• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tragrim

Wakfu taking a F2P stance in the near future (WAKFU, obviously)

http://www.wakfu.com/en/forum/193-news/165492-wakfu-strikes-back?page=1#entry748842

So this is happening.

/goes back to hiding

EDIT: more links!

About the new F2P system (as it hasn't been posted yet)

http://www.wakfu.com...eat-news?page=1

About what will happen to your current sub (if you have any)

http://www.wakfu.com...players-rewards

FAQ and links to the previously mentioned topics.

http://www.wakfu.com...odel-change-faq

Edited by The-Sadist
3 people like this

Between changes to the subscription model and a new pvp system, might be time to try out Wakfu again... (hi banu pls leech)

I'm currently playing ESO, I just check Wakfu for the nostalgia and whatnot :P. I'm also not a fan of F2P system... But I might jump back in now it's F2P for lols.

Possibly a very good change in my opinion. Although you never know what other changes they may have made to the WAPAC model in the process of introducing it to the rest of the communities. Many people expected this since the success of WAPAC, myself included. We'll just have to see how it goes, may even give Wakfu another shot.

2 people like this

I really really want to like Wakfu. It's pretty and I like the idea of it.

But it's lacking something. I hope this is a nudge to the right direction, because I'm still waiting to play that Wakfu game I imagined back in the days of first... second.. even third beta major build.

2 people like this

Ermurgurd this might actually get me playing again. =o

Sounds like the beginning of the end.

5 people like this

I think its great i know a lot of people that will go back to wakfu now including myself probably and who knows maybe people will return to Nox and Remington and what not ^^

Sounds like the beginning of the end.

My thoughts exactly!

1 person likes this

This will probably ruin the community. Which is a shame since Wakfu is reliant on having a good community in order to function effectively.

But at the same time, Wakfu definitely seems like a game that can only thrive if they make it free. Dofus is in its current situation because it took root in France and abroad early, and there's a core group of subscribers that have been playing for 7-9 years and aren't going anywhere, with new subscribers trickling in too just because of Dofus' recognition. Kind of like World of Warcraft but many orders of magnitude less.

Meanwhile Wakfu was never truly hyped, and it's a much more recent release... The subscription model is outdated these days. MMO's are expected to be free to play with possible pay-to-win microtransactions in the cash shop. I think League of Legends is why this model is successful expected now.

This will probably ruin the community. Which is a shame since Wakfu is reliant on having a good community in order to function effectively.

But at the same time, Wakfu definitely seems like a game that can only thrive if they make it free. Dofus is in its current situation because it took root in France and abroad early, and there's a core group of subscribers that have been playing for 7-9 years and aren't going anywhere, with new subscribers trickling in too just because of Dofus' recognition. Kind of like World of Warcraft but many orders of magnitude less.

Meanwhile Wakfu was never truly hyped, and it's a much more recent release... The subscription model is outdated these days. MMO's are expected to be free to play with possible pay-to-win microtransactions in the cash shop. I think League of Legends is why this model is successful expected now.

There's hardly a community left to ruin, if you ask me. The international community has been slowly but surely slipping away for quite some time. Like you say, Wakfu didn't take off too well to begin with, and it was downhill from there for a long time, unfortunately.

Looking at the gaming scene these days, this change is completely normal. I don't agree with your LoL is the reason everyone is expecting f2p and microtransactions reasoning, though. My hatred for the game aside (DOTA represent), plenty of other big titles have gone with the same model, or switched to it eventually. Otherwise, like you mentioned, the p2p model is a dinosaur and is rarely seen except for old successful titles or greedy new ones like Wildstar (can really tell the devs are ex-blizzard by the payment model).

More on the particular topic, I'm interested to see how this plays out, non-premium restriction wise. They've hinted a couple of times the models will sort of differ between communities, although I don't imagine it would be something too crazy or drastic, but still.

I can personally say a lot of friends will be returning to wakfu. but at the same time there are down falls such as the fact many people will multi account seeing as it will be free people will most likly have 6 accounts which will make the game less social and less fun. but i feel the people that went To the free wakfu may come back to The international servers such as Nox Or Remington which i think is fantastic. but the issues are

Less Social Aspect of wakfu

Having to solo everything because people have there own teams ( if they make more accounts when its free)

all in all i think there are benefits to this but also bad things as well i personally don't want it to become Free to play because i think doing so will ruin the economy even more and make a lot of people unhappy. because mainly if they wanted to play for free they would of went to the already free one i dont think people mind paying 6$ a month to have a better environment and also what about Voting for people to elect the govenor of the nation. also i think this could potentially make it possible or more possible to have Kama Sellers In Wakfu When they make it free and way more bots. (which i think will ruin the economy).

Looking at the gaming scene these days, this change is completely normal. I don't agree with your LoL is the reason everyone is expecting f2p and microtransactions reasoning, though. My hatred for the game aside (DOTA represent), plenty of other big titles have gone with the same model, or switched to it eventually. Otherwise, like you mentioned, the p2p model is a dinosaur and is rarely seen except for old successful titles or greedy new ones like Wildstar (can really tell the devs are ex-blizzard by the payment model).

You can talk down LoL all you want but there's literally no denying that the game single-handedly changed the entire MMO genre. Big titles have had the same subscription style, yes. Flyff comes to mind, etc. But League of Legends is much more popular than any of those Asian imports. It catapulted e-sports out of its obscure niche and into the mainstream, and made streaming websites like own3d/Twitch a legitimate source of entertainment along with shit like Netflix and cable. LoL is popular in the mainstream, and it beat the shit out of its competitors during its rise to fame, which was before DOTA 2 came around.

I think LoL is totally shit too because of its awful community, but you can't possibly deny that it changed the game...

Edited by Kiba

I'll lay wakfu now.

You can talk down LoL all you want but there's literally no denying that the game single-handedly changed the entire MMO genre. Big titles have had the same subscription style, yes. Flyff comes to mind, etc. But League of Legends is much more popular than any of those Asian imports. It catapulted e-sports out of its obscure niche and into the mainstream, and made streaming websites like own3d/Twitch a legitimate source of entertainment along with shit like Netflix and cable. LoL is popular in the mainstream, and it beat the shit out of its competitors during its rise to fame, which was before DOTA 2 came around.

I think LoL is totally shit too because of its awful community, but you can't possibly deny that it changed the game...

I can most certainly deny that it didn't "change the game" single-handedly, which was my intent. Did it have a significant impact on the gaming scene model-wise? Sure. Anyway, let's not turn this into some sort of Dota vs Lol fanboy thread with this whole LoL did this before Dota 2 because that's just silly among other things. And to be fair, Dota 2 also has a horrible community, as do pretty much all competitive games.

Getting back on topic, some more info was revealed on how things will work: http://www.wakfu.com/en/forum/193-news/165641-wakfu-new-benefits-more-great-news?poid=749595

The drop rate increases for premium folk seem suspiciously low and I sure as hell hope they don't intend to add those to base drop rates, although that seems too silly even for them, not to mention probably hard to execute. That would most likely stir up a Wakfu shitstorm of such magnitude, it would make Ogrest's chaos look like a walk in the park. Although it seems likely that they'll just cut f2p peep's xp/drop w/e gain by said measly percentage and offer it to p2p folk as a bonus. Either that, or booster packs are ridiculously cheap to account for the measly buffs. Of course this is all speculation until they specify how it will work. Love the comeback of the one click full health bread premium feature, though. That shit gets me every time.

Edit: Fixed sort of broken link.

Edited by Cajun
1 person likes this

Was playing wakfu for awhile and it is an Ok game. I always liked grinding the profs and the classes are much more interesting than in Dofus. It is pretty much dead though on Nox and the game isn't really worth playing until more people get on it. It was quite enjoyable upon release even with some of the bullshit aggroing and stuff. Doubt this change will get the population up, however.

Edited by Archangel-xx

Looking at these forums and then looking at the official forums and then the banter related to the issue on each, the comparison is amazing. Now I remember why I joined IV. :D

The game needs better decision-making by the developers. There's a lot right, but there's a lot wrong. They're tackling too much at the same time, without prioritizing the things that they should be prioritizing. Moreover, when they make a decision, they do it lacking the caution of how many people they'll upset.

When you make a change, as a developer you want to minimize backlash from the community. While it's impossible to please everyone, you can actively try to make the best changes that will upset the least. Wakfu development feels very wildfire in its approach on various game stances like gear and class balancing.

And it shows.

Do I think the F2P model will help the game? Well the main French server is retaining the current model due to their population being [literally] quadruple of all other communities combined. The other servers are these tiny communities where you can fit the main well-known players in one Skype call. It couldn't hurt to have more people running around. I don't think everyone will be 6-clienting. Wakfu is the kind of game that needs people to show off what it's capable of.

It's supposed to be a sandbox game. And a sandbox game is only as strong as its population, which in most servers is next to zilch.

Edited by Salazar
2 people like this

About the new F2P system (as it hasn't been posted yet)

http://www.wakfu.com/en/forum/193-news/165641-wakfu-new-benefits-more-great-news?page=1

About what will happen to your current sub (if you have any)

http://www.wakfu.com/en/mmorpg/community/news/421734-wakfu-veteran-players-rewards

FAQ and links to the previously mentioned topics.

http://www.wakfu.com/en/forum/8-general-discussion/165693-wakfu-game-model-change-faq

Edited by The-Sadist
1 person likes this

I can most certainly deny that it didn't "change the game" single-handedly, which was my intent. Did it have a significant impact on the gaming scene model-wise? Sure. Anyway, let's not turn this into some sort of Dota vs Lol fanboy thread with this whole LoL did this before Dota 2 because that's just silly among other things. And to be fair, Dota 2 also has a horrible community, as do pretty much all competitive games.

Getting back on topic, some more info was revealed on how things will work: http://www.wakfu.com/en/forum/193-news/165641-wakfu-new-benefits-more-great-news?poid=749595

The drop rate increases for premium folk seem suspiciously low and I sure as hell hope they don't intend to add those to base drop rates, although that seems too silly even for them, not to mention probably hard to execute. That would most likely stir up a Wakfu shitstorm of such magnitude, it would make Ogrest's chaos look like a walk in the park. Although it seems likely that they'll just cut f2p peep's xp/drop w/e gain by said measly percentage and offer it to p2p folk as a bonus. Either that, or booster packs are ridiculously cheap to account for the measly buffs. Of course this is all speculation until they specify how it will work. Love the comeback of the one click full health bread premium feature, though. That shit gets me every time.

Edit: Fixed sort of broken link.

When a selling point for sub-time includes consuming bread with one click then you know that something is very wrong.

2 people like this