dofus maging screen and it would show up and calculate stat changes after a rune is used;

07878b0fbc8a902bcc691847708b3c77.gif

Although something like that would have to be run past izmar or something to be 100% certain despite not interfering with the game itself in any way

Edited by Tamamo-no-Mae
1 person likes this

Hey this is an interesting tool. I think if you solve the problem of the tedious nature of data entry you would have a very useful app.

An ideal way (apart from an overlay or api from ankama) would be if you could copy and paste the text from the maging window into a box on the website and click a button. Onclick() it can ignore all the useless data and pass the important info on to whatever function is already calculating the sink.

Extra points if copy pasting auto reloads the page with sink and also keeps previous attempts in history until session ends or user clears it.

You can have a very clean interface, you only need a page with a text box to let people copy paste the text from dofus.

I'm impressed by what you have so far, good work.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Isenu said:

Hey this is an interesting tool. I think if you solve the problem of the tedious nature of data entry you would have a very useful app.

An ideal way (apart from an overlay or api from ankama) would be if you could copy and paste the text from the maging window into a box on the website and click a button. Onclick() it can ignore all the useless data and pass the important info on to whatever function is already calculating the sink.

Extra points if copy pasting auto reloads the page with sink and also keeps previous attempts in history until session ends or user clears it.

You can have a very clean interface, you only need a page with a text box to let people copy paste the text from dofus.

I'm impressed by what you have so far, good work.

Thiiiiiisss!! This is the idea which makes the tool useful af :D I am insanely grateful for this, I'll start working on it right away

1 person likes this

If you can manage that, I'll definitely use the tool.

And if you go even further and turn the tool into a full on OSBuddy style overlay for Dofus I will worship you. 

Edited by Masive
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Masive said:

If you can manage that, I'll definitely use the tool.

And if you go even further and turn the tool into a full on OSBuddy style overlay for Dofus I will worship you. 

Sadly, Ankama wouldn't like the 2nd option :/ And I'd like to keep it browser based

There's no shame in admitting you're not able to create a dynamic sink calculator without hooking the client.

I think you guys are confused. OSBuddy does inject into RuneScape exactly like a bot would do and such a program would never be allowed by Ankama. Most of the lead developers used to code bots. Although I've never really played RuneScape properly I did play it for about a month and checkout OSBuddy so I'm not in the loop but I'd assume they allow the client to run because it's far better to play softball with people who know the ins and outs of your games inner workings in this context.

2 people like this

I know next to nothing about maging, and would love any tool that takes the thought out of it.  Yes, I can just open up a calculator and work out the sink manually, but I don't think there's anything to lose if there's a tool that could calculate that for me.

I personally would like to mage on Dofus Touch (on my phone) while at the same time having the tool open on my PC, so the copy/paste method (though super useful) wouldn't help me.  It would be good to have the option to either copy/paste or manually enter the data.

Edited by Vahe
1 person likes this

Alright, the news now:

I've sorted all the runes according to type/sink power into a nice "table" on this website.

I am looking into ways to make the web-app read the values from the game text which is displayed in the top-left side when maging. I've found some ways, but I am trying to find a solution which won't include creating software which as to be installed, as I'd rather have it web-based. If anyone has any suggestion - I'd be glad if you could share them.

hey, all good but reflect dmg is not 30 but 10 power, dis verified on practice by my guildie (deejavus), wiki was mistaken for quite a long time (also there is +4 reflect exomage existing so 30 power is impossible)

33 minutes ago, Quadro said:

hey, all good but reflect dmg is not 30 but 10 power, dis verified on practice by my guildie (deejavus), wiki was mistaken for quite a long time (also there is +4 reflect exomage existing so 30 power is impossible)

Thanks a lot, Quadro. I've changed it up. ^^

P.S. Made the images clickable which now redirect the user to the Wiki page of the chosen rune.

Edited by Leafshade

1 hour ago, Leafshade said:

Alright, the news now:

I've sorted all the runes according to type/sink power into a nice "table" on this website.

I am looking into ways to make the web-app read the values from the game text which is displayed in the top-left side when maging. I've found some ways, but I am trying to find a solution which won't include creating software which as to be installed, as I'd rather have it web-based. If anyone has any suggestion - I'd be glad if you could share them.

I'm a big fan of having users input the text via copy/paste and then having the program extract the necessary data from the copy-pasted text. Have you tried that yet and found issues with it already?

Hmm a little deeper thinking and even if you entered the text into a program, how would that program figure out what rune was used if the mage was a failure? You're smarter than me with this programming thing, so I'll nose my way out...

54 minutes ago, Masive said:

I'm a big fan of having users input the text via copy/paste and then having the program extract the necessary data from the copy-pasted text. Have you tried that yet and found issues with it already?

Hmm a little deeper thinking and even if you entered the text into a program, how would that program figure out what rune was used if the mage was a failure? You're smarter than me with this programming thing, so I'll nose my way out...

No issues, just the idea of the web-app automatically taking the values from your screen and calulating in real-time.

That's a thing I haven't thought about yet, I'll give it some thought.