• Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ala

[Guide] [2017] How to edit the Dofus Wiki

32 posts in this topic

[Guide updated for 2017 by Gravestorm.]

You regularly use the Dofus Wiki to look up things, but you never really got into all the editing and updating. Now you found some info that's missing or wrong and you'd like to help out. But actually, you're not quite sure what to do.

This little guide is for you, then. It's meant to cover only the basics for casual Wiki users. If you have any questions regarding the Wiki feel free to ask them in this thread.

Editing an existing page

If you only want to edit minor information in a page, Visual Mode suffices, though if you want to change Templates or the page's structure, you must use Source Mode to avoid breaking the page (see the images below). If you have an account, you can also permanently disable Visual Mode and activate Source Mode in Special:Preferences -> Editing.

• Classic Editor/Visual Mode

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwOi8vdmlnbmV0dGU0Lndpa2lh

• Source Mode

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwOi8vdmlnbmV0dGUyLndpa2lh

• You see the source code of the page. And while you don't know what all the commands mean, you can easily recognize the page you saw earlier. You can start replacing the wrong or missing information. (Tip: If you forgot what you are editing, or just want to see if the page looks good, there are two Preview buttons in the right side "Mobile" and "Desktop", you should only use "Desktop", when you click it, the page you are currently editing will pop out with your changes so you can see if you made any mistakes that you can fix, your work will not be lost and you can continue editing by exiting the pop out that appeared.)
  • You're done with your edit now. In the right side there is the green button "Publish" that will save your changes, but just in case, check the page one last time with the "Desktop" button to see if everything looks good. Optionally, in the text box you can add what you just changed.

Creating a new page

Sometimes a page is just flat out missing, because no one got around to creating it yet. There are two things to consider before making a new page though: Did you miss the page because it's spelled differently? Is there a need for such a page? Once you checked that, be bold and create a page.

To create a page simply click the "Contribute" button in the top right and then the "Add a page" button that appears, after that enter the name of the new page and click "Next". You will see a very weird editor appear, just click "Cancel" and use the Classic Editor/Visual Mode/Source Mode as shown in the images above.

To make creating pages easier, there are Templates for pretty much any new page that you can copy paste and then fill in (Only when editing in Source Mode), you can find them here.

• Add a page

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwOi8vdmlnbmV0dGUxLndpa2lh

If you have any questions regarding the Wiki feel free to ask them in this thread!

Edited by Rob
[Guide updated for 2017 by Gravestorm.]
8 people like this

Excellent guide Ala, keep up th good work :D

When using a template, please do not use the format (questbox as an example):

{{Template:Questbox

|starting=

}}

Please use:

{{Questbox

|starting=

}}

Using the "Template:" prefix will often cause it to ignore some of the coding (such as the all-important categories). It's really annoying.

Awesome guide, nice work!

I've pinned this. I loves me a good picture guide.

Being pinned is great, but I personally think this should be added to the links guide in the pinned list and kept on regular, at least until it becomes less active.

Cause I definitely don't read pinned threads

Thanks for the tutorial. =)

It motivated me to update the info on the Frigost Quests Tables with requirements/description/rewards.

Loooove youuuu <3

So I just made the wiki editor plunge, I created a new item and noticed the Item ID Number field. I assume it is for things like linking information on sets and making sure things get in the right list. What generates the ID# and how/when should it be added?

Frankly, I have no clue either, I always leave it out. Galrauch frequently goes through pages and adds the ID. He can probably shed some light on where those ominous numbers come from.

The ID tag relates to one of the ID systems Ankama uses. As far as things go it's pretty unimportant and I wouldn't really worry about it if I were you.

If you are interested in adding it anyway, there's a couple of ways to find them out. For most items the simplest way is probably as follows:

1. Find the item on the Dofus website (under the Equipment/Resources part of the Game Guide).

2. View the page's source code.

3. Locate the item in the source code. The ID relating to the item is listed in a number of places and should be relatively easy to find ("<div id="ID number", [dofusitem=ID number] etc.).

This of course doesn't work for items which aren't listed on the website (due to being too new or w/e). Though for them all you can really do is trawl through item IDs and hope you stumble across them...

Edited by Malincia

Wow. That's a little more work than I thought. I think I will just wait for web database to be updated, then add it in later.

How do you edit equipment? I made a gorgoyle cape, and mine has over the max stats that it says (or at least wisdom) and the only edit buttons I can find are for changing the recipe side, not the actual side that shows the stats o_O

Because it displays templates (and the stat box is one of them) as green puzzle pieces.

You can switch to code view by clicking the "Source" button in the top right corner, that'll show you the whole code including templates (and it lets you edit of course). Gorgoyle Cape looks like this:

{{Infobox Equipment

|id =7278

|effects =

* +41~60 [[Vitality]]

* +21~30 [[strength]]

* +21~30 [[intelligence]]

* +16~20 [[Wisdom]]

* +3 [[Critical hit]]s

* +1 [[summon]]

* +8~10 [[Prospecting]]

* +4~6 [[Neutral]] [[Damage]]

* +4~6 [[Earth]] [[Damage]]

* +4~6 [[Fire]] [[Damage]]

* +3~4 [[AP loss resistance]]

* +6~8 [[Pushback damage]]

* +6~8 [[Resist water]]

* +6~8 [[Resist air]]

|conditions =

* None

|level =99

|type =Cloak

|value =

|weight =10

|description =Wrapped around your waist and passed between your legs, this cape will really emphasise your extra padding.}}

(etc.)

Alternatively, you can mouse over the green pieces and it should show you a little box where the content of the template is displayed. The stat box is the first one at the top. You can edit in the popup box too.

I'd suggest the code view though, because less accidents happen with that one and you're less likely to have problems with any of the formatting.

Ah nvm, I got it now lol. Silly me. I did iiiit

Edited by VcentG

somone has ruinied the scroll page with this

Edit

LOL I AM A UGLY GUY AND I HAVE NOD DICK AND I DELTED ALL OF THIS CAUSE AM A DICK HA HALOL I AM A UGLY GUY AND I HAVE NOD DICK AND I DELTED ALL OF THIS CAUSE AM A DICK HA HALOL I AM A UGLY GUY AND I HAVE NOD DICK AND I DELTED ALL OF THIS CAUSE AM A DICK HA HALOL I AM A UGLY GUY AND I HAVE NOD DICK AND I DELTED ALL OF THIS CAUSE AM A DICK HA HALOL I AM A UGLY GUY AND I HAVE NOD DICK AND I DELTED ALL OF THIS CAUSE AM A DICK HA HALOL

can anyone fix this =/ i know its alot of info but pretty essential

I was already wondering if I should write a paragraph about the "Undo" function, but thought the average non-registered user might not need that so often.

Oh well, I'll add that later, maybe. (Usually, the registered regulars check recent changes for vandalism, but I suppose it can't hurt to know how to use it.)

I was already wondering if I should write a paragraph about the "Undo" function, but thought the average non-registered user might not need that so often.

Oh well, I'll add that later, maybe. (Usually, the registered regulars check recent changes for vandalism, but I suppose it can't hurt to know how to use it.)

Rollback is quite easy aswell. Adding a part about registration and the extra stuff you can do with that might also be a good idea.

On the other side, I'm quite a noob with some things. Is there anyway the language files can be found somewhere? Ages ago, I used the dutch dofus site which had the correct translations of names etc. of items but that is gone. There is no way I can correctly predict how they translated stuff because sometimes, they changed it into weird things and looking everything up ingame is way to much work. I need language files or something so I can add correct info to the dutch wiki again ;)

Rollback is quite easy aswell. Adding a part about registration and the extra stuff you can do with that might also be a good idea.

Not many users have rollback rights. Rollback is a special form of undo, which lets you revert all edits by a particular user to the last edit by a different user.

Not really related to the guide but the dofus wiki now has a chat option.

Anybody who is up for testing it? I never seen to see any body online so Im wondering if it is working.

Thanks to this guide making me wiki-concious I've started fixing all the iop spells with their new 2.4 updates. Feel free to fix anything I mess up because I'm sure I might make a few mistakes or typos somewhere XD. So far I've done Jump, Vitality, Mutilation, Divine Sword, Destructive Sword and Compulsion.

Fawesome guide

Just wondering, but what's the update time to equipment lists?

Just wondering, but what's the update time to equipment lists?

To get the equipment pages to update you need to blank edit them.

Edited by Malincia

To get the equipment pages to update you need to blank edit them.

Can you elaborate? Never mind I'm dumb, for those dumb like me blank edit just means edit and publish.