• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
  • Announcements

• Rob

Include a selling / offering price   06/11/17

A reminder that all marketplace topics (with exception to Real Estate) should include either selling or offering price. Click Here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Coopers

The Inter-Server Kolossium Alpha Test

61 posts in this topic

The Inter-Server Kolossium (ISK) has been long-awaited by many of you. We have been working on this system for a long time and now we need your help to go further.

We need to test a number of features with real players, which is why the alpha version of ISK is now available on the beta server. However, not all of the ISK’s functionalities are available at this time and some of them are still in development.

0b461f8e5b686df09845442d6a5ac8dc.jpg

In this first version of the ISK, we are focussing on the dynamic transfer of characters between the game’s servers and the ISK dedicated servers. The principle works like this: when a battle has been located, characters are transferred to a specific ISK server where they will compete. After the battle, the characters are transferred back to their home server once more. (Currently, once combat is over, returning to the home server entails a logging out phase then a logging in phase. This should no longer be the case in the final version.

The character transfer towards the ISK server is transparent to the player (no intermediate loading).

However, in this alpha version, it is not currently possible to access social features related to the origin server, e.g., no private messages, guild or alliance chat, Perceptor or prism attack notifications for example. It is, however, possible to communicate with team members who are in current battle. This aspect is in the process of being developed and should be ready for the final release of the ISK.

This is a fairly complex aspect of the ISK’s development that involves allowing the DOFUS client to maintain multiple, simultaneous connections to multiple servers (the origin game server and the ISK combat server).
We do not envisage deploying the ISK without allowing players to stay in touch with players from their server.

Unfortunately there is one feature that will not be included in the final release of the ISK, and that is spectator mode.

The current spectator mode was not designed to be able to follow several hundred simultaneous battles (grouping together Kolossium fights across fifty or more servers involves a potentially huge number of battles, which the current interface would not be able to sort and identify correctly). In order to include a spectator mode as it is currently along with the ISK, the entire interface would need to be rehauled and, in particular, it would require development of a means of transferring the details of every ISK battle in progress to each server, while allowing you to “log into” any ISK battle.

We realise that this functionality is important to you but the development resources required to integrate it into interserver mode would be too substantial and delay the project for a much longer time; therefore, we made the decision not to include it in the final ISK release in order to allow us to concentrate on the main functionalities of the ISK system. We will continue to look for solutions in order to integrate spectator mode, but for now, we can give you no guarantee this will happen.

The system which allows filtering of characters who register in teams and those who are matched up by random matchmaking hasn’t been integrated into this alpha version yet. We will continue to work on it and we intend to incorporate this into the final release of the ISK. Similarly, the dual rating system (random matching and fixed) is not available in the alpha release but should be available in the final version. Character ratings will be reset for the final release.

The rating and matchmaking system (which selects characters for teams) will not be revised. We feel the current system works, but the lack of characters entered in the Kolossium sometimes causes abnormally unbalanced fights. We want to try out the current system in an environment with large numbers of characters and available fights before undertaking significant changes.

However, for the final release of the ISK, we are planning to make several changes to the matchmaking system in order to encourage the creation of teams using characters from the same server or same community. But we do not want to focus on matching up two teams who come from the same server or from the same community.

We cannot announce a release date for the final version of the ISK yet. We are going to test the alpha version on the test server and, in parallel, we are going to finish off any missing functionalities in the months to come.

The ISK has been designed around software architecture and hardware that is scalable; fights can be dynamically distributed across several servers in order to support a substantial number of battles at times when there is a high volume of traffic.

When the system is ready, we will gradually activate the ISK across the various servers while assuring that performance and your game experience are optimised. During this transition period, some servers will use the classic Kolossium system and some will be using the ISK system. We will ensure that this transition is as short as possible.

We apologise once again for the major delays that have taken place during the development of this major functionality. The DOFUS game servers were not designed to communicate with one another and we have repeatedly underestimated the complexity of this project and the work needed to rethink and scale up our software architecture.

We are just as eager as you are to finally enable characters from different servers to battle each other and to make finding Kolossium battles much easier.

Happy testing!

Source: http://www.dofus.com/en/mmorpg/news/devblog/tickets/443313-inter-server-kolossium-alpha-test

9 people like this

wow early access, wheres my steam key???

3 people like this

I was just about to link that to a new thread.

I guess I'm too slow for you, Coopers.

Anyway, it sounds like communication to the home server will be limited, if it's ever available, in the beginning. As for the lack of spectator mode, why not create save videos?

Big props to Ankama for integrating this. Too bad spectator mode can't be implemented

5 people like this

Not surprising about spectator mode, glad they have been open and honest about it from the get go.

3 people like this

I guess that is where the streamer community comes in! I can't wait!

3 people like this

Nice.

1 person likes this

Oh oui oui sounds good.

This might bring me back to dofus. lol

3 people like this

nice :)

I guess the lack of spectator mode fixes the issue of why watch a laggy stream when you can watch the fight on dofus, still a shame since I don't foresee thee number of streamers ever equaling the number of kolo fights.

Oh well this is really just the lazy zaap sitter in me complaining I won't be able to watch my friends kolo as easy now, glad to see ankama is making progress in the right direction for once. Hopefully once they get done with ISK we can see some more interesting updates to the PvM side of the game again

what about something like recording fights for later viewing, kinda like how you have video codes for pokemon competitive online

2 people like this

I think Ankama sees streaming as the perfect fix for the lack of spectator, I don't think they will be trying to find another way around it any time soon

1 person likes this

HYPE HYPE HYPE

1 person likes this

what about something like recording fights for later viewing, kinda like how you have video codes for pokemon competitive online

Where would they save to? Would it be like, after the fight you can press a button to save a replay? I can see that happening.

Awesome news. :)

Sure streamers can stream their own fights, but it would be only nice to watch those real pvpers with their amazing fights. :P We watch those that has amazing plays. And not every streamer is the best pvper. (or got a decent quality :( ) And since when are streamers a thing on Dofus and we discuss about them??

Cas it's time to shine for you :P

Anyway happy to see this :) Lets see how much people will complain about other stuff now XD

Edited by xDirewolves
4 people like this

Despite not personally caring about kolo, the hypest update in a long time. And the best part of it is Ankama will finally conquer this everest and get to think of other content for the game.

[Click here to apply to Sugars annual kolo team, 2k16 edition]

7 people like this

Finally time to make a kolo team :wub:

btw did anyone laugh at the "alpha testing on the beta server" part? :ph34r: B-)

Also a +1 for the honesty of ankama, discussing problems and making apologies for the delay

7 people like this

I did laugh. Well, this might rekindle my interest in Dofus totally, right now I'm just doing kolo. With inter-server kolo, I can see myself just devoting to one character pvp.

5 people like this

I thought it would never come! I may still be right...

4 people like this

this will make dofus a more popular game than it is now , as its no longer a game you will be bored playing because there is nothing to do .....

when kolo came out it was the best cure for zaap sitting and not doing anything ,but right now there will be no zaap sitting , u just log in and keep koloing ....

this will make dofus as enjoyable as other games out there like LOL and others , and will be an actual stress reliever , a game that play after a long day and enjoy .....

GG ankama

8 people like this

I hope they do something for 1 vs 1 too then dofus can be interesting again. It really should not bring us just honour points ( it's not even honour when you pvp with op classes.. but oh with iop maybe ) and bigger wings.

3 people like this

Yeah, I believe it is time to work on the 1 Vs 1 System, pvping like that it just rocks!!
And it should provide rewards for those who pvp !!

Hope this day comes back,

1 person likes this

Well, until they fix the matter of kamas and class imbalance (which I think they won't), 1v1s are gonna suck whatever the rewards might be.

1 person likes this